VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 320 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Custom License Plate, "Rolf-R"

I applied for a custom plate in August, was approved end of December and it's an extra $30 a year to keep the plate. Really a painful process. You have to apply, wait 90 days and then drive an hour south to the main office to hand over your plates + $30 and then they mail out within a few weeks.

They're here now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking good.

Are those the smoked Euro LED's? Interested in purchasing them, but the price seems a bit steep. I can't deny they complete the overall look of the vehicle though.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
FWIW, I bought my euro LEDs from carsystems.pl in Poland.
http://www.carsystems.pl/golf-7-tinted-led-taillights-r-line-look-plug-play-eu,id1156.html

I mostly ordered them from Europe in order to get them faster (they were backordered at most places here), not so much to save money. I bought the DAP wiring harness which is $100 more if you don't buy the lights from them in a package deal-- but again, they weren't available, so I paid less for the lights and more for the harness. *shrug*

From carsystems.pl they were 499euro+120euro fedex shipping. Got 'em 3 days after I placed the order. At today's exchange rate that's $670, so $890 all in after ordering the DAP harness and their rear fog light wire. So it's less than $100 cheaper than buying the package deal from DAP (974 I think). Oh and of course if you want to run the rear fog then you need the euro switch...

Oh, also I got a bill from FedEx for $20 in customs duties just the other day. Well, $13 in duties an $7 in fedex fees for paying the duty for me :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Nice vanity plate! :D :beer:

Any update on diagnosing your car?
HUGE post planned about my Stage II Tune (which as you know has been absent from this thread) should come up after December 16th. I'm getting up at 5AM and driving down to United Motorsport in Connecticut. Going to bring all of my OEM parts and we're gonna Dyno the car, do a ton of logging, maybe swap out some parts, get in some lift time and basically I'll pay them (if they require it) to get everything working. I'll be posting all about it but if everything doesn't work, I'll go to another tuner if needed. we'll see but I like posting updates here once a mod is "complete" and not when it's TBD. Kind of sucks to post things unresolved, ya know?

·
Registered
149 Posts
FWIW, I bought my euro LEDs from carsystems.pl in Poland.
http://www.carsystems.pl/golf-7-tinted-led-taillights-r-line-look-plug-play-eu,id1156.html

I mostly ordered them from Europe in order to get them faster (they were backordered at most places here), not so much to save money. I bought the DAP wiring harness which is $100 more if you don't buy the lights from them in a package deal-- but again, they weren't available, so I paid less for the lights and more for the harness. *shrug*

From carsystems.pl they were 499euro+120euro fedex shipping. Got 'em 3 days after I placed the order. At today's exchange rate that's $670, so $890 all in after ordering the DAP harness and their rear fog light wire. So it's less than $100 cheaper than buying the package deal from DAP (974 I think). Oh and of course if you want to run the rear fog then you need the euro switch...

Oh, also I got a bill from FedEx for $20 in customs duties just the other day. Well, $13 in duties an $7 in fedex fees for paying the duty for me :)
Even better deal would have been buying from Ed, especially the Black Friday sale. Would have put you at $730 all included, shipping, customs, cable etc. Just saying, Ed is a really good source.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12820

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Even better deal would have been buying from Ed, especially the Black Friday sale. Would have put you at $730 all included, shipping, customs, cable etc. Just saying, Ed is a really good source.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12820
Sure, good link! As I said I was not really looking for the lowest price, just wanted to get them on the car as soon as the car arrived.. after the VW ordering process I'm sort of over waiting :) I'm not very familiar with Mk7 Golf forum, only been there a few times and never seen much activity when I've looked for things.

Also concerning is he claims the p/ns are the 'c/d' parts, but one of the photos shows a part number ending in 'f' which is the non-rear-fog euro version. The post claims you can enable rear fog with a wire. so who knows why the picture doesn't match the claimed p/ns.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great thread!
I may have missed an update, but back when you were showing the shift knob install, it looked like you were still using a 3' white Apple cable with the pro-clip mount. Time to add a 1' Apple cable to your extensive collection... That's what I use and it's much neater.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Great thread!
I may have missed an update, but back when you were showing the shift knob install, it looked like you were still using a 3' white Apple cable with the pro-clip mount. Time to add a 1' Apple cable to your extensive collection... That's what I use and it's much neater.

Agreed. I actually bought an aftermarket cable and no aftermarket ones work with the ProClip Mount. Their website even says this and it took me 3 tries from amazon / Monoprice to find this out. Wishing Apple made black cables.

I have an update on the shifter knob too at some point but waiting on an update from BlackForest first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I applied for a custom plate in August, was approved end of December and it's an extra $30 a year to keep the plate. Really a painful process. You have to apply, wait 90 days and then drive an hour south to the main office to hand over your plates + $30 and then they mail out within a few weeks.

They're here now.

Yah, I am still waiting for my plate MKVII-R. All because of this guy...

COPSLIE" is now an officially sanctioned license plate in New Hampshire, after the state Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday. (May 2014)

David Montenegro, who applied for the "COPSLIE" license plate, faced opposition from state law which prohibited vanity plates that "a reasonable person would find offensive to good taste," reports The Associated Press. But New Hampshire's highest court determined that this law was unconstitutionally vague.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Yah, I am still waiting for my plate MKVII-R. All because of this guy...

COPSLIE" is now an officially sanctioned license plate in New Hampshire, after the state Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday. (May 2014)

David Montenegro, who applied for the "COPSLIE" license plate, faced opposition from state law which prohibited vanity plates that "a reasonable person would find offensive to good taste," reports The Associated Press. But New Hampshire's highest court determined that this law was unconstitutionally vague.

yep..turns out prior to that plate, you could request and be approved for a plate in person at your local town clerk's office. Getting this required 2 separate drives to the claremont office (40 minutes each way) and it took August to mid-December to get the plate...used to be much faster.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
yep..turns out prior to that plate, you could request and be approved for a plate in person at your local town clerk's office. Getting this required 2 separate drives to the claremont office (40 minutes each way) and it took August to mid-December to get the plate...used to be much faster.
Wait, why would it take LONGER now that the law has been ruled unconstitutionally vague? Seems like it should be easier now since there's basically no approval process?

Here in CA it's just the usual fill-out-web-form-wait-8-to-12-weeks shenanigans.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Wait, why would it take LONGER now that the law has been ruled unconstitutionally vague? Seems like it should be easier now since there's basically no approval process?

Here in CA it's just the usual fill-out-web-form-wait-8-to-12-weeks shenanigans.
Old System:
1. Go to town clerk (usually only open 1-2 days a week for 4 hours in my area)
2. Request a plate
3. They check if it's in use
4. Approved within reason (no slang, vulgar words)
5. Plate comes to your home in 2-3 weeks.

New System:
1. Fill out form, Mail it or take it to one of 3 NH offices that accept them (town clerk can't accept them)
2. Get letter within 120 days approving your plate
3. Go back to one of those 3 offices (mine is a 45 minute drive), hand over $30 cash
4. Wait 2-4 weeks for plate to arrive.

How that has anything to do with the ruling beats me...also in new system, I was told you can only apply for one license plate at a time and if it's taken, you have to re-apply and get back to bottom of queue. so if they din't approve Rolf-R, I had to do it over again. I had a friend who's an NH cop look up some of my license plates first to save me what would have been a year of waiting since my initial plate ideas were taken.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Old System:
1. Go to town clerk (usually only open 1-2 days a week for 4 hours in my area)
2. Request a plate
3. They check if it's in use
4. Approved within reason (no slang, vulgar words)
5. Plate comes to your home in 2-3 weeks.

New System:
1. Fill out form, Mail it or take it to one of 3 NH offices that accept them (town clerk can't accept them)
2. Get letter within 120 days approving your plate
3. Go back to one of those 3 offices (mine is a 45 minute drive), hand over $30 cash
4. Wait 2-4 weeks for plate to arrive.

How that has anything to do with the ruling beats me...also in new system, I was told you can only apply for one license plate at a time and if it's taken, you have to re-apply and get back to bottom of queue. so if they din't approve Rolf-R, I had to do it over again. I had a friend who's an NH cop look up some of my license plates first to save me what would have been a year of waiting since my initial plate ideas were taken.
NEW HAMPSHIRE - LIFE FREE OR DIE. BUT GOVERNMENT WILL BOG THINGS DOWN WHEN YOU CHALLENGE IT...:banghead:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you still using the OEM trunk liner? I went looking through all the floor mat threads and haven't found a weatherized one that definitely fits.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Are you still using the OEM trunk liner? I went looking through all the floor mat threads and haven't found a weatherized one that definitely fits.
Still just fabric back there. I've tried ordering OEM VW trunk liners but dealers tell me it won't fit and won't let me order..it's a liner that was posted here before. Here's the part number: 5G0061161

I know guys on this forum that have it installed yet I can't get a dealer to actually order it for me. Still waiting on Weathertech to release their muddy buddy. I go to their product request form every month and ask for them to make it and I encourage others to do the same.

301 - 320 of 662 Posts