VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
201 - 220 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
GoFastBits DV+ T9359

What does it do?
“The end result is sharper throttle response, lightning-fast valve actuation, and it will hold as much boost as you can throw at it.”​

The DAP video on it is what I followed to the T and I had zero issues with installing.

I must say that you should expect to have a tough time unscrewing the stock DV from the engine and of course screwing this one back in. Removing the air intake hose is essential. This thing works great though. First impressions, boost holds WAY longer. It makes the car very sporty and throttle response on moving that boost needle is quick. Try to find one used. I bought this from CuperSteve for $210. Another guy on the MK7 GTI forum I think is selling his for $150

Photos:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
Spulen sells two different pipes. They're aluminum and sort of coated in a thick and powder coat finish which I hope will reduce rust but it also looks nice in the engine bay and doesn't stand out.

I bought these together:

"Increases of up 10 wheel horsepower and 12 ft/lbs of torque when combined with the SPULEN turbo outlet pipe. "

I measured the Inner Diameter of both turbo pipes, the OEM and the Spulen and the ID grew from 55MM to 60MM. Not a huge increase.

Taking the stock throttle pipe out was quite easy. The Turbo outlet requires removing the Air Intake and it was difficult to get it out of the very tight quarters of pipes and cables. The replacement turbo pipe is two pieces held together with a small hose. this means installation is WAY easier than taking out the stock plastic pipe. Both fit very easily into the intercooler piping. Clamps screw in and the whole thing takes less than an hour if you're experienced. I probably spent 2.5 hours because I was trying my best not to break anything but I ended up breaking the item pictured below when I was installing the replacement turbo outlet pipe:

I don't yet know what the affect this will have but oh well. it's zip tied upside down to another hose so it can drain down (gravity) if it needs to.

The only problem with the Spulen pipes is that they made the VWR Intake almost impossible to fit into the engine bay. You can kind of see how the throttle pipe is in the way. The bottom of the VWR Box is bent in and luckily straightens out enough to make the fit of the actual air filter perfect once I put on the top cover of the VWR that screws in. So no air gaps so I'm going to leave it as is but it sucks that this pipe gets in the way. The VWR Box is pretty darn big so I'm not surprised. I actually thought this would be an issue when I saw the install PDF Spulen gave me showing the OEM airbox with very little room

Look to left of box and see how it's in the way?

Underneath the car, you can see the two pipes on left and right under the intercooler connected with clamps:

Throttle Pipe:

Turbo Outlet Pipe:

Stock Turbo Outlet Pipe / Spulen side by side:

Disconnecting the stock turbo outlet pipe:

Engine Bay w/ Turbo pipe disconnected: (intake also disconnected, duh)

This is the Throttle Outlet pipe from the engine. Hard to see but it's there:

USP Initially missed parts to the turbo outlet so they had to 2-day ship them to me. Sort of the reason my install was delayed until thursday:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
You're gonna lose your sh*t once you are tuned... going from stock straight to full S2+ I cant even imagine.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
You're gonna lose your sh*t once you are tuned... going from stock straight to full S2+ I cant even imagine.
Want some even more tomfoolery?

First car in 2004...a 1992 Toyota Camry. Second car after moving from San Francisco to New Hampshire in 2010 was a 1996 Nissan Maxima that literally died a year later and was FUBARed. Then, I leased a 2011 Toyota Corolla for a couple of years. I had no credit established. I was 25.

At 27, I bought the MK6 Golf R after a test drive. I wanted an All Wheel Drive hatchback. Went in and drove it and couldn't believe how amazing it was. i didn't modify a single thing on that car. I wanted to learn about VWs, be a part of the community, read, learn and grow.

I've owned the MK7 Golf R for 7 weeks. I can't believe how much I've done in such a short time but I was thinking tonight.....I'm already afraid to let friends borrow my car in its current state. I wish the tune I'm getting had a "valet" mode so I could let people drive it without me being nervous they're going to really screw up. I'm very comfortable behind the wheel and also very cautious. This car is about to enter beast-mode.

---

and on that note, once the UM tune is done and winter wheels are on, I'm going dormant on major mods until April. A few things here and there but nothing engine related. gotta replenish my savings. and for the record, i started saving for this car and Mods exactly 1 year ago. I'm very happy so far. just insanely happy with this car and everything about it. It's a luxury sports car in every way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to take such great pictures and document this journey. I know how much work it takes to produce a good post, much less with great pictures... and you're doing both in spades!

Much appreciated ... Much respect!

cupersteve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Considering the much larger flex section of the stock piping vs the aftermarket one you're using, are you not concerned with engine movement possibly dislodging the piping?

I'm thinking a one piece silicon piping upgrade would have been a better idea than this hard pipe design. At the very least they should have used a hump flex section.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum MQB Dogbone Mount Insert, MkVII

Initially, I ordered the Spulen Insert but I've heard that the aluminum insert is going to last longer and be a bit more stiffer while the polyurethane will simply break down over time. I returned the Spulen insert and installed this one instead. (linked above).

The price (as of 10-9) is $42 and I paid an extra $15 for 2-day shipping from California since the car was on a lift when I ordered the part. Here's what 034 Motorsports promises:

This precision-machined billet aluminum insert is designed to fill the large voids in the factory dogbone mount, and limit transmission and engine movement without sacrificing ride quality or introducing any perceivable additional noise, vibration, or harshness into the cabin. By filling the void in the factory mount, this insert eliminates the associated slop and ensures that you're experiencing crisper shifts and a more direct, connected driving experience.
Install:
This was incredibly easy but I highly recommend you have a torque wrench. They're expensive but you're going to need it at some point so instead of paying a shop to do this install, spend that hourly labor's worth of money and buy a torque wrench along with a 21mm Socket. Removing the current bolt from the dog bone was very difficult. It took a lot of elbow grease. After removal, inserting the Dog Bone insert was very easy but I couldn't get the bolt to thread. The reason is when you take the bolt out, the engine may shift forward slightly. I was alone on this install so I had to use one arm under the front of the engine block and pull it back toward the rear and visually line up the hole and screw back in the bolt. Luckily, the insert (once in place) stays there without falling on the ground.

Once I had the bolt slightly threaded, I set the torque wrench to 100NM and tightened. The 034 Insert did bend slightly while torquing. I hope that doesn't cause issues later down the road.

Initial Impressions (after 60 minutes of driving and a single day):
The vibration in the cabin and even audibly from cold start @ idle is a bit jarring. If you didn't know the insert was installed, you'd think something was horribly wrong. I'm sure if I ever sell my car and forget to remove the dog bone, the next owner is going to take the car in for a repair thinking something is very wrong. After 2 minutes, the idling subsides to a light rumble that just feels like any other tuned vehicle with a lot of aftermarket equipment. The engine vibration is basically being transferred right to the car without any sway that the stock dog bone mount allows.

At stop lights, you don't notice the vibration unless you're expecting it.

As for feeling the engine, I'd probably find this mod completely amazing with a manual transmission on a track. But, since I'm just driving around town in traffic, it feels stronger, it feels solid, I have this improved connection to the wheels that wasn't there before BUT it's not as drastic as I was expecting which actually isn't a bad thing.

Despite all of my mods, I still want my grandmother (should she ever visit me up here in New Hampshire) to get behind the wheel and drive to the store. I don't want her freaked out with vibration, noise and aggressive handling. Unless she floors it, she will barely know this is a sports car. The dog bone stiffens things up...for sure! But it doesn't take this car to any sort of crazy soaring levels.

Overall, good balance, instant gratification and very easily installed at a pretty darn good price as far as performance modifications go.

$42 seems like a no brainer and hey, if you're getting a shop to do another repair / upgrade and your VW is on a lift, grab this and have them put it on. they won't mind.

Here are a few photos:

Packaging:

Before:

After:

If you want to order, makes sure you have the mount that's pictured in my 'before' shot. If not, an insert that fits the alternate Golf R MK7 Dog Bone mount is coming soon.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Good call with the E.H. Taylor Bourbon!
Yep, it's Friday so I'm having beer tonight. Bruery Melange 3 strong Ale and some Bourbon County Stout. Maybe a growler of a local vermont IPA. gotta be up early to do some more car work & give it a wash & wax.

Considering the much larger flex section of the stock piping vs the aftermarket one you're using, are you not concerned with engine movement possibly dislodging the piping?

I'm thinking a one piece silicon piping upgrade would have been a better idea than this hard pipe design. At the very least they should have used a hump flex section.

Engine Movement is nearly zilch after the 034 Dog Bone Mount Insert has been installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Engine Movement is nearly zilch after the 034 Dog Bone Mount Insert has been installed.
I think you'd be surprised.

Hope nothing happens, but if the pipe connection blows off or that piece of silicon coupling tears, you can always refer back to your build thread for the answer.

Makes you wonder why Spulen didn't make a hard pipe kit for the turbo compressor inlet vs using silicon.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Manufacturer's claims: This precision-machined billet aluminum insert is designed to fill the large voids in the factory dogbone mount, and limit transmission and engine movement without sacrificing ride quality or introducing any perceivable additional noise, vibration, or harshness into the cabin. By filling the void in the factory mount, this insert eliminates the associated slop and ensures that you're experiencing crisper shifts and a more direct, connected driving experience.
By your own description the insert has obviously failed on the no additional NVH claim. Yours is a DSG, so it's not clear to me where the crisper shifts part would come into it, but even with a manual transmission the Golf uses a cable shifter, so engine movement doesn't much change shifting feel at the input end. As for output, I'm assuming that the torque changes with each shift are felt as being more abrupt, since cushioning from rocking against that engine mount is now reduced. Is that about accurate?

But I'm having difficulty reconciling your desire for the car to pass the grandmother test and your report of how it actually feels:

The vibration in the cabin and even audibly from cold start @ idle is a bit jarring. If you didn't know the insert was installed, you'd think something was horribly wrong. I'm sure if I ever sell my car and forget to remove the dog bone, the next owner is going to take the car in for a repair thinking something is very wrong.
Where would you say is the actual benefit here?

Neil

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great thread Adam! Thanks for detailing all this information. I think my next mod will be the HU blackout. I'm 100% ocd with that damn knob. I have to use the steering wheel control to adjust the volume because being off angle bothers me to no end!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Sounds like I do NOT want the dogbone mount for my car then! I was happy with the shifting in the GTI I drove, although it did have long throws. Perhaps when my R arrives I'll look into a short shifter but definitely don't want the extra NVH. Seems like, at least on a manual, it could be worth it depending on what you want out of the car.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
The Dog bone review from me is a bit difficult to stand behind. Keep in mind that I installed a new DP, Diverter and 2 new pipes at the same time as the Dog bone insert before driving it after each install. so the car is shifting quicker and holding boost much better but I can't say that's directly due to the insert in the dog bone. It could have been any one of the 5 things installed on my car last week.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Did a detailing job..probably one of my last for this year before it gets too cold. I'll do another full detailing the last week of this month if I can then winter wheels go on.

Optimum No-Rinse, Spray Wax, leather, trim, wheels and glass clean & protect. Took just over 2 hours with some extra time to remove a few bug guts

AND EVERYTHING SMELLED AMAZING!!! :)

I think I'll try to do another one of these on the 24th before the New England meetup we're having in Mass. IN 2 weeks, I'll be ordering my winter wheels & tires. Plus wanted the car to look great for its Dyno-run on Monday.

201 - 220 of 662 Posts