·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·

Yesterday, I had the APR Intercooler installed. With my road-trip so close (Tuesday), I didn't want to screw up the install and be stuck w/o a car but I did want the benefits the intercooler provides for my Tail of the Dragon run next Friday. So, Redline Motorsport in Hartland VT. These guys did my VWR Springs and they've inspected a lot of the work I've done myself to the car to make sure mistakes weren't made. I had them install the intercooler but also give the car a once-over to make sure everything was in good working order.

4 Hours for Intercooler install. I paid $375 for 5 hours of total labor w/ the extra work they performed. (retightening hoses that were loose, inspecting, etc).

---

Mechanic Remarks:

• Perfect Fit
  • No Trimming
  • No cutting
  • APR, as promised delivered a fully bolt-on product
  • It was about 30 degrees and my intercooler had been stored in my shed for 3 weeks so mechanic mentioned that he nearly broke a few plastic pieces
  • He used a heat-gun a few inches from the plastic edges to make the plastic less brittle. No he didn't melt it, just made things less brittle
  • It took 3 guys to effectively do this because one guy holds, and a guy on each side clip things in.
  • He said one guy, probably 7 hours of work and hoping nothing breaks in the process
  • "Taking the front end of this car took a lot of work. There's more clips than you'd think in there"

He also drove my car before and after and remarked it's noticeably faster. Like....it's a rocket and you can feel the turbo pulling a bit harder.

I personally can tell a difference. I figured at 40F (when I picked it up), the intercooler wouldn't need to work very hard and it'd be one of those things I'd never really notice (20 WHP is nothing when your'e already around 350-370) but it's noticeable especially as you hit the top end of the RPMs and she just keeps pulling stronger. Once things heat up, I'm certain it'll be a noticeable mod and one I'm glad was done.

$899 + 4 hours labor.

Everyone in warm weather that's stage II should do this mod.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Awesome thread and results on the intercooler. As someone that lives in the south, It will be an investment for me in the future. Can't wait to see your car at Wookies. You have modded your R to my taste, so will be interesting to take a look and possibly talk on it a bit. Nice job!!!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Awesome thread and results on the intercooler. As someone that lives in the south, It will be an investment for me in the future. Can't wait to see your car at Wookies. You have modded your R to my taste, so will be interesting to take a look and possibly talk on it a bit. Nice job!!!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to meeting you and so many awesome R-Owners. I fully agree, down south, this would be a stage I thing to do. Up here, we see 70+ F 1-2 weeks a year.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thank you! I'm looking forward to meeting you and so many awesome R-Owners. I fully agree, down south, this would be a stage I thing to do. Up here, we see 70+ F 1-2 weeks a year.
Yep, my BT B6 A4 received 2 intercoolers before I was able to keep the temps down. I suppose we have the disadvantage on that front, but it equals out not having to run winter tires/wheels.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I hinted at this in another thread, are you gonna sell your other ECS strut? If so can I buy it?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I hinted at this in another thread, are you gonna sell your other ECS strut? If so can I buy it?
I'm going to hang on to it. I have a suspicion that having one strong & one weak bar might lead to premature failure of the ECS one so keeping a spare might be a good thing. So I already put the spare in storage.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Spring 2016 Golf R Detailing, 4-12-2016

With wookies in the woods keeping me busy, I didn't have any time to post photos from my detailing work. I get my car detailed by a pro twice a year. Northeast Detailing in Hookset NH did my Opti-Coat Pro Plus work so I take it back to them since they can also do warranty work on any swirls that show up. It was $433 total and that includes a full gold detailing, Opti-Coat Lens on my front windshield that was replaced and $200 in Kris' time in paint-correction on a few spots that swirled due to my personal negligence. It was a 7:30-3:30 job with Kris and another guy helping time to time.

Here are a few photos and the full photo-set is here.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Updated ECS Hatch Pop Kit...so I'm not retuning this one I think

Since ECS locked its Hatch pop kit thread, I decided to post this here.

I installed my hatch pop kit 2 weekends ago, and decided to wait to do my review until I had some experience with the product.

I first tried installing only 1 strut, while it worked like in adam's video - after coding the hatch release button I found the single strut couldnt actually open the hatch, if I pulled it just one inch the hatch would open from there.

I bit the bullet and installed both struts, While the opening was slightly violent as many have mentioned, it did not appear the hatch hinges were in any danger of damage.

Long term impressions are that the violence of the final hatch open is gone, and the hatch is much easier to close. I believe there is an element of break in to these. Happy with the kit, it serves it's function well.

·
Vendor
39,662 Posts
Since ECS locked its Hatch pop kit thread, I decided to post this here.

I installed my hatch pop kit 2 weekends ago, and decided to wait to do my review until I had some experience with the product.

I first tried installing only 1 strut, while it worked like in adam's video - after coding the hatch release button I found the single strut couldnt actually open the hatch, if I pulled it just one inch the hatch would open from there.

I bit the bullet and installed both struts, While the opening was slightly violent as many have mentioned, it did not appear the hatch hinges were in any danger of damage.

Long term impressions are that the violence of the final hatch open is gone, and the hatch is much easier to close. I believe there is an element of break in to these. Happy with the kit, it serves it's function well.
Thanks for the feedback!

Andy

481 - 500 of 662 Posts