VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
621 - 640 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
What the crap happened when they pulled the spark plugs? Damaged harness, stripped threads... Did they use a crow-bar?

I'm exaggerating, but if you can fill us in or post any pics, we might be able to look out for future issues. Thanks

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Was thinking the same thing, who was in there for the last spark plug change ?

How are the tires with 23% more nitrogen than air? :wave: :D

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
What the crap happened when they pulled the spark plugs? Damaged harness, stripped threads... Did they use a crow-bar?

I'm exaggerating, but if you can fill us in or post any pics, we might be able to look out for future issues. Thanks

Was thinking the same thing, who was in there for the last spark plug change ?

Pretty well documented in this video:

The ground wires are very thin. Pair that with high salt winters and you have a situation where all of my ground wires were very stuck so I broke one, almost broke a 2nd but we patched it and for over a year, I didn't ever lose ground or have any mis-fires. I might have over torqued things which, again paired with salt and corrosion meant they couldn't get a bolt out when it came to changing my spark plugs.

Self-inflicted BUT the good news is, all is good now and they taught me just how little 10 NM of torque is (very little) I was doing more like 30NM when I was changing my plugs last.

So...don't live in the northeast, don't over torque your bolts and be careful with the ground connections and you won't have my issue :p

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
How do you like the Haldex tune?

It's winter time so with winter tires, I just get wheel spin but in 3rd gear, 50MPH, if I floor it it's noticeably stronger pulling from 50 - 90. I can't wait to see how my times improve but I **** you not, it is much stronger and launches you into your seat way more.

How do you like the coils?
Well, I like the VWR springs, they were nice but I bottomed out more and scrape the ground more. I was going to get the Billstein B16s installed but we ran out of time. My tuner is 2 hours south so everything had to get done in one day. He thinks that we should just install the shocks in the spring since they'd just corrode in the salt up here anyway.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, I like the VWR springs, they were nice but I bottomed out more and scrape the ground more. I was going to get the Billstein B16s installed but we ran out of time. My tuner is 2 hours south so everything had to get done in one day. He thinks that we should just install the shocks in the spring since they'd just corrode in the salt up here anyway.
That makes sense. Please let us know what you think of them once you have them installed.

Where did you purchase them? I didn’t know they were readily available yet. It seems like it these have been in development forever!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
That makes sense. Please let us know what you think of them once you have them installed.

Where did you purchase them? I didn’t know they were readily available yet. It seems like it these have been in development forever!

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bsn-49-255874/recommendedparts

Cheapest place I found. Called in advance to ensure they were in stock and not just a random listing. You can find cheaper out of UK but I called Billstein USA and they said if I buy from UK, I have to get all warranty work done out of there which is higher shipping so I decided to spend $300 more and have the warranty.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Looking good Adam. Next time you see Marc, tell him I said hello. If he doesn't remember, mention Canadian '96 S6. Referred to in my signature.

·
Registered
363 Posts
AdamChandler's 2016 Golf R "Bertha" Build Thread

Car looks great Adam! Does Mark do regular service interval type work? I didn’t know if he did ‘regular maintenance’ stuff over there.

Also, how much did the Haldex tune run you?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
Looking good Adam. Next time you see Marc, tell him I said hello. If he doesn't remember, mention Canadian '96 S6. Referred to in my signature.

Thanks. Initially I met Marc as he was the nearest UM dealer (closest tuner of any one actually, no one is closer to me that does APR even) and I really like his casual style and he still does a fantastic job. He works on enough amateur modded german cars that he has seen everything. I'm gonna see him in a few months so I'll mention you said hey!

Car looks great Adam! Does Mark do regular service interval type work? I didn’t know if he did ‘regular maintenance’ stuff over there.

Also, how much did the Haldex tune run you?
Tune was $599 which I believe is the UM cost. EFI Express is building their Flex Fuel rails so they never charge over what Fred or Jeff say to charge. EFI has happily updated my car, re-flashed and even helped me pass inspection this year when UM wouldn't. He doesn't charge for things related to the tune I own which I appreciate. He does get a cut of every tune done of course but I am not sure he broke even yet with how much I go see him. I always try to throw something else in that is billable so he makes some money by me dropping by (almost 2 hours drive south)

I had my 40K mile service done at 20K miles at a local shop 2 years ago. They charged $500. My local VW Dealer quoted $700 to do 40K + Haldex + DSG service. Mark charged me $450 and he works on a lot more modded cars than most so I think it was worth it. He used OEM fluids and RS7 plugs at my request. the only thing on his invoice that I felt was a bit pricey was the spark plugs. I've gotten them for cheaper.

But yeah, he'll do service work too!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks. Initially I met Marc as he was the nearest UM dealer (closest tuner of any one actually, no one is closer to me that does APR even) and I really like his casual style and he still does a fantastic job. He works on enough amateur modded german cars that he has seen everything. I'm gonna see him in a few months so I'll mention you said hey!

Tune was $599 which I believe is the UM cost. EFI Express is building their Flex Fuel rails so they never charge over what Fred or Jeff say to charge. EFI has happily updated my car, re-flashed and even helped me pass inspection this year when UM wouldn't. He doesn't charge for things related to the tune I own which I appreciate. He does get a cut of every tune done of course but I am not sure he broke even yet with how much I go see him. I always try to throw something else in that is billable so he makes some money by me dropping by (almost 2 hours drive south)

I had my 40K mile service done at 20K miles at a local shop 2 years ago. They charged $500. My local VW Dealer quoted $700 to do 40K + Haldex + DSG service. Mark charged me $450 and he works on a lot more modded cars than most so I think it was worth it. He used OEM fluids and RS7 plugs at my request. the only thing on his invoice that I felt was a bit pricey was the spark plugs. I've gotten them for cheaper.

But yeah, he'll do service work too!
Thanks for the info. He was super helpful with all my inspection stuff as well. Would love to throw more business his way.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
Thanks for the info. He was super helpful with all my inspection stuff as well. Would love to throw more business his way.

Totally, when I first went I thought "this guy deserves more business" but I think he has so many old school clients now and involved in things like the Flex Fuel rails for UM that he stays pretty darn busy. Either way, EFI Express is top of my list when I have a mechanical issue that requires experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's winter time so with winter tires, I just get wheel spin but in 3rd gear, 50MPH, if I floor it it's noticeably stronger pulling from 50 - 90. I can't wait to see how my times improve but I **** you not, it is much stronger and launches you into your seat way more.
Cool, good to know, might look at doing this when winter is over. Just bought a ton of stuff to tide me over until Stage II next Black Friday so this will be a welcome addition in between that.

...RS7 plugs at my request. the only thing on his invoice that I felt was a bit pricey was the spark plugs. I've gotten them for cheaper.
Can't remember what tune you are. If APR, don't they recommend NGK 9's? On Amazon, they are $40 each. How much were your RS7's and where can you get them cheaper?

Hit 40K...
I'm a tank of gas behind you. She's been good to me so far. :beer:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #638 ·
I've been Stage II since 1000 miles, too. I halve all of my maintenance interval which is overkill. Other than that, this car has surprisingly been very reliable. I hope that continues as I don't plan on getting rid of it.

I think I was buying my RS7 plugs from ShopDAP. maybe they went up in price. $57.60 is what i paid for 4 last time. I'm still on United Motorsport's tune. I'll give NGK a try next time.

----

I'm gonna put the Haldex tune up there with a lot of the mods you do after going Stage 2 + TCU Tune but still way ahead cold air intake, Fluidampr and larger intake hoses / inlet.

If someone wanted to modify their Golf R, My recommendation would be:

Brakes (EBC Pads, Stoptech rotors, OEM size)
Suspension (Billstein B16 if DCC, lowering springs just prematurely wear out your shocks and they drop the car but don't functionally do much else)
Rear Sway bar + links
Stage 2
Downpipe
TCU
then Haldex Upgrade

Then everything else if you still have the itch to mod the car. The first 7 things is going to cost an R owner around $7,000 if you do it all yourself. The Golf R is going to be a mind-blowing car with those mods. For a daily, sticking with the IS38 is the best thing I've done. I'm not the fastest R out there but I smoke every STI / GTI / RS on the road and the non supercharged Challengers. For a daily driver that needs to get me to work without breaking down, stock turbo and likely the only restraint I've had on this car. If my turbo blows though, I'll probably bite the bullet :p

I've added a lot of stuff to my car that did nothing or added nothing.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 · (Edited)
From November - April, my Golf R was in winter storage. She sat full of fuel stabilizer and just chilled out. She was a 40,200 miles or so and the snow came (starting October 27th this year) and it continued to snow until April 10th. I think it's finally behind us now but we'll see. Anyway, I picked her up on the 7th, loaded up my brand new Billstein B16 Ride-Control Shocks and my 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot 4S Tires and HRE wheels and headed south to get setup for Summer. No other work was needed since I did everything necessary to the car in November. First, a LOT of photos:

This is the result of being lowered for 3 years:

These are OEM Monroe Shocks + VWR Lowering Springs (which are all rusted through)

This goop is undercoating spray that we get here in New Hampshire to fight against the aggressive corrosion This car was driven for 2 winters and it already had a big impact on the car. Rusty bolts, control arms, sub-frame and even end-links completely rusted through:

These are the Billstein B16s and you can see the module there to allow my DCC system in the VW to control damping dynamically:

My springs arrived with paint chipped off and Billstein & Summit racing both told me to just paint over it since they have no springs in stock in USA until mid-summer they can send me. They said if the paint flakes off and rust sets in, they'll replace this spring for me:

Axle Bolts:

Shop DAP sells a Suspension bolt kit with all VW/VAG parts. Given that all of my bolts were rusted, this was worth $70. I also bought new upper strut mounts since mine were clicking on both sides:

Time to install the coilovers:

VWR:

Billstein:

overall thoughts? The problem with new suspension, it's like new tires. When the old ones are so worn out, anything feels like a huge upgrade. Yes, the B16s ride amazingly. My GF was blown away. She'd grown to hate riding in my car because of how harsh and bouncy the ride was in any mode. She said this morning "this rides better than my sportwagen" it really does. But I think the stock Golf R w/ DCC rode better than her wagon as well. When I lowered it 1" with VWR Springs, I modified the suspension geometry, handling and gave myself far less travel in the springs causing the cart to bottom out on any bump. It was harsh, bouncy and annoying. The only positive was it looked good parked versus stock. Unsurprisingly, the coil-over setup allows the car to sit low while still having a full spring travel. But going from springs + shocks with 40K miles on them to these is also going to be a huge upgrade. I actually lifted the car slightly because of scraping coming in and out of my drive-way so this is actually slightly higher than the 1" lowering I had before but still lower than stock. No spacers because I rub with spacers when the car is loaded up. It's a daily driver and has to be functional.

Other than replacing the control arms with SuperPro and replacing bushings all around and adding a Unibrace & front sway bar, suspension is as good as it can get and those extra things may actually stiffen the ride up more than I'd like it to...keeping in mind this is a daily, I think this setup is perfect. For a recap we have
Rear Sway Bar (SuperPro) + Links set at their stiffest setting
B16s
18x8.5 HREs ET47
Haldex Tune allowing more torque to the rear when needed (like launching and cornering)

These carry a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser and since I know I'll continue to own this R for many years to come, I'll probably take advantage of that at some point. These being non-OEM, I'll do annual inspections of the seals for leaks and keep things greased up.

The difference between settings on DCC is noticeable. Comfort absorbs bumps & potholes nicely...zero bottoming out. Race mode can be more jarring on un-smooth roads but on smooth winding roads, the steering response feels more direct and body role, less pronounced. I'm a fan! At $4,000 meh, not worth it but at $2100 that I paid, a home run.

Due to significant rust and stuck bolts, installation took about 8 hours so $800 out of pocket. Could I have done this myself? Maybe but without air tools, I probably would have gotten stuck and had to take it to someone anyway.

Don't forget, when doing suspension work, get an alignment after. VW charged me $89 for this at a local shop.

Ready for Summer:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
Mod #12 - US Mill Works License Plate Holder

"Plate Kit Item# 10 , Kit: Lightened + Quick Release , Car: VW Golf Mk7 Golf R (2015+) WITHOUT park sensors - G1 bolt" $137.99 w/ Shipping. Installed @ home with a phillips head screw driver. took 30 minutes and would take about 5 minutes if I were to reinstall. Incredibly easy to do!

I'd recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to drill holes in their front bumper and wants to keep air flow into the intercooler free of any impedance.

This is the quick-release version so removing those two pins and you can easily slide the license right off the bracket which is great for car-wash day. It takes about 10 seconds to remove the plate.

Since this was installed in August of 2015, the 'quick release' aspect of this bracket has failed and rusted shut. I tried to buy just the mounting piece from US Mill works and see what the warranty coverage was and despite their slow 1 week turn around on emails, they do not offer replacement parts and weren't too helpful if I can share that opinion.

I've replaced the mount with this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MKVII-N...-2015-GTI-Golf-Golf-R-no-sensors/153383434731

It's inferior in the build quality for sure but maybe this will last longer. We'll see

I've updated the first post that the Millworks is out and this new unit is in.

621 - 640 of 662 Posts