VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
421 - 440 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
I've updated the first post with current status of all mods and mods I've ordered / planned. Over the next 3 weeks, a lot is being installed and as usual, I'll try to document it all here.

someone make sure I do a single post outlining all of the mods that failed me, were returned, sold and removed due to issues. These deserve a single post to outline the problems I had and why i'd advise others to watch out. I'll make a reminder to do this next week.

Today, I installed the reverse LEDs for the Euro tail lights, replaced the trunk housing (was using these and now using these). For reasons I'll document in the install post, I'll never buy Ziza products again. I also installed my Trav-All Boot-Liner since I got tired of waiting for Muddy Buddy. Probably won't have a lot of updates until next week. Thanks!!!!

Wheels arrive Friday but not mounted until April 1st, ECS order and APR intercooler will be here soon..installed soon for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've updated the first post with current status of all mods and mods I've ordered / planned. Over the next 3 weeks, a lot is being installed and as usual, I'll try to document it all here.

someone make sure I do a single post outlining all of the mods that failed me, were returned, sold and removed due to issues. These deserve a single post to outline the problems I had and why i'd advise others to watch out. I'll make a reminder to do this next week.

Today, I installed the reverse LEDs for the Euro tail lights, replaced the trunk housing (was using these and now using these). For reasons I'll document in the install post, I'll never buy Ziza products again. I also installed my Trav-All Boot-Liner since I got tired of waiting for Muddy Buddy. Probably won't have a lot of updates until next week. Thanks!!!!

Wheels arrive Friday but not mounted until April 1st, ECS order and APR intercooler will be here soon..installed soon for sure.
Sweet, would love to hear your thoughts on the APR intercooler after you get it in

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 · (Edited)
Travall Boot-Liner (Muddy Buddy Replacement), 3-2-2016

This is what I ordered - https://www.travall.com/en-us/volkswagen/travall-trunk-mat-liner-tbm1094 It was $70 with $29 shipping from UK. It arrived in 3 days. Really fast!

As most of you know, I originally ordered a Muddy Buddy and it didn't fit and WeatherTech promised every month that a Golf R Muddy buddy was coming "next month" and that was in August and now we're in March so Screw those guys for being complete liars.

While the OEM VW Mat looked and fit well, it was a slick plastic and I was worried about things sliding around back there so the Trav-All being rubber (and smelling like rubber) it'll be a nice addition with stick and with raised gym-mat style grippy elements to it.

Fit is perfect, $100 total for protection of the rear carpet is totally worth it. I think the last thing I need to complete the hatch is a metal strip to protect the bumper. i'm getting a dog soon and don't want the rear paint to get scratched up.

Here are some photos!

The rubber on the front corners has already settled and there's no obstruction of any hooks or connectors in the rear although I will have to raise the mat to get to the handle that allows me to access my snow-removal and tire / first aid stuff underneath. A minor annoyance. If I didn't care about a water spill leaking to the carpet, I'd cut a small hole to get the handle more accessible but it's really not a huge deal.

I'd rte this a 90/100 because there's no support for blocks or dividers but it's only a minor thing. I'm certainly happy with the finish and especially the price.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 · (Edited)
DeAutoKey Entire Trunk Housing, 3-2-2016

I ordered this from DeAutoKey - http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-vw-gti-entire-trunk-housing-bright-error-free-plug-and-play

$29 and it shipped the same day from New York for anyone interested in that sort of detail. Packing was decent but it doesn't need to be a pro job. Came via USPS in a standard box.

first of all, I already have an LED light in my boot. IT's this one that I bought from ECS - https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2863506/ $11.99 and made by Ziza. This is what that light looks like (taken in August)

I ordered from DeAutoKey in hopes theirs was a bit brighter. if not, I planned on returning it. I was amazed to see this (Ziza Bottom, DeAutoKey Top)

Ziza has 8 LED lights and the DAK has between 12-16 lights and has a protective rear metal housing and overall the snap-in to the rear plastic was way more tight than the Ziza. Overall, this feels like a $30 part and the Ziza feels like a $5 part. The difference is huge especially when you look at the amount of light!!!!

DeAutoKey:

If you're in need of brighter rear boot lights, I'd go DAK over Ziza and pay the extra cost.

Here's the packaging:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
DeAutoKey Reverse LED Euro Taillight Replacement, 3-2-2016

I have the Euro-Spec LED Taillights that are OEM, I purchased them from ECS. Here's the post on those.

Here are the lights on DeAutoKey, Currently $49.99 - http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights

I agree with others that the Euro Tail lights lack a brightness when backing up. Why do you want brighter reverse lights?
  • Better visibility in what you're backing up into. The Rear camera does auto-brighten darkness a bit using software but it's not a very wide-open lens from an f/stop perspective so more light = easier to see where you're backing up
  • Second, better visibility in that people know you're reversing. The Golf R is a short car. When I back up, people usually don't know I am if they're driving through the parking lot so this light really does shine the road behind you and really tell everyone there's a car there. It's almost blinding to look right at it.
  • Third, these are LED versus bulb which means they use less power (not a huge deal) but they will last longer assuming the kind of lights are high-quality circuitry.

The minor shortcoming of these? Well, if you look very closely at the housing during the day, you can see a bit of yellow because these are longer than the stock bulbs and yellow around the LEDs versus clear glass bulbs so it's quite easy to see them but you have to know what you're looking for. A normal person walking by won't notice the off color.

Are they brighter? YOU BETCHA! These lights are insanely bright. If they were slightly less bright, I'd actually be okay with that. You get what you pay for!

Packaging:

Lights:

This post doesn't help people comparing the two lights (stock versus DAK). I don't have video of the stock tail lights so if someone has that w/ reverse please feel free to quote me and add it here so others can see a comparison.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 · (Edited)
ECS Billet Aluminum Engine Bay - Bedazzling - 3-4-2016

Here's what I bought:
ECS Tuning Billet Engine Oil Dipstick - Polished ES#: 2966415 - $60
Oil Kit - Polished Billet Aluminum Oil Housing ES#: 2785331 - $171
Oil Cap - Machine ES#: 2999286 - $75
Washer Fluid Reservoir Cap - Machined ES#: 2984680 - $65
Expansion Tank Cap - Machined ES#: 2984696 - $69

---

Installation didn't take that long. Quite easy. Worth $369 for everything? Probably not but it does look cool. I'd probably buy it again but if you're deciding between this and an air intake, I'd go intake.

This is very easy to do. It's not for everyone but I do like the look of it.

I can't install the oil-filter housing until my next oil change. Most likely to be done after Wookies in the woods.

Photos:

Before:

After:

I also ordered a Charcoal cabin filter and my next oil change parts:

I found the cabin air filter $8-10 USD cheaper on other sites so shop around.

Here's a video:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
ECS MK7 Hatch Pop Kit, 3-4-2016

I didn't snap any photos of this. Just made a video on how to install but you can fast forward to 3:24 in the video to see how it looks.

Order yours here today! Paid $95 USD for it at time of purchase.

Spoiler: I've already filed an RMA with ECS. I don't need my hatch to go up automatically. This was a waste.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Need blue washer fluid instead of peeing in it

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Need blue washer fluid instead of peeing in it
It's the Prestone defroster stuff...it does look like urine after a night of pizza and beer

1st one would be hidden by my intake, or am I looking at the photo right?

2nd one, is actually in my "wishlist" at some point. I just need to replenish the savings after going on a spending spree the past 2 weeks. Also just bought a motorcycle which arrives next Friday...so I'm poor again (at least in my funny-money account)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
I didn't snap any photos of this. Just made a video on how to install but you can fast forward to 3:24 in the video to see how it looks.

Order yours here today! Paid $95 USD for it at time of purchase.

Spoiler: I've already filed an RMA with ECS. I don't need my hatch to go up automatically. This was a waste.
I received a reply from ECS:

Adam,

Sounds like the struts are defective sir, we can definitely exchange it out for a new kit if you wish. However, all the return info is below to send this back for store credit. Thanks!

Since they say mine is defective, I've asked them to replace the unit instead of give me ECS Credit. I'll report back on the next one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Havn't been on it for almost a year. Rode for 10 years and enjoyed thoroughly till there were too many MC accidents too close to home. I think I got scared off. PM me if you are interested in some nice gear.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Damnnnn congrats on the GS Adam! A buddy just bought one too. I'm on my second bike, a WeeStrom650 I took to Alaska (prudhoe bay) a few years back. Not riding much lately though. Need something more fun.

Next thing you need is the lower engine cover for the R! :)

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Damnnnn congrats on the GS Adam! A buddy just bought one too. I'm on my second bike, a WeeStrom650 I took to Alaska (prudhoe bay) a few years back. Not riding much lately though. Need something more fun.

I tried buying that from a few German sellers and they stated that they're discontinued and that they cause issues popping off and destroying a bunch of stuff with it. That's why any new VWs don't come with them anymore.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
@AdamChandler,

You might not see this because you blocked me. I apologize to you and other Golf R owners ans enthusiasts. Yes, I was pushing the Ford Focus RS and was very disparaging to the Golf R. I should not have done that and going forward I will refrain from doing so. I am a Car Nut and I think the Golf R, especially the MK VII is a a great car. :thumbup:

After, you sent the thread response to the Ford Focus RS thread and quote all my remarks, I went back and read through all your posts in this thread. You have do an awesome job on your build thread especially with your videos, and mod documentations.

Anyway, again sorry and you won't hear any more VW demeaning comments from me. I still follow VW and especailly the Golf R.

Take Care and thanks again for taking the time to post all of your mod build adventure. :thumbup::thumbup:

Could someone on this thread please pass on my sincere apology to Adam Chandler.

MidCow3 :peace::peace:
Props for the sincere and honest look back. Somtimes we all forget we're all car enthusiasts and variety is the spice of life. The world would be a poorer place if we all drove the same vehicle.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 · (Edited)
This is my 2000th post on Vortex! thanks for putting up with my stupid enthusiasm for the last 6 months.

I lucked out honestly. If you check Cycle Trader, even nationally, a Fully loaded R1200 GS Adventure can't be had if you want one less than 10K miles and you always want it for 10 grand. I lucked out and got both. It's a 2009 so it's oil cooled instead of water cooled. I plan on driving at least to Calgary, maybe Vancouver in September so I wanted something that would be great on highways but in my area, there are hundreds of snow mobile trails that are deserted in the summer-time so I'll be doing minor packed dirt off-roading on the weekends..but at the core, It's a commuter (w/ luggage racks removed) and a long highway miles bike.

I'm looking forward to some adventures. Ordered a Sargent seat, a Satnav from TomTom (my employer) and some comfortable pedals for long rides.

Back to the bike, I found it in Baltimore, had a local Motorrad enthusiast go check out the bike for me and the owner took it to a local BMW shop for the 7K mile maintenance and yearly inspection (cost total of $500). The only thing that wasn't replaced or changed was the tires which I was told have about a thousand miles left in them so I order put an order in for new Contis to throw on before I get into some serious riding. The BMW place sent me a PDF of the inspection. Everything is in perfect order except 3 scratches. 7K miles, new, the owner paid 23 grand for the bike, since 2009, he's only ridden under 7K miles and I'm getting it for 10. He's even driving the bike up here for me on the back of his truck to make sure I'm happy with the sale before we sign paperwork. Backstory is the owner was deployed and bought it in Italy. Rode it on weekends there and had it shipped back. It's been in his garage ever since. so it's truly a Euro model.

Havn't been on it for almost a year. Rode for 10 years and enjoyed thoroughly till there were too many MC accidents too close to home. I think I got scared off. PM me if you are interested in some nice gear.

I got your PM. moving today so I'll reply by Monday. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
If you let the car cool down overnight you should be able to swap out the filter housing without doing an oil or even a filter change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

421 - 440 of 662 Posts