VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's been a while since I updated the first post.

Added and updated parts of every section. The biggest changes are in the performance section where I updated some parts ordered today. Once they all arrive, I'll try to get them all installed before I go for my Stage I tune. Will have a mechanic do the work so I can make sure it's being done right.

Not included in the build but I ordered this for the engine. Just a washer cap but I like it more than blue and it'll match everything else in the engine
Enjoying the build :thumbup:, when do you think you'll do the folding mirrors? Considering this on my R but wanted to know the difficulty of replacing the current switches. I know USP has a kit available, do you know of any others?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Enjoying the build :thumbup:, when do you think you'll do the folding mirrors? Considering this on my R but wanted to know the difficulty of replacing the current switches. I know USP has a kit available, do you know of any others?
I believe Excellerate is planning on doing a group buy on the folding mirrors over on golfmk7.com sometime soon. If their pricing on the LED tail group buy they just closed is any indication it's likely to be a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe Excellerate is planning on doing a group buy on the folding mirrors over on golfmk7.com sometime soon. If their pricing on the LED tail group buy they just closed is any indication it's likely to be a pretty good deal.
Does Excellerate tails come w/ a harness as well or are they compatible with DAP's?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I'll do it eventually but at this rate, I have a lot of travel coming up. Chicago Thanksgiving for a beer-cation, 2 week road trip down from NH to Key West for scuba diving, Belgium in March for a beer festival. Belgium again in April for a beer festival. My winters are usually less car focused and more travel focused because, unless you ski or snow-shoe, there's nothing to do up here but drink in the winter and I'd rather go to warmer climates.

The folding mirrors are probably really cool in application. Keeping them out of the way of shopping carts, people walking around parking lots and if I ever do street parking is pretty appealing. I decided to spend this month's extra money on some performance so I can have a bit of fun before it gets too icy and cold to floor it and go hog-wild.

I was going to buy from here - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-G...rror/32299951298.html?src=ibdm_d03p0558e02r02

My car is Non-DAP so I don't have to worry about blind-spot. As long as the heated function works, we're good.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Just made a very easy and quick change today from the stock OEM blue washer cap to a black one. $15 for a replacement piece of plastic? Worth it? Probably not. I don't eat out at restaurants anymore so what's $15..that's like 2 beers and a basket of Fries.

Link to Washer Fluid Reservoir Cap (black) on ECS

ORIGINAL:

Updated in Black:

After replacing the washer cap, I think I'm going to get this lower engine cover from ECS. It looks very bare down there. Waiting for the price to go down first.

-------------

Also, some USP and ECS stuff arrived, my new Grommet to replace the rear one that I broke the clips on as well as:
SPULEN MK7/A3/S3 Throttle Pipe
SPULEN MK7/A3/S3 Turbo Outlet Pipe

Getting these put on next week along with the GFB DV+ that I ordered

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Bull-X Downpipe w/ Cat has arrived!

Bull-X Volkswagen MK7 Golf R Cast Outlet Downpipe (w/ Cat)

The photos on their site do not do this unit justice. It's beefy, long, thick and 3" diameter (thicker than a coke can!) Going to give this an install in a few days along with some of the previously pictured equipment on this page. Shipping from California to New Hampshire took 6 days but that's to be expected. Shipping was $55.

The box is pretty manageable albeit very heavy:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great build thread!

Going back to Mod #10 Proclip. Would you post a pic of how intrusive this is to the passenger seat from that perspective? I'm trying to decide on a phone mount but it's hard to figure out how much this would bother the passenger and if it would actually hit their leg as they're sitting in the car. Next time you're taking pics, would you sit in the passenger seat and snap a pic from that angle? Thanks

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Great build thread!

Going back to Mod #10 Proclip. Would you post a pic of how intrusive this is to the passenger seat from that perspective? I'm trying to decide on a phone mount but it's hard to figure out how much this would bother the passenger and if it would actually hit their leg as they're sitting in the car. Next time you're taking pics, would you sit in the passenger seat and snap a pic from that angle? Thanks
I will but preliminary details say that it is very intrusive especially for a 6 Foot+ Dudes who aren't dainty or careful when entering the car.

Two friends have multiple times hit the clip to the point of it coming out of the thing. The glue held but the top half gets pulled out and now the clip doesn't sit very tight as it did at stock. Of the girls who have ridden with me, I've never had an issue. In fact, one of my friends who I drove home one night because he got too drunk to drive kept banging his leg into it after I kept telling him to be careful. so bad that I made him sit in the backseat because he wasn't even paying me gas money and probably would have broken the thing. it juts out into the passenger area more than I'm comfortable with. but i'll keep it until it breaks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Love to hear this thing in person, we are going to be at NH motor speed way this racing for an event. Should be great time! Swing by if around

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Love to hear this thing in person, we are going to be at NH motor speed way this racing for an event. Should be great time! Swing by if around
I won't go anywhere this weekend. I want to drive as little as possible until the UM tune is put on. Next weekend, i drive up to Quebec for a beer tasting with my buddies up there. There's always the Golf R Western Mass meetup on the 24th! you should come out

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7236830-Can-we-get-a-canyon-run-meet-in-New-England/page5

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
The last 5 days have been incredibly busy. The posts after this one will each have a focus on a single mod. My GF's Father loves working on cars but mostly anything made after 1990 because he's not a fan of computer-controlled vehicles. He's a talented guy. His barn is a haven of old cars, projects, parts and more tools than I've ever seen. He has a hydraulic lift and offered it up to me as well as a second set of muscles should I need some help. I learned a lot and he let me do most of the work but stopped me before I screwed anything up which was great.

He did say I was the lowest car that's entered his barn. We had a close call getting it in the front door:

Here she is ready for surgery:

We spend 9AM to 9PM on Sunday working on Bertha. Then 4 hours on Monday and another 2 hours on Thursday. It was a lot of time but without any manual other than YouTube videos from GTI owners, this was mostly guess work.

It all came together when I fired it up and drove home. So far, so good!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I'm OCD about a lot of things. Therefore I don't let anyone change my volume in the Golf R (MK6 or MK7) because I like the power button to always face North. Don't laugh.

So My GF found these for me, "MK7 - Headunit power button blackout set"

I installed them today and now I can use the knob instead of controlling audio with my steering wheel only. I still miss the mute button on the MK6 as it's own large button. These will keep my OCD @ bay!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I don't like that the vinyl sticker doesn't fill the entire knob or at least match the other side but it'll get the job done.

181 - 200 of 662 Posts