VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Legit question(I.e. Not trolling you........which is always a possibility :)): what is the use case for the iPod holder when you have CarPlay? Waze?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Sorry, I did not mean to make you think about something you don't want to think about - I get that! I also agree it's not about how much $$$ you have spent - that kind of thing is silly and meaningless. Just to clarify, you seem like a pro when it comes to car mods, whereas folks new to it (like me) don't really have a clue, so while everything you have done sounds great, it would be good to know things like "if you want x, it will cost you y in parts and z in labor". That way, folks can make their own decision as to whether e.g. the rear light euro LED upgrade is "worth it" to them. That's where I was coming from. But if it's too painful to put the numbers down, totally understood!
I'm not a professional at all. This is my 2nd VW and the first car I've ever modified. It's all trial and error so far.

I think a community guide here on the 'real cost' of specific mods would be a great idea. Like I didn't know installation of the VWR Springs would be $300-$500 in labor. I bought the springs and now I'll have to put off installing them because that's a lot of money to spend. Things I can do myself, I will but there are embarrassing things like realizing I need needle nose pliers for the paddle shifters and having to drive 10 miles to home depot to buy them after trying to get the plastic pins out for 10 minutes with no luck or taking the plastic off my arm rest then realizing I don't have the right wrench to undo the screw and having to once again go to Home depot and buy the right thing.

It's been an interesting week of learning.

Tonight's ordeal:
I ordered the Cherry Red LED taillights from ECS...started trying to find installation advice and found out the best way to do this is a $279 Harness from Deutsche Auto Parts. I ordered that tonight and hopefully they both arrive at the same time.

----

For your personal car, I'd recommend listing out everything that you want to do. Weighing the pros and cos and then attaching a cash figure. Ask around on how much this stuff costs to install or how long to do it at home. Find out the tools you're going to need and then once again weigh in on what's important to you.

Due to warranty reasons, I'm choosing to go the interior / exterior modifications first then I'll take up performance tunes once I feel comfortable.

You raised a good point and in upcoming posts, I'll try to be more transparent on the part cost + extra tools + professional labor costs / time it took me to do it.

Legit question(I.e. Not trolling you........which is always a possibility :)): what is the use case for the iPod holder when you have CarPlay? Waze?

I've always enjoyed holders for my various devices. I'm always testing new maps at my work so I like to keep a phone that has a screen pointed at me without me having to hold it. Here's an example of a setup I used to run in my old car:

I've since realized that blocking my entire field of view is stupid and downgraded to just an iPhone dock set much lower. If I stop the car to send an email, I can still do that

Besides, CarPlay allows me to send SMS messages and receive them but I can't see the message or see what I said...only hear it. to see it, looking at the phone is still required. I get "hands free" but it's a bit ridiculous. My GF will type "LOLOLOL JK" and Siri says "LAWLALWALOLOALW GUH KAY"

I had no idea what was said and having my phone there to quickly click messages saved the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Holy Crap, the pic of your previous setup indicates deep seeded sicknesses.

I like it!

I'm thinking about getting the proclip for waze but I think I'm going to hold out to see just how much I do/don't like CarPlay. Have you checked out android auto at all?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What a great build thread! I am going definitely going to enjoy the updates.:popcorn:

Hoping to buy a GTI myself in the near future and your mod list has given a lot of inspiration. Clicked the DSG paddles link, as I plan on going that route, and was shocked by the price. Thought you were crazy to buy them, after seeing them installed I understood the reason. Still the price is not light.

Edit: dat grammar

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm thinking about getting the proclip for waze but I think I'm going to hold out to see just how much I do/don't like CarPlay. Have you checked out android auto at all?

I don't know any Android users personally. We Mac users run a tight ship for friend circles :) but I think CarPlay is very good. I won't use it all of the time though.

Clicked the DSG paddles link, as I plan on going that route, and was shocked by the price. Thought you were crazy to buy them, after seeing them installed I understood the reason. Still the price is not light.

You said it well. I pulled these out of the box and thought "$200+ for these?" They're very light, thin, cheap feeling when you hold them. However, compared to the stock plastic paddles that are impossible to reach at proper driving position, they're a huge upgrade. These probably cost $10 to manufacture but you gotta remember. R&D + small market = High price.

Don't forget, if you really hate money you can buy the Titanium versions for $450!!!!! LOL

http://www.s2tpp.com/VW.html

but seriously, I've drive 125 miles since installing these. Huge difference. I'd love to pay $150 less though. Oh well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know any Android users personally. We Mac users run a tight ship for friend circles :) but I think CarPlay is very good.
Yea I'm an iPhone user but I don't know if I can live without google maps. I have an HTC One M8 laying around that I'm going to switch my SIM back to to give it a whirl. Though if the NAV is better than MIB I it may be a moot point. I had a 2015 GTI and the nav did not work well in Phoenix.

Love your vids tho, nice work!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Small PSA that if anyone here wants to buy my MK6 2013 Golf R, it's now for sale.

http://www.noyesvolkswagen.com/Vehi...R-4dr_HB_w/Sunroof_&_Navi-Keene-NH/2592294013

I'm actually REALLY happy to see how good that CarFax report looks. Very clear maintenance record, no accidents, etc.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...075967&cs:rv=E66BD5DC09A3704AF82F04AF8BB87DCF

I was given 25K for the car and they're selling it for 29K which is about what I expected it to be listed at.

and no, I wasn't paid to post this :) I just really want my old car to go to a good home.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not a professional at all. This is my 2nd VW and the first car I've ever modified. It's all trial and error so far.

I think a community guide here on the 'real cost' of specific mods would be a great idea. Like I didn't know installation of the VWR Springs would be $300-$500 in labor. I bought the springs and now I'll have to put off installing them because that's a lot of money to spend. Things I can do myself, I will but there are embarrassing things like realizing I need needle nose pliers for the paddle shifters and having to drive 10 miles to home depot to buy them after trying to get the plastic pins out for 10 minutes with no luck or taking the plastic off my arm rest then realizing I don't have the right wrench to undo the screw and having to once again go to Home depot and buy the right thing.

It's been an interesting week of learning.

Tonight's ordeal:
I ordered the Cherry Red LED taillights from ECS...started trying to find installation advice and found out the best way to do this is a $279 Harness from Deutsche Auto Parts. I ordered that tonight and hopefully they both arrive at the same time.

----

For your personal car, I'd recommend listing out everything that you want to do. Weighing the pros and cos and then attaching a cash figure. Ask around on how much this stuff costs to install or how long to do it at home. Find out the tools you're going to need and then once again weigh in on what's important to you.

Due to warranty reasons, I'm choosing to go the interior / exterior modifications first then I'll take up performance tunes once I feel comfortable.

You raised a good point and in upcoming posts, I'll try to be more transparent on the part cost + extra tools + professional labor costs / time it took me to do it.

I've always enjoyed holders for my various devices. I'm always testing new maps at my work so I like to keep a phone that has a screen pointed at me without me having to hold it. Here's an example of a setup I used to run in my old car:

I've since realized that blocking my entire field of view is stupid and downgraded to just an iPhone dock set much lower. If I stop the car to send an email, I can still do that

Besides, CarPlay allows me to send SMS messages and receive them but I can't see the message or see what I said...only hear it. to see it, looking at the phone is still required. I get "hands free" but it's a bit ridiculous. My GF will type "LOLOLOL JK" and Siri says "LAWLALWALOLOALW GUH KAY"

I had no idea what was said and having my phone there to quickly click messages saved the misunderstanding.
Wow, Adam, now I am even more impressed that you have taken all these mods on as a first-timer! So far, all I have been able to work up the courage for in the way of mods has been installing the optional OEM sunshades along with a radical USB charger for the cigarette lighter plug :cool:)

Anyways, great to see you continue to make progress on your awesome R - keep us posted, as I am sure you will . . .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice to see you found a tint place. I was looking for one last night and there is not much at all in the upper valley. I'll have to setup an appointment at Tint King.

edit: Just noticed my location was still set to CO. I'm actually in Lebanon, NH now.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Any reason you went with Formula 1 over 3M Crystalline? It seems like you're getting top of the line gear for the car, why stop short of the tint?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Nice to see you found a tint place. I was looking for one last night and there is not much at all in the upper valley. I'll have to setup an appointment at Tint King.

edit: Just noticed my location was still set to CO. I'm actually in Lebanon, NH now.

Hi. Yeah, there was a spot in Claremont but they wanted $350 yet they wouldn't even tell me what film they used. They also didn't seem bothered when I cancelled my reservation. Another spot in Southern NH wanted $180 for Non-Ceramic but they wouldn't do my front windows even at 80% due to state-law.

Tint-King, these guys are really highly recommended. Yeah the drive sucks but it's one of those things you don't want to have just anybody do. It's always good when your 40K USD car is not even close the most expensive car they worked on that day. They did an M3, A6 and a few other imports before I rolled in.

----

so you're in Lebanon? What R do you have? let me know if you'd like to meet up or if you need some VCDS coding done, you're welcome to borrow my cable. I'm going to VOLKSBAHN on the 30th if you wanted to go, we can ride up together. Here's the thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...COME-ONE-COME-ALL!!!!&p=88149127#post88149127

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi. Yeah, there was a spot in Claremont but they wanted $350 yet they wouldn't even tell me what film they used. They also didn't seem bothered when I cancelled my reservation. Another spot in Southern NH wanted $180 for Non-Ceramic but they wouldn't do my front windows even at 80% due to state-law.

Tint-King, these guys are really highly recommended. Yeah the drive sucks but it's one of those things you don't want to have just anybody do. It's always good when your 40K USD car is not even close the most expensive car they worked on that day. They did an M3, A6 and a few other imports before I rolled in.

----

so you're in Lebanon? What R do you have? let me know if you'd like to meet up or if you need some VCDS coding done, you're welcome to borrow my cable. I'm going to VOLKSBAHN on the 30th if you wanted to go, we can ride up together. Here's the thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...COME-ONE-COME-ALL!!!!&p=88149127#post88149127
I had a 2013 Golf R and was originally planning to get the MKVII, but I actually have a S4 on order. I spent so much time on this forum before ending up with the S4 that I still hang out here and now Audizine too.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I had a 2013 Golf R and was originally planning to get the MKVII, but I actually have a S4 on order. I spent so much time on this forum before ending up with the S4 that I still hang out here and now Audizine too.
Cool! I'd love to see an S4 in person at some point. I see them on the road, never test-drove or just sat in one to feel how the seats and ergonomics are different. best of luck when you finally get it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would suggest......

An oil catch can, just saying......Nice list, thanks for sharing, Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too had ordered a muddy buddy trunk liner....

And sent it back, they are under the impression it fits Golf R and as shown in your pics, mine didn't either. So I wait.......let's see how soon before one is made, I consider it a must have.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Mod #12 - US Mill Works License Plate Holder

"Plate Kit Item# 10 , Kit: Lightened + Quick Release , Car: VW Golf Mk7 Golf R (2015+) WITHOUT park sensors - G1 bolt" $137.99 w/ Shipping. Installed @ home with a phillips head screw driver. took 30 minutes and would take about 5 minutes if I were to reinstall. Incredibly easy to do!

I'd recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to drill holes in their front bumper and wants to keep air flow into the intercooler free of any impedance.

This is the quick-release version so removing those two pins and you can easily slide the license right off the bracket which is great for car-wash day. It takes about 10 seconds to remove the plate.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Mod #13 - http://www.badgeskins.com Blue R Badges - http://www.badgeskins.com/mk7.html

These vinyl badges were quite easy to install. They are stickers so you need to be very careful how you apply them. I think they have a good look. Easy to apply, not all that cheap. $14 for the R on front and back and $22 for the R Fender badge.

Not sure I'd buy them again but now that they're installed, they do look really good. Long term, will these hold up? Will they discolor, peel, fade? Only time will tell. I'd actually like some feedback on this one. I'm a bit torn on keeping them on.

Up close you can definitely tell they're stickers. Anyone with 30 seconds to spare can rip them off.

41 - 60 of 662 Posts