VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't been to a track myself, but I was gonna ask you the same!

I'm on the same timeline as you, track day next summer. The only caveat to that is if we have a real cold winter and there is an ice track day somewhere up north on a lake.
I won't have a Golf R (S4 on order), but that sounds like a lot of fun.

I remember going to Hill Farmstead back in 2010 and it was soooo much different. It was Shaun pouring growler fills in a 4x4 "tasting area" that was just a taped off area. I usually only head up there when there's no bottle releases so I don't have to sit in line for multiple hours. I went to Treehouse in Monson MA this past weekend and that was fun and very delicious. I'm planning to bring a 750ml of Good Morning Tuesday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ian met you down on the Cape across the st at the golf club. You guys should look into COMSC and the NHMS event in October, Check motorsportsreg.com. I think my Dad and I are going up there and while its not the prettiest of tracks its challenging, pushes the car and is loads of fun especially if haven't done track event before. The instructor we had Nick was amazing! Would be fun to have a couple more R's up there and cruising around. We are pretty close on pulling a Stage 1 and DSG tune.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It was really different then! I was never that impressed with his stuff when he was at the Shed, but he really got his act together with Hill. Nothing but great things to say about it. I haven't seen the new facility yet. Was just a shed when I was there. We became friends with the owner of Blackback in Waterbury and he always had 4 or 5 Hills on draft, so no need to go anywhere else. If you're in Portland Maine, he opened a bar called the King's Head we've visited. Really good food and beer selection.

We left right when demand for Heady in the can was getting crazy. I could still usually find it at a few smaller local places around Burlington then. Probably different now.

I haven't had Lawson's since I left. Always liked it. Bringing back lots of good memories. Driving to the Warren general store to buy it, hand labeled bottles. Drove to Mad River in the winter (don't ski) because lawson had a maple porter on draft at the ski bar. My MKIV R32 was a champ for getting me around to all these places.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Mod #14.5 - Euro LED Taillights (Harness)

My LED Tail lights arrive tomorrow but I went ahead and started with the Euro Spec Harness from Deutsche Auto Parts.

Buy here

MK7 LED Tail Lights Harness Description:
This adapter harness is for the MK7 European LED Tail Lights. We have been hard at work to bring you an solution to make getting the amber turn signals working on your MK7 GTI or Golf LED tail lights. Our adapter harness requires no cutting or splicing of the wires inside your vehicle and is the perfect solution to get MK7 LED working the way you want. VagCom coding is required when using this harness.​

Photos of the Install:

Gotta start things off with a glass of Hill Farmstead Abner...playing some N.W.A. and enjoying the warm day:

Plastic Off:

Running Wires to Inner Taillights:

The install was pretty easy today. It took 2 hours because I was taking my time. The cables from DAP were very thin and could be easily broken if you're not careful. No fault of DAP's but you gotta be careful when snaking and to not break any of the plastic or clips in the car.

Their video guide was very handy:

I didn't put back on the rear plastic piece or hook up the harness so my stock lights still work to and from work tomorrow. Stoked to be installing the LEDs tomorrow!

I think I'm going to add the brighter LED reverse tail lights to my build list - http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights to complete the entire package.

Mod #14 - LED Tail lights install. I bought them here. You could buy the Chinese ones and save $400 but I wanted to go OEM. you can decide if it's worth it to you to buy VW parts.

In the last section (above), I installed the harness from Deutsche Auto Parts. Today, the LED Taillights arrived and I didn't screw this up which was pretty impressive! Everything worked the first time.

Installing the Taillights:
Outers, there's just one plastic screw you undo and you take out the lights and unhook the electrical from them which is just one clip with 3 wires seated in there. Slide the new tail lights in, screw and clip again. The inside lights are held by 2 small nuts so slightly more work but very easy. Seating these was a bit more tricky but take your time, don't break the clips and you're good.

Getting the hatch plastic back on took a bit of time but this is something you want to be patient on. You'll break plastic, or clips or you'll destroy a wire that might control your rear-wiper, lights, camera and hatch latch opener. Be very careful not to crimp any wires as you put plastic back on. Luckily, I didn't have this problem.

VCDS Coding wasn't required. the LED Tail lights work great without the harness. You can plug and play but the turn signal won't be amber and it won't be that nice clean long line. It'll be the red brake lights flashing as your turn. the harness makes enabling the turn signal much easier but you're going to need a VCDS / Ross-Tech cable with Vag-Com to enable it.

Follow this guide to complete coding. It took 30 minutes and that was with me triple-checking every change before committing it. After that, no error lights, perfect expected operation of the tail lights. I confirmed back up lights do work but I'll be swapping them out for LED lights from deAutoKey (link) very soon as they're brighter and help visibility when backing up at night.

I can't help you justify spending $899 + $239 + a $350 Vag-Com cable (if you don't own one). This mod looks great but is purely cosmetic. Worth it to you? I can't really help you decide.

Photos:

Here's a video of how this looks at night through different modes with my GoPro:

(quality should improve by midnight EST tonight)

Here's a video on how to install the taillights via DAP. It shows just how easy this is:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sick. What other beers you have on draft?

I was just in Florida and found a gem, Orchid island brewing. Their IPA s stack up with Vermont ipas and they are practically unknown.
i myself was just in Boston and had some Hoponius Union…thought it was absolutely delicious. Been dying to get some Heady Topper…i hear so much about it; that said, went to SF couple months back and had Piny the Elder -- thought it was very overrated.

Ever had Kane Head High down here in Jersey? Thats my other DD :). How would you rate it against Heady Topper?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
i myself was just in Boston and had some Hoponius Union…thought it was absolutely delicious. Been dying to get some Heady Topper…i hear so much about it; that said, went to SF couple months back and had Piny the Elder -- thought it was very overrated.

Ever had Kane Head High down here in Jersey? Thats my other DD :). How would you rate it against Heady Topper?
Pliny, Alesmith IPA, bell's 2-hearted are all beers with recipes stuck in the old ways. Great beers about 10 years ago with huge fan-bases but don't hold a candle to the 3rd wave IPAs we see today. I can't even pinpoint a single one but the juicy, cloudy, insanely dry-hopped and clean IPAs we see today at craft breweries around America are awesome and I love the world we're growing up in as beer lovers.

I've only ever had 2 Kane beers:
Kane Morning Bell
Kane A Night to End All Dawns

Both 4.0/5.0 Beers for me. Delicious! I'd love to have more of their stuff. One day.

Jack's abbey is making the best Lagers outside of Germany though. Hoponious union, hell, all of their pale ales are fantastic!

I drink a lot of beer - http://adamchandler.beer - and Jack's Abbey is really killing it in a good way.

oh, and Adam…really enjoying your thread -- thanks for sharing that other labor of love!

Thank you, sir! I'm having a lot of fun. I've been planning on buying a Golf R for exactly one year this month. I've been saving up and even buying some mods in advance. Finally being able to install them has been awesome.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mod #9 - Muddy Buddy - Trunk Liner ES#: 2818272 Link to buy

as others noted earlier, this thing for sure does not fit the MK7 Golf R at least not a good fit. I'm going to return it. Here are some photos. Installation was obviously easy...good materials but I want edge to edge fitment.

And sent it back, they are under the impression it fits Golf R and as shown in your pics, mine didn't either. So I wait.......let's see how soon before one is made, I consider it a must have.
The Muddy Buddy that is being advertised as fitting the '16 R is designed to go underneath the sub woofer / spare tire contents as a base layer. Removal of cargo tray, removal of sub woofer to place the muddy buddy??? I don't think so and promptly returned mine to Smith VW that was running the july / August accessory thread and deal.

They are sending me the carpeted VW cargo mat with cargo blocks instead, but it's not really what I wanted. I am as bummed as you are. I wanted the cargo tray / protector to be the same quality as my WeatherTech digifit floor mats, for obvious reasons = quality and carpet protection that is the best!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Mod #15 - Blue Vinyl behind VW Emblem on front (will expand to rear if I like it)

This mod brought to you by 14to9 on this thread

I ordered this on Amazon, 3M Scotchprint Series 1080 Satin Mystique Blue Vinyl Car Wrap Film Sheet Roll - 3M1080 - 1ft x 5ft (5 sq/ft) (12" x 60")

I wanted to do everything that 14to9 did which would be the diffuser / lip on the front along with the chrome plastic beside the VW logo on the grill but a few things. I wanted to first make sure this vinyl holds up and looks great and doesn't discolor. I also didn't want to break any of the clips on the grill...it's very challenging to take this thing apart and honestly, the silver goes from the grill through to the light housing and blue might look a bit weird unless I can make the inner housing trim also blue.

overall, just doing the VW was quite easy. Not difficult at all. Unclip the VW logo, trace the shape of the black backing, put everything flush with no air bubbles down and then use a small knife to cut holes in areas where the VW badge clips back on. Took about half an hour.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
No mods the last 48 hours. Getting the itch.

Today: VWR Springs + ECS Spacers
Tomorrow: Brushed Aluminum Euro MK7 Mirror Caps
Friday: Opti-Coat Pro interior and exterior

Going to a VW meet on Sunday. My first ever! Can't wait to show everything off.

Photos of everything should be up on Friday / Saturday. At that point, I have no mods on order for at least 3 weeks. Eurodyne Stage 1.5 would most likely be the next thing done followed by various engine mods as needed and saving up for Winter-Rubber.

·
Vendor
39,662 Posts
Mod #9 - Muddy Buddy - Trunk Liner ES#: 2818272 Link to buy

as others noted earlier, this thing for sure does not fit the MK7 Golf R at least not a good fit. I'm going to return it. Here are some photos. Installation was obviously easy...good materials but I want edge to edge fitment.

:pic::pic::pic:
Site has been updated, thanks for contacting us. You will be hearing back from our customer service team here shortly.

Thanks, Andy

81 - 100 of 662 Posts