VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
541 - 560 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! I documented everything as best I can in hopes it helps others in their quest for a lot of Golf R Mods. I have more things going on this week that I'll have to write about.

I love the HREs. They're hard to clean (compared to Cadiz) but I have a Wheel Brush and it does the job. 18s aren't as beautiful. If this car was on a trailer going to car-shows, I'd have 19s or even 20s with rolled fenders but it's a daily driver and track-focused car therefore 18 is far more friendly on my wallet (ding a wheel, cheaper to replace) and the riding comfort (I do 20k miles a year).

I hope my thoughts help. I can PM you a guy at HRE to talk to if you have any product questions. Jurian replies same day.

When I get around to wheels/tires, that'd be great! I'll PM you around then if I feel the need to talk to someone at HRE. In the meantime, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
actually, for the record, I used the dipstick hole for the extraction. I screwed up by over tightening the oil cap and breaking tabs. mistakes were made despite following directions :(
It was a joke about how grantmm said "Put the hose down the oil access port, down the inside of the engine and on into the oil pan." :beer:

·
Registered
385 Posts
'inside the engine' was an attempt to poke fun at the member that had to tear apart a bunch of stuff to get his tube out after shoving 5 feet of tubing in to his oil pan.

Figured the ruffians part (and 'oil access port' instead of dipstick or 710 cap) was enough to tip off the joking explanation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey man,

nice car and thread. How are you liking the VWR springs so far? I just picked up my car about 2 weeks ago and the stock height is hard for me to take after owning a lowered S4. I had H & R OE sport springs on the car prior to getting bilstein coilovers. The ride on the springs deteriorated pretty quickly. I actually really like the DCC function so I don't want to get rid of it. Great looking car again.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
hey man,

nice car and thread. How are you liking the VWR springs so far? I just picked up my car about 2 weeks ago and the stock height is hard for me to take after owning a lowered S4. I had H & R OE sport springs on the car prior to getting bilstein coilovers. The ride on the springs deteriorated pretty quickly. I actually really like the DCC function so I don't want to get rid of it. Great looking car again.

They're lowering springs. I certainly noticed an improvement the first day I put them on. Reduced body roll, better cornering but at the end of the day, lowering springs are not a means to an end, they're like 80% cosmetic, 15% improvement and 5% demotion in handling. Over time, the car will handle worse since my shocks are doing more work. Eventually, I'll swap them for a full coil-over set w/ dampening but for now, they're nice.

VWR will help you retain the DCC functionalities so that's a win and the #1 reason I chose these.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They're lowering springs. I certainly noticed an improvement the first day I put them on. Reduced body roll, better cornering but at the end of the day, lowering springs are not a means to an end, they're like 80% cosmetic, 15% improvement and 5% demotion in handling. Over time, the car will handle worse since my shocks are doing more work. Eventually, I'll swap them for a full coil-over set w/ dampening but for now, they're nice.

VWR will help you retain the DCC functionalities so that's a win and the #1 reason I chose these.
That's my sticking point. I don't know how to lower this car without getting rid of the DCC. KW HAS would work but I'm not sure they exist for the golf R. what coil overs are you going to get?

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's my sticking point. I don't know how to lower this car without getting rid of the DCC. KW HAS would work but I'm not sure they exist for the golf R. what coil overs are you going to get?
KW v3 has height and dampening adjustments, and you can replace the stock with these and also all in dash controls will keep working, you would be able to adjust dampening as usual. I don't have them but this is what they claim.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Adam,

i know your cam is hard-wired.

you haven't had any problems or concerns regarding dead battery or weak battery ?
i know at one point you were running parking mode at lowest sensitivity.

thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry, I can't help myself :facepalm:

When talking about suspension the proper word is damping. Dampening is the act of getting something wet. Carry on :p
You're not alone... Started Way WAY back in the Hayabusa Forums. Freaking everyone talking about increased Dampening by changing out their rear OEM shock. And the Ever popular stearing Dampener! All I could assume was that it's some form of Rancher's equipment that the GP is unaware of.

Then of course the same folks would talking about trail breaking, replacement break pads, etc.

There is a point where it's NOT just being pedantic, and things are simply wrong.

Irregardless though, people continue on... :D

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Adam,

i know your cam is hard-wired.

you haven't had any problems or concerns regarding dead battery or weak battery ?
i know at one point you were running parking mode at lowest sensitivity.

thanks
I get 'low battery' audible warnings sometimes and ThinkWare turns itself off. usually when I'm in my car w/ car off and radio going while I wait for my GF to finish buying pants (could take hours). ThinkWare will say "low battery" then power down.

But if I get home, turn off car and lock it, the think ware is usually still in park mode the next morning.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I get 'low battery' audible warnings sometimes and ThinkWare turns itself off. usually when I'm in my car w/ car off and radio going while I wait for my GF to finish buying pants (could take hours). ThinkWare will say "low battery" then power down.

But if I get home, turn off car and lock it, the think ware is usually still in park mode the next morning.
thank you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Adam, I listened to you and bought a Golf R

Adam,

Hey I listened to you and read your thread. I cancelled my on order Ford Focus RS and bought a 2016 Red Golf R today :eek: !

It is awesome: (1) Tornado Red, (2) 6-speed manual, (3) DCC with Nav. and (4) Driver's Assist Package.

See I did read and listen; you convinced and converted me.

Cheers,

MidCow3

·
Registered
369 Posts
LOL "irregardless" is not a word

You're not alone... Started Way WAY back in the Hayabusa Forums. Freaking everyone talking about increased Dampening by changing out their rear OEM shock. And the Ever popular stearing Dampener! All I could assume was that it's some form of Rancher's equipment that the GP is unaware of.

Then of course the same folks would talking about trail breaking, replacement break pads, etc.

There is a point where it's NOT just being pedantic, and things are simply wrong.

Irregardless though, people continue on... :D
Being pedantic you should know that "irregardless" is not a valid word :laugh: You probably meant to say "regardless" or possibly "irrespective"

However, back to the gist of the conversation, the damping provided by the DCC is almost as good as MagneRide

Cheers: :popcorn::beer:

MidCow3

·
Registered
87 Posts
I saw believe I saw you today on my way to work. You were on your BMW with a few other bikes riding past lake fairlee and I was going the other way in the black R

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
I saw believe I saw you today on my way to work. You were on your BMW with a few other bikes riding past lake fairlee and I was going the other way in the black R
Actually, I saw that same group. Waved but nope, wasn't me. There were 5-6 guys. KLR, KTM Adventure and an R1200/F800 GS just riding around the upper valley.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 · (Edited)
New License Plate Cover & Badge Emblem

Picked up:
Metal License Plate Frame - http://www.ebay.com/itm/162082462328
&
Wolfsburg / Germany Badge Emblems - http://www.ebay.com/itm/141958088353

Not sure I'll keep these on. They are metal but also just adhesive. I should have put the Wolfsburg emblem to the right about half an inch...an easy fix really. I desperately needed a new license plate cover. I feel it might look a little too ricey. I'll solicit feedback this weekend at Eurokracy and see if I should keep them or not.

541 - 560 of 662 Posts