VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,478 Posts
Re: Acura owners :rolleyes: (VWturbonium)

what else would you expect out of another forum that likes a different car. the same bashing goes on in here. But you do have to agree witht he reliablity issues. my car has only been in the shop three times, twice for coilpacks and once for window regulators.

· Registered
68 Posts
Re: (VWturbonium)

I worked on Honda's and Acura's for and independent shop as well as working at a VW dealer for a year. So went my career as a professional wrench. I owned VW's the entire time! My boss at the Honda shop just couldn't figure out why. It is the drive that counts man. If you're a soccer mom or some history prof at the local community college, the Honda is for you because you just don't care that you're driving an appliance. And hey, Maytags are dead-on-balls reliable. But that crap bores me, and guys like me. Furthermore, Honda's new, totally nutless Civic forms poked thier rabbid youth market right in the eye. Everyone was left scratching thier heads like, 'WTF is this crap man!' VW's have problem guys, but it's all ancillary stuff like heater cores and window regs, and evaps, which I admit can really tick someone off(notice: the cores and evaps are both made in France). VW's motors are bullet-proof. Look closely at the mega hp Honda's and you'll see that none of them have stock bottom ends. Pistons and rods are too light, and the motors are so tweeked already...nuff said.

· Registered
5,871 Posts
Re: (vwsteve)

Quote, originally posted by vwsteve »

All in all......those comments are not that horrible. If you really want to read some gratuitous bashing....head on over to http://www.clubsi.com where most of the bashing comes from teeny boppers who don't even make informed posts......

Hahahaha, true dat
Every once in a while I go in there to see what "nasty" things they have to say about VW's

· Registered
13,725 Posts
Re: (INSANE808JETTA)

Well, as a member of ClubTSX I can say that most people on there like VWs, but feel reliability is a huge problem. I have to agree and that's why I'm looking at a TSX or TL as my next car. In addition to reliability....VWs don't really handle all that well stock either. They have fallen behind the competition. The only thing VW excells at is fit and finish and attention to detail. Little things that speak of luxury and attention to detail.
Reliability = Not so good
Dealer network = Not so good
Handling = Not so good
Features/Fit & Finish = Outstanding
Don't flame me too bad, just my opinion.

Modified by jwaters943 at 9:23 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Execpt for the coil pack fiasco, they make good engines to. I realize VW arent the most reliable cars compared to honda and toyota. Put them next to domestic brands and they dont look bad at all.
EDIT: And the dealer network isn't really VW's fault, bad dealers are a problem with every car company.

Modified by VWturbonium at 5:16 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
13,725 Posts

Bad dealers aren't their fault??? Huh!? Give me a break. If GM can make sure that Saturn dealers treat their customers well, VW should be able to do the same.
As for reliability, according to Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers, domestic reliability has surpassed all German cars as a whole and especially VW. German reliability has fallen below everyone except for some Korean models.

Modified by jwaters943 at 4:35 PM 7-16-2003

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: (jwaters943)

Quote, originally posted by jwaters943 »
Bad dealers aren't their fault??? Huh!? Give me a break. If GM can make sure that Saturn dealers treat their customers well, VW should be able to do the same.

I agree...

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (jwaters943)

Quote, originally posted by jwaters943 »
As for reliability, according to Consumer Reports and J.D. Powers, domestic reliability has surpassed all German cars as a whole and especially VW. German reliability has fallen below everyone except for some Korean models.

I thought that consumer reports rated VW well, just J.D powers rated it low.

· Registered
13,725 Posts

According to Consumer Reports VW was near bottom in long term reliability (long term to Consumer Reports is 3 years). They added up all problems per 100 vehicles for every make available in the U.S over a 3 year period. The bottom three were Mercedes Benz, VW and Cadillac. Although Cadillac is rumored to have improved strongly over the past couple years so that might change, who knows. For what it's worth Acura was rated as number 1 with the least amount of problems (the RL was the most reliable car in that 3 year period).
On the bright side, CR noted that all cars are getting more reliable. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by jwaters943 at 8:15 PM 7-16-2003

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Re: Acura owners :rolleyes: (Herr Volkswagen)

Quote, originally posted by Herr Volkswagen »
The word Acura is a bad word. The use of that 5 letter word should not be allowed, I am offended.

You're just jealous!

Acura, Acura, Acura, Acura, Acura, Acura, Acura, Acura... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But I'm considering a VW-R32 DSG or Audi-B5 S4..call me crazy...

· Registered
3,718 Posts
Re: Acura owners :rolleyes: (bluesbrothers)

Soo... remind me which statements they made were false?
Either way, why the hell do you care what they think? you got a case of SDS (smalldicksyndrome)?

Modified by Mbiggy at 5:13 AM 7-21-2003

· Registered
10,589 Posts
Re: Acura owners :rolleyes: (nonenthusiast)

I get asked all the time by people thinking about a Volkswagen product what my opinion is. I usually ask them what they owned previously and if they tell me five Honda's and 2 Toyotas I'll tell them to buy another one and skip VW.
The truth is that VW's are not for everyone. German cars in general will never be as reliable as the Japanese manufacturers and if you want near-bulletproof reliability then buy a Honda or Toyota.
For many of us owning a VW is a labor of love much like owning a Harley, Ducati or Buell motorcycle. They may not be perfect, might require a bunch of fiddling around, but overall are great fun and have tremendous enthusiast communities behind them to help you out and provide moral support.
For some people, a VW just isn't the right car for them.
- jamie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.