VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
441 - 460 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I didn't snap any photos of this. Just made a video on how to install but you can fast forward to 3:24 in the video to see how it looks.

Order yours here today! Paid $95 USD for it at time of purchase.

Spoiler: I've already filed an RMA with ECS. I don't need my hatch to go up automatically. This was a waste.
Thanks for posting that, I almost pulled the trigger on this part a few times but your video was enlightening. Will look at some other options. I like ECS, but that is just poorly executed.

·
Vendor
22,621 Posts
I ordered this from DeAutoKey - http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-vw-gti-entire-trunk-housing-bright-error-free-plug-and-play

$29 and it shipped the same day from New York for anyone interested in that sort of detail. Packing was decent but it doesn't need to be a pro job. Came via USPS in a standard box.

first of all, I already have an LED light in my boot. IT's this one that I bought from ECS - https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2863506/ $11.99 and made by Ziza. This is what that light looks like (taken in August)

I ordered from DeAutoKey in hopes theirs was a bit brighter. if not, I planned on returning it. I was amazed to see this (Ziza Bottom, DeAutoKey Top)

Ziza has 8 LED lights and the DAK has between 12-16 lights and has a protective rear metal housing and overall the snap-in to the rear plastic was way more tight than the Ziza. Overall, this feels like a $30 part and the Ziza feels like a $5 part. The difference is huge especially when you look at the amount of light!!!!

DeAutoKey:

If you're in need of brighter rear boot lights, I'd go DAK over Ziza and pay the extra cost.

Here's the packaging:

:thumbup: thanks, review is great, sub'd.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I always liked those big bastards. Maybe I will get one some day.

I don't do as many miles as you, but I figure the same thing any time I take my bike somewhere. A mile on it is a mile less on the R. I try and commute on it at least a couple days a week. More if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
I don't do as many miles as you, but I figure the same thing any time I take my bike somewhere. A mile on it is a mile less on the R. I try and commute on it at least a couple days a week. More if the weather cooperates.
24 MPG on Golf R, 50+ on this one when not loaded up.

That's already a good thing. The set of new Conti Trail Attack tires was nearly $400 and 7K miles is probably all I'll get out of them at the most...9K? IDK, so the tires are basically on par with my Michelins on the Golf R as they're $800 for the set and will get me 15-20K. Maintenance on this beast is about $200-$350 depending on issues every 6-7K miles.

Clutch, brakes etc are going to be pricey when they do need to be changed.

I'd say BMW is probably a pricey bike overall if you're looking to save any significant amount of money. On the other hand, nearly fully high-end coverage was $300 a year. $455 to get the best coverage, $100 was "basic" but not covering GAP, theft, comprehensive and only doing 5K medical is basically asking for something terrible to go wrong.

So at the end of the day, I bought it for fun and less miles on my Golf R (resale) but the yearly costs of riding my bike instead of my Golf R won't save me any short-term money. It'll be about the same.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, I understand and don't realistically expect it to save me money. I haven't looked up prices for tires on my Fat Boy Lo, but I'm sure that 200 section rear isn't cheap. I'll do most of the maintenance myself, but I think I'm going to let the dealer to the 1k service soon just so it gets a good once over by them. It's nice to spread the love (read:money and mileage) out between a couple of good vehicles though.

I've made myself a resolution that I'd very much like to own multiple bikes some day. I'd go so far as to say I'd like to never sell a bike again, but I don't know if that will be realistic in the long run. It would be great though to have a cruiser, a sportbike, an adventure bike... etc, etc...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·
Today, I did a very quick mod.

Spent $85 on eBay for 2 A4 Headrests. "AUDI A4 SEDAN OEM REAR SEAT OUTER HEADREST BLACK 05 06 07 08"

They look great:

Before:

After:

I would have liked to pay $50 total for both but these are OEM headrests and $85 for 2 seemed to be the going rate at least on eBay. i'm sure you can shop around and find a lower price but they look great. Leather is the exact same color but the stitching is slightly darker. I'm sure that no one will notice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Today, I did a very quick mod.

Spent $85 on eBay for 2 A4 Headrests. "AUDI A4 SEDAN OEM REAR SEAT OUTER HEADREST BLACK 05 06 07 08"

They look great:

Before:

After:

I would have liked to pay $50 total for both but these are OEM headrests and $85 for 2 seemed to be the going rate at least on eBay. i'm sure you can shop around and find a lower price but they look great. Leather is the exact same color but the stitching is slightly darker. I'm sure that no one will notice.
Nice, I might have to pick up a pair. I really hate the blind spots caused by the stock headrests.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
between the extra visibility and ease of folding down the rear seats that actually looks like a useful mod
Yep! I actually miss the manual slide seat forward on the Mk6 R. Waiting for the motor to move my driver seat forward so I can put down the rear seat is annoying every time. No longer an issue though with these head rests and I can see everything behind me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
How uncomfortable is it to sit in the seat with the headrest down? People are always sitting in my car and i feel they will be constantly raising these.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
How uncomfortable is it to sit in the seat with the headrest down? People are always sitting in my car and i feel they will be constantly raising these.

The mod may not be for you to be honest. I've had people sit in my back seat...once. That's it and it was a camping trip and we drove 5 miles to the local store to get some beer and drove back to the camp. Putting my seats down and seeing out the mirror are daily / weekly occurrences.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Its kinda crappy to have them down when sitting in the seat. To raise them you just pull, and you have to push the button to lower them. When raised the A4 headrests are just as comfortable as the Stock IMO

·
Registered
Golf R
900 Posts
Of course the ultimate solution is to just remove all 3 of them IF you seldom/never have anybody back there...and even if you do I really doubt they will notice the lack of head rests..;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Adam, great job with your build I'm a frequent visitor on your thread. I have about 1k to spend on mods; I'm still under warranty so I'm looking at a JBM; what would you recommend next? Looking for an upgrade that I will notice immediately.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

441 - 460 of 662 Posts