VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·

Fiesta has pretty much maintained proportion over the years.

This shot makes them appear nearly the same size:

But this angle more accurately displays the slight growth of the modern:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Small Volks and big Volks. Old and new. Tiguan and Atlas. Turbo and turbo.
It was a nice day for a photo today. :)

🍺

Reactions: CostcoPizza

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,084 Posts
On the Fiesta example, I'd be curious to see how much the interior dimensions have changed. I assume the interiors have not grown at the same rate as the exterior dimensions.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
On the Fiesta example, I'd be curious to see how much the interior dimensions have changed. I assume the interiors have not grown at the same rate as the exterior dimensions.
I am sure some have grown- I remember trying on more than one 80s hatchback only to realize my knee didn't fit between the steering wheel and door.
That doesn't happen today.
Footprint may not have grown much.. but they are quite a bit taller now.
And 10000x safer.

Reactions: bnkrpt311

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I owned a Ford Fiesta 1st generation way back in my college years. It was a great car for the early 1980’s. If memory serves correctly, the interior was similar in size to a modern Fiesta; which was snug for my 6’4” body. The exterior has grown on the new models, but it is still a small car.

In terms of safety, the new car is much better in all ways. My old Fiesta weighed less than 1800 pounds. It had very few safety features. I would not want to consider the crashworthiness of the old car. :unsure:

🍺

Reactions: bnkrpt311

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,084 Posts
I am sure some have grown- I remember trying on more than one 80s hatchback only to realize my knee didn't fit between the steering wheel and door.
That doesn't happen today.
Footprint may not have grown much.. but they are quite a bit taller now.
And 10000x safer.
I feel like I see a lot of comments where people seem to talk about the growth of modern cars like it's a big negative. In reality, the inside space is very similar to the model's history. Yes the exterior gets bigger but that's more for safety and such versus just trying to purposely make the car bigger and bigger. Don't get me wrong, vehicles like the CRV grew out of their class and were then replaced with a new model.

·
Registered
50,352 Posts
I would like to see a photo of a 1st generation RAV4 parked next to the current RAV4. I still see 1st gen RAV4s in my area. Every time I see one I can't believe how small they are. Especially the 2 door models.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I remember checking out a friend's 2020 Outback and thinking that it wasn't much bigger on the inside than my 1996 Outback. There's definitely a lot more material between the interior and exterior though. Pillars and sills are so much thicker compared to the razor thin metal on the '96.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
:

:

Pretty neat that these pics are included in the auction, I don't exactly know why they are, but I love the looks of a Dino...

...angle makes them look fairly comparable size-wise, the 1M is rather small as far as modern cars go.

The straight shot shows more contrast in dimension, but not by a monstrous amount.

:

Here's several bonus pics of a Dino with other cars in normal daily traffic:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
Various Zippy Cars
2,150 Posts
My new acquisition. Took it into work today after some hefty preventative maintenance.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts