VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
501 - 520 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Long term impressions are that the violence of the final hatch open is gone, and the hatch is much easier to close. I believe there is an element of break in to these. Happy with the kit, it serves it's function well.
Glad your experience was better. I've returned my 2nd kit. I had strangers @ grocery stores saying "something's wrong with your car" when I had the 2nd spring installed.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I won't lie, I made it through about half the thread so...but this is a CAR. Nicely done!

j

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
That's just awesome.

Great R minds think alike.

Took my GS out last weekend.

It's finally good riding weather! The trails are still pretty muddy up here but Roxanne and I had a great time. I try to keep biking stuff off here but less Golf R time is a good thing, I've put 16K miles on it since August. so roughly 20K a year. I need to stop driving so much.

I won't lie, I made it through about half the thread so...but this is a CAR. Nicely done!

j

thank you! I hope it inspires others. Bertha and I are going to have a nice Summer. Lots of small refinements and lots of track-time

·
Registered
54 Posts
Adam your inbox is full!

I'll be at eurokracy as well. Keep the spacers for me, I'll take them if it's okay with you. We could meet at eurokracy... Are you going on saturday and sunday or only one day?

Let me know if you can find the bolts I would be extremely happy!

Thank you.

(You can pm me back)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Adam your inbox is full!

I'll be at eurokracy as well. Keep the spacers for me, I'll take them if it's okay with you. We could meet at eurokracy... Are you going on saturday and sunday or only one day?

Let me know if you can find the bolts I would be extremely happy!

Thank you.

(You can pm me back)
clearing Inbox now. really sorry about that. I'll get the bolts as well and set them aside. Let's PM to swap numbers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Better Photos of the Window Tinting Work:

Formula One Llumar Pinnacle 50% on Rear Windows
Formula One Llumar Air 80% on Front Windows

Volkswagen Racing Springs Arrived today:

ECS Tuning Stance Enhance Kit for 19" OEM Cadiz Golf R Wheels:

The Euro LED Taillights Harness should be here today and the Taillights arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to getting these installed over the next week.
Adam, thanks for the great thread, it's been really helpful in helping me plan my own build. I'm in the same boat as you, in that this is the first car I'm going to mod myself -- hoping for more trial than error, though!

That said, did you do the VWR springs yourself? If you did, how would you rate it on the difficulty scale?

Also, I'm looking at the HRE FF15's (or Enkei RS05RR's) in 18x8.5 with 235/40's. How are you liking the ride on the VWR springs? I saw you passed on 19's because of potholes; I feel your pain. I'm in Virginia, and actually will likely end up in the NE, so potholes and practicality are going probably going to win out. 19's would look so sweet tho....

Thanks for whatever info you can provide

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ha, nevermind... just got to the next page and saw you had the springs installed at a VW shop.

Still interested in what you think about the HRE's tho!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
Adam, thanks for the great thread, it's been really helpful in helping me plan my own build. I'm in the same boat as you, in that this is the first car I'm going to mod myself -- hoping for more trial than error, though!

That said, did you do the VWR springs yourself? If you did, how would you rate it on the difficulty scale?

Also, I'm looking at the HRE FF15's (or Enkei RS05RR's) in 18x8.5 with 235/40's. How are you liking the ride on the VWR springs? I saw you passed on 19's because of potholes; I feel your pain. I'm in Virginia, and actually will likely end up in the NE, so potholes and practicality are going probably going to win out. 19's would look so sweet tho....

Thanks for whatever info you can provide
Thanks! I documented everything as best I can in hopes it helps others in their quest for a lot of Golf R Mods. I have more things going on this week that I'll have to write about.

I love the HREs. They're hard to clean (compared to Cadiz) but I have a Wheel Brush and it does the job. 18s aren't as beautiful. If this car was on a trailer going to car-shows, I'd have 19s or even 20s with rolled fenders but it's a daily driver and track-focused car therefore 18 is far more friendly on my wallet (ding a wheel, cheaper to replace) and the riding comfort (I do 20k miles a year).

Ha, nevermind... just got to the next page and saw you had the springs installed at a VW shop.

Still interested in what you think about the HRE's tho!
I hope my thoughts help. I can PM you a guy at HRE to talk to if you have any product questions. Jurian replies same day.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Adam, any reason for ditching the APR turbo muffler delete?

No ditching yet, it'll be installed this week. The thing is, it's like low of 35F tonight. we're still in cold-weather temps and after a long day I Just wanna sit by the fire and drink beer instead of tinkering with the car. Soon, we'll have warm weather and I can start doing stuff again.

I've had the upgraded BFI Shift Knob for 2 weeks. too damn cold to do it.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Oh, i see. Ya, don't feel bad, I have had a truck load of mods I have yet to install. I hope to have them all in before we meet up later this week in Epping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
May 24th Mod Update

Good morning! This one may be a bit text heavy but I may cross-post this to my blog and those 15 people that read it are used to my long-windedness.

Plug time!
Please consider checking out my YouTube channel or my Blog. I appreciate the follows.

Drag-Racing at New England Dragway, My best time was 12.162. I can do better. More pictures and video are here - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nes-Signup&p=96710626&viewfull=1#post96710626

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdw-6hZSAMA

Oil Case:
I ended up damaging the port my oil cap goes into and had to spend $100 in parts and $350 in labor to get everything replaced since the oil casing is all one piece. Also had to change the oil 2 days after I just did it. Quite the ordeal.
1st Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AG_vs6050E
2nd Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuMqZVol9hU

I also changed my cabin air filter. Recommended every 20K miles for you guys if you live in rural areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SAzCKybnQ4

-----

On Sunday, I installed my replacement BFI Shift knob. If anyone has seen the first video of my experience ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8wzUr2fHdw ), you know how I was pretty disappointed with the situation. The whole thing was stressful. I paid $150 for this optional mod since DSG vehicles do not need weighted shift knobs. I got the knob 4-6 weeks later because it was basically "1 of 1" with the blue alcantara leather, black metal and DSG. They made it just for me and then when I went to install it, I couldn't get the car out of park or back into park. Just warning lights galore. I took it off and started a conversation with BFI.

You guys have been great and very patient with my comments. The knob is beautiful, I’d like to keep it but I think I’m going to ask for a return. Here are the scenarios I’m going through:

• I over tighten screws and knob won't lift
• I under tighten screws, knob lifts and turns in place freely yet drivability isn't impacted, it just moves and rattles
• I put lever too low and I can't get the car out of park
• I put lever 1 MM too high and and my car's computer says I'm not in park

I’ve spent over an hour last night and this morning trying to get things going. I can’t keep a wrench in my car to adjust my shifter every time I want to go for a drive. I ended up getting to work my car still doesn’t think it’s in park. even if I get the parking situation fixed, I need to remove the BFI coin so I can adjust the philips head screw becaue tightened down, the knob wobbles and I can’t remove the coin and I’ve already scratched it just trying to get the coin out. I’m frustrated. very frustrated.
Their response after a couple of back and forth:

I can appreciate you having some frustration with the install, based on how things have gone for you the several times that you have tried it. We are always willing to help and find ways to assist you in getting the part properly installed, but at this point I have to be straight forward with you: this is not a situation where we would accept a return for this item. The resons are twofold - basically because:
This was a specially made item for you - there were no official DSG Blue knobs made, and we did this as a special order upon your request, and this knob has been installed, is no longer in new condition and by your own explanation has been damaged upon install ( "I can’t remove the coin and I’ve already scratched it just trying to get the coin out").

Now that being said, I am happy to have you send it back to us where we can test it and make sure there isn't an issue with the knob itself, and possibly replace for free or at a low cost the parts that have been damaged. But if we find that the knob is within design specs then there would be nothing we could do further then to send it back to you.
I replied:

That’s incredibly frustrating.

thanks for everything.

I don’t really know what else to say except this outcome has me feeling quite depressed. I went through so much time to get this installed, documented as best I could. I understand business, I get that you’d be eating the cost because it’s damaged but I became desperate when things continued to not work. i’m just very saddened by this. I’m sorry that we can’t continue our relationship.

I’m going to send it back to you but if there’s no issue at all, I don’t want the knob back. It has no purpose except taking up space and I can’t rightfully sell it as used to another Golf owner. You guys can re-use it and make another buck.

That was on November 2nd. I returned the knob to them and 2 months later they replied that they had found an issue with the construction and gave me a choice. They told me for a few bucks they could refurbish the unit and replace the part of the knob the twas causing the issue as well and they gave me a Spring 2016 timeline. I told them it's no rush, it's too cold for mods anyway and they can take their time.

At the end of April, Michael emailed me to send out a replacement and they also indicated they wouldn't charge me for shipping or the price of the refurbishing. It took a while but I'm really impressed that they made things right. I know some people here may judge them for their first response. I was disappointed but just took it as a loss to car modding and honestly, almost every 3rd party in the VW community had done something to me where I'm left scratching my head like if any other company did this, there would outrage. Like I have a pair of touring motorcycle boots. I emailed the manufacture and they sent me a replacement clip the next day. My pants tore a seam and they replaced the pants and paid shipping both ways. My Shoei Helmet had an issue w/ a vent and it was replaced and overnight shipping back to me. Finally, had camera companies replace entire units out of warranty due to defects. With car modding companies, I get the feeling that they're dealing with punk kids all day and they just sort of don't have any patience for someone screwing up an install or they blame the customer for everything. BFI isn't the only company that has said "tough luck". Emmanuelle design with the Bull-X downpipe. They went back and forth over email but at the end of the day, my downpipe still rattles when I'm in reverse and they never took ownership and offered to replace it. APR's boost gauge still rattles and they've replaced it once and won't replace it again. Weather tech stopped replying to my emails. Imagine that. A company that wants to sell floor mats and promises an ETA 3 different times just stops replying to your email inquiries. What kind of sales is that??!?!

Of all of the companies that have left me hanging out to dry, I'm really stoked that BFI came through for me. Most of you will say "well the part was messed up. of course they did" well, you'd be surprised how many of these well respected companies ignore their customers.

USP charged my card for a part they didn't even have in stock, 2 months later they finally reimbursed me after promising over and over that the SueprPro Rear Sway bar would ship any day now "It's in the warehouse, it'll ship in 2 days" then a week goes by and nothing. I have to applaud Deutsche Auto Parts and New German Performance for making promises and actually coming through on shipping ETAs. Charles @ NGP worked directly with APR to get my boost gauge replaced. that's over and above what was needed. a retailer fighting for us? unheard of.

So thanks BFI. thank you very much for making this right!!!!

Here's the updated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=300mO78lcrY

---------

While my oil casing hardware was being replaced. I had the APR Turbo Muffler Delete installed.

....snake oil.

Like the DV+, the turbo sounds louder overall but all of these companies promise throttle response, improved xxxxxxxx and such and the Turbo Muffler delete adds noise. I can't feel any other improvements. Turbo spool, power to the wheels, meh. It sounds nice and isn't hurting anything so I'll keep it installed.

---------

SuperPro Rear Sway Bar + HD Links.

Amazing. I started feeling a difference the moment I left the mechanic. The links and sway bar look great in blue (if someone is under your car) other than that, no one knows they're on. The responsiveness of the RSB + Michelin PSS is ridiculous. You move the steering wheel and you're moved immediately. It's instantaneous response. Around those 180 degree off-ramps, I can do 60 MPH before the wheels start to squeal and the car feels way more planted. I't's that night & day feeling of stock springs and VWR springs. this was another level of being planted.

Every day I'm just really impressed.

The bad? Well, on my drive to work, we have a lot of permanent frost heaves and dips in the road that are like 2" dips on the right side of the road, things you non-NH/VT people would have huge warnings signs for (reminds me I should do a tour of my road for you guys so you can see how bad they are) and on these roads, the RSB firmness on the lightest setting, it's very noticeable. Not so much that I'll take the unit off but certainly a rough ride. Once I leave my area, it's great.

I'm looking forward to pushing it hard on the track.

Here are some photos:

·
Registered
331 Posts
great last update
thanks for your input on the turbo muffler delete.
im actually watching your thinkware dashcam vids now.
thanks for that too

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Good to see BFI coming through with the shifter knob, I'll be placing an order for mine once I move down to Houston next month. Glad everything worked out for you Adam. As for the Turbo Muffler Delete, I agree with you. It's all for increased sound similar to a res-delete in my opinion. Will you be putting on a front sway bar as well?

Lastly, those shoes man... WHAT ARE THOSE?!?! :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
How significant was the sound increase with the turbo muffler delete? Worth the money even without a performance boost?

501 - 520 of 662 Posts