VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you for checking on this. so I'll carefully open the liner box, serif it fits and if not, setup an RMA with ECS. That'll be good as well since they should probably update the 'does it fit' tab. Guess I played guinea pig this time around. Would really love a proper liner because the carpet needs protecting. In the winter time, I'm hauling split logs, dirt snow-shoes, boots and other hiking equipment. I want that area to stay clean.

Leo was fantastic. He has zero pressure, didn't even mention Maintenance or Insurance or Clear-Coat Plans. He went over the PDI a few times and even moved my EZPass and license plates off the old car for me. We chatted about England and his family and he was very personable. I'd buy a car form him again, for sure!

Just an FYI, Noyes said their 4 allocated 2016 Golf Rs already have deposits down but they'd take more orders but no guarantee they'd be filled.
Thanks for the info...unlike a lot of people hunting for 2016's here I'm not at all worried about finding one. This isn't the first time I've tried to buy a "limited" allocation car :)

I'm willing to wait months for the order to come in, if a dealer has one coming in that is exactly what I want then great, but I don't think I'll have any trouble getting VW to take $40k out of my pocket.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mod #4 - Heated Blind Spot Mirror - Set
ES#: 2862774, ECS Tuning

This is a $100 mod. Pricey and worth considering but make sure it's something you want before ordering and I hope this small 24 hour test will help you decide:

Installation: Very easy. It works with the heated mirrors, plugs in quite easy and the fit is a perfect fit. The edges are good, no cracks, blemishes or off colors.

Impressions: The Blue color is beautiful! Looks great, reminds me of that tint S550 Mercedes has from the factory when the sun is facing. It also appears to make headlights less bright at night especially when jerks forget to turn off their high-beams as they approach.

The blind spot bit is a bit overrated / over sold. yes, there's this definite line between the standard mirror and the blind spot (aspherical) portion but the glass is not high quality, you get blue at the edge and my eye has a huge problem focusing on near and wide so quickly. I've driven Fords (2014+ model year) and their integrated blind spot mirror is very good. High quality, no refraction and you can give it a glance and no without a doubt no one is beside you. This thing, I don't trust it one bit. The angle itself is not wide enough to be useful. Only about half of your blind spot is actually showing in the mirror.

Pros:
Blue
reduces headlight glare from behind
Great fit
Looks manufacturer made from first glance
Works with heating element

Cons:
blind spot aspect is oversold and useless especially in spirited highway driving when you need to pass someone quickly and want to trust what you see is what you get without having to turn your head. i'd expect this glass quality from a $50 mirror but for $100, it seems like the mirror would be 'better'

Unboxed:

Installed:

The last image shows just how good this glass looks on the blue. For that alone and native heater support, I'm keeping them. I just wish they could have saved me a couple of head turnings.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Mod #5 - Floor mats

FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® - Laser Measured
Part #: 44496-1-2
Volkswagen 2015 Golf / GTI / Rabbit / R32
Set: 1st & 2nd Row (2-pc. Rear Liner)
Color: Black
Vehicle Options:
Bodystyle: 5-Door Hatchback
$169.90

I live way up north. Our nearest ski mountain opens a week before thanksgiving and people are on the mountain until the end of April. that means a lot of ice, dirt and salt. Salt ruins floor mats especially in long winters where it's nearly impossible to shampoo them without going to a detailing place.

So I am getting these to protect the car. The fit was a huge selling point.

Photos:

My only disappointment on these is that on the drivers side, you'll see half of the 'leg-rest' for your left leg is covered by the mat and the other half is not. I guess it was a stability / slide proof feature to keep the mat straight but it looks weird to be half covered.

From a driving / comfort standpoint, I can't notice the mat being on half of the foot rest.

Everything else is great. These are rocking cool mats!!!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mod #7, Replacing OEM Corning Bulbs (Xtra Bright H7 55W 5000K Xenon Hyper White Headlight Bulbs).

Here's where I bought mine. $15 for bulbs + shipping.

Pictures don't really do it justice since these are cornering bulbs so I put together a video. I am not a professional editor or actor so this probably won't look great but I'm doing my best.

(try to play in 2K or 4K for best color)

Overall: It's hard, even in 4K to see a huge difference between OEM and Aftermarket. For $15 + 5 minutes, I don't feel at a huge loss here. I am still confused because the bulbs in my car are 55W 5000K H7s and I replaced them with those just with a blue glass instead of clear. Maybe these are more white than yellow? I didn't really want brighter, just a more consistent color gamut. Maybe I'm blind but the improvement is only marginal.

Either way, I'll keep these installed. it's not a lot of sweat off my back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've been having fun reading your thread, Adam. Good insight and detail on the mods! I also love the videos. Great job! :)

Eric

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It has been a tough time trying to find MIB II / CarPlay / 2016 VW Infotainment videos on YouTube so I made one. It is a 4K video from my GoPro but I cropped it down so it's a bit easier to see the actual screen content. I also made this for some colleagues since I'm the only guy @ the office (TomTom) that has a 2016 VW. A lot of people at work have been asking about the navigation portion.

Here you go.

If there are features I missed, I can make additional videos to show those off. One thing I forgot to do is show the equalizer or get in-depth with the settings but there are so many settings, it would have taken a while.

PS: this is posted in another thread I created but like before, I'm saving it here for posterity related directly to my vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mod #4 - Heated Blind Spot Mirror - Set
ES#: 2862774, ECS Tuning

This is a $100 mod. Pricey and worth considering but make sure it's something you want before ordering and I hope this small 24 hour test will help you decide:

Installation: Very easy. It works with the heated mirrors, plugs in quite easy and the fit is a perfect fit. The edges are good, no cracks, blemishes or off colors.

Impressions: The Blue color is beautiful! Looks great, reminds me of that tint S550 Mercedes has from the factory when the sun is facing. It also appears to make headlights less bright at night especially when jerks forget to turn off their high-beams as they approach.

The blind spot bit is a bit overrated / over sold. yes, there's this definite line between the standard mirror and the blind spot (aspherical) portion but the glass is not high quality, you get blue at the edge and my eye has a huge problem focusing on near and wide so quickly. I've driven Fords (2014+ model year) and their integrated blind spot mirror is very good. High quality, no refraction and you can give it a glance and no without a doubt no one is beside you. This thing, I don't trust it one bit. The angle itself is not wide enough to be useful. Only about half of your blind spot is actually showing in the mirror.

Pros:
Blue
reduces headlight glare from behind
Great fit
Looks manufacturer made from first glance
Works with heating element

Cons:
blind spot aspect is oversold and useless especially in spirited highway driving when you need to pass someone quickly and want to trust what you see is what you get without having to turn your head. i'd expect this glass quality from a $50 mirror but for $100, it seems like the mirror would be 'better'

Unboxed:

Installed:

The last image shows just how good this glass looks on the blue. For that alone and native heater support, I'm keeping them. I just wish they could have saved me a couple of head turnings.
Are these Euro VW mirrors or just aftermarket knock-offs?, I had a set of Euro convex mirrors in my TDI and they were great!

Also, I know your car is DSG, but will the weather-tech mats work on the 6-speed?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Are these Euro VW mirrors or just aftermarket knock-offs?, I had a set of Euro convex mirrors in my TDI and they were great!

Also, I know your car is DSG, but will the weather-tech mats work on the 6-speed?
This is a link to buy the mirrors - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2862774/ Everything points to not being Euro VW OEM mirrors but instead a part source and branded ECS.

You can see in this image below that the mats are made to allow for a lot of depth where the 3rd pedal would have gone. That design there does indicate that a manual would have no problem with these mats. If you're worried, a quick call to Weathertech might be advised

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mod #8 - Aluminum Paddle Shifter Set - Black Anodized ES#: 2952112 - Buy here

This installation was insanely fast! No need to disconnect the battery. I flipped my steering wheel 90 degrees to the right, turned off the car, grabbed some needle nose plier and pulled the plastic piece out holding the DSG paddles in under the steering wheel.

I put these on. It took about 2 minutes.

I drove for 36 hours without paddles and hated that I couldn't do 10+2 hand position and reach the shifters. Now I can comfortably shift in sport mode manually without having to adjust my hands. These should have come on the car by default.. the price is steep and I wish I could have afforded the titanium paddles because these are a bit too light and springy for my liking but they get the job done.

Photos:

You can see in the photo below the tiny circle plastic pin. You need a plier small enough to pull this out. wasn't hard to pull out or push in

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mod #10 - ProClip Angled Mount #854854 + Adjustable Holder for Small to Medium Cases with Cable Attachment #514666 for iPhone 6 w/ small case

Packaging was okay, installation took all of 5 minutes. When a passenger gets in the car, they can't fall in like a rhino. there's less knee room for them and they will hit the dock and rip if off the front (like I did when I got in last night and a friend wanted to drive). just warn people that there's an obstruction.

Taking the phone in and out of the case and clicking around on it is very easy. docking is good, no movement over bumps and no movement of the clip when I undock. it stays put perfectly. The cable looks great since it has only a small visible area before it goes into the cubby. I'd buy this again despite the high price. it gets the job done.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Mod #11 - Window tinting!!!!!

Location: Tint King in Billerica MA. It's about 2.25 hours south of me but the place was highly recommended and I was going to be on the NH / MA border this weekend anyway. I showed up at 2PM, they got started at 2:30 and I was out by 3:40 after talking about cars and answering all of my questions. A guy with a 2011 Audi A6 came in after me. Beautiful car.

I did FormulaOne Auto Tint Pinnacle® series at 50% on the windows "behind driver" I could have gone 35% but I actually don't want a dark look. In NH, we are only allowed 35% max behind driver. I want to reduce UV and light since I have some sensitivity to light even with sunglasses. It's with that said that I also did a Pinnacle Air Blue 80 on my front and small corner windows. This is not allowed in New Hampshire but the contrast between 50 and 80 blue is so much that it looks like the front is only OEM blued instead of being tinted. The guys did awesome work. you can't even see the seams of these tints. the film goes glass to glass!

For me, the biggest thing was they were the only shop I could find that would do film on those small corner windows

I paid $380 and it's all Ceramic film, 2 guys working for 1.5 hours on the car and I'm really happy with the work. I could have saved $100 to go Pinnacle non-ceramic but the benefits were great and the FormulaOne Tints are lifetime warrantied and transferrable if I ever sell my car, just give the tint receipt to the guy that buys the car next. Here are some photos of the install:

After Photos: I'll take more when you can really see the side by side. It was very bright out and hard to photograph where you could see a huge difference.

When i walked up to the car a few hours later at the grocery store, I'm a huge fan of 50%. Not too dark or too light, cops can still see in if they want as i have nothing to hide but it does look good alongside the darker blue car.

An another note, this place is called "Tint King"

It's a missed opportunity that they didn't call this

"King Tint" with an egyptian theme.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Total cost to date over car?

Awesome post, Adam. Just wondering, have you kept a running total of what you have spent on after-market mods? Would be interesting to see it item by item if possible . . . just a suggestion!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That sounds like a good price for ceramic! I always see it quoted way higher.

This is quickly becoming my favorite build thread, the photos are fantastic.

In case you're wanting to get rid of that iPhone cable, Im getting the same mount and planning on buying this cable. Shorter and black should help hide it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Awesome post, Adam. Just wondering, have you kept a running total of what you have spent on after-market mods? Would be interesting to see it item by item if possible . . . just a suggestion!

running total? I don't want to think about it :p but, on page one, the table, almost every link there is clickable so at least the parts alone would be quite easy to determine how much was spent. I guess I could add another table that shows price paid for part + labor? the thing is, I don't want to make it about how much money was spent. I assumed most people would agree.

That sounds like a good price for ceramic! I always see it quoted way higher.

This is quickly becoming my favorite build thread, the photos are fantastic.

In case you're wanting to get rid of that iPhone cable, Im getting the same mount and planning on buying this cable. Shorter and black should help hide it.

Thank you!

Can you let me know where you found Black Lightning cable? I'll order it because agreed, the black on black will look great!!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
running total? I don't want to think about it :p but, on page one, the table, almost every link there is clickable so at least the parts alone would be quite easy to determine how much was spent. I guess I could add another table that shows price paid for part + labor? the thing is, I don't want to make it about how much money was spent. I assumed most people would agree.

Thank you!

Can you let me know where you found Black Lightning cable? I'll order it because agreed, the black on black will look great!!!
Had a link there, but it might be hard to see. URL:http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=12835&seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
215 Posts

Thank you!

Sorry, I did not mean to make you think about something you don't want to think about - I get that! I also agree it's not about how much $$$ you have spent - that kind of thing is silly and meaningless. Just to clarify, you seem like a pro when it comes to car mods, whereas folks new to it (like me) don't really have a clue, so while everything you have done sounds great, it would be good to know things like "if you want x, it will cost you y in parts and z in labor". That way, folks can make their own decision as to whether e.g. the rear light euro LED upgrade is "worth it" to them. That's where I was coming from. But if it's too painful to put the numbers down, totally understood!

21 - 40 of 662 Posts