VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Did you take notice to the country of origin on the LED tails? I found a pair in China that are the tinted R version, marked as being made in Poland, the seller claims they are OEM after several e-mails but I'm not too confident, especially for the price $354.

The DAP harness is nice, but I was told that the HS Tuning harness gives you the actual Euro brake lamp function (outer lights only). To me it looks safer to have all light up, but that's how they supposedly do it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Did you take notice to the country of origin on the LED tails? I found a pair in China that are the tinted R version, marked as being made in Poland, the seller claims they are OEM after several e-mails but I'm not too confident, especially for the price $354.

The DAP harness is nice, but I was told that the HS Tuning harness gives you the actual Euro brake lamp function (outer lights only). To me it looks safer to have all light up, but that's how they supposedly do it.
I did not check the country of origin. Here is the place I bought LED Tails - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2770826/ . I've heard of people saying Poland for assembly. Not every part on a VW is manufactured in Germany. Even parts of the car are assembled in Hungary. I personally would shy away from authentically LED Tails sub-$500 even used. I certainly wouldn't sell mine under that even if 2-3 years old. Have the guy send you a photo of the box and front & back of the tails and you can PM me the photos. I'm happy to help from memory.

check out the non-VW tail lights on eCS. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII_R--2.0T_Gen3/Lighting/Tail_Lights/ES2807494/ - $549 new. this has to be what he's selling for $350. Taking a 65% loss on taillights from $899 to $350 seems crazy.

Interesting remarks on harness. DAP Harness was the one I kept being told to buy and recommended in various threads. I like the tall of the LEDs light up when I brake. That seems pretty damn important. Just having outers light up just seems like a waste of LEDs. I guess go with your gut on that one. I like the setup I have. A lot of non-car people keep remarking of how good the lights look both front and back. cornering, parking, reverse and turning. "those look awesome" Non-car people never ever talk about my car. they just think I have a nicer trim VW Golf. The tail lights are head turners.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I did not check the country of origin. Here is the place I bought LED Tails - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2770826/ . I've heard of people saying Poland for assembly. Not every part on a VW is manufactured in Germany. Even parts of the car are assembled in Hungary. I personally would shy away from authentically LED Tails sub-$500 even used. I certainly wouldn't sell mine under that even if 2-3 years old. Have the guy send you a photo of the box and front & back of the tails and you can PM me the photos. I'm happy to help from memory.

check out the non-VW tail lights on eCS. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII_R--2.0T_Gen3/Lighting/Tail_Lights/ES2807494/ - $549 new. this has to be what he's selling for $350. Taking a 65% loss on taillights from $899 to $350 seems crazy.

Interesting remarks on harness. DAP Harness was the one I kept being told to buy and recommended in various threads. I like the tall of the LEDs light up when I brake. That seems pretty damn important. Just having outers light up just seems like a waste of LEDs. I guess go with your gut on that one. I like the setup I have. A lot of non-car people keep remarking of how good the lights look both front and back. cornering, parking, reverse and turning. "those look awesome" Non-car people never ever talk about my car. they just think I have a nicer trim VW Golf. The tail lights are head turners.
I know ECS, they are north of me. May have to stop in there next time I'm up in Broward.

I do not trust the seller because the price is way too low for starters and the are noted knocking off parts visually with fake markings to appear authentic.

I want the tinted ones, I know the use the Cherry ones on the GTI in the EU, but the R Euro ones just look sexy.

I miss amber turns, I just do not care for the stock tails.

Have you seen these yet, not OEM but Ford has them on the Mustang.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-...ght-For-Volkswagen-VW-Golf-6/32382258241.html

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Best of luck with the tails.

I rented a convertible mustang in July for a few days. It was sort of a cool look but in reality, I felt like a D-bag. everyone knows it's a mustang. the horse light on the ground looked like something out of vegas.

Bookmarked that link. Just not sure if the look is for me.
Yeah I know, but if they animated the horse running now...:laugh:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dunno if you bought it yet, but i snagged the 6in black lightning cable, and much like all my g/fs said to me, 6in is too short. I think 8inches would work well for a proclip but 6in doesn't give you any room.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Dunno if you bought it yet, but i snagged the 6in black lightning cable, and much like all my g/fs said to me, 6in is too short. I think 8inches would work well for a proclip but 6in doesn't give you any room.
I meant to follow up with you. 6" arrived, WAY too short (well like 2" too short) so I'm going to keep it but now I need to order a longer one. Feeling stupid but 2nd time's the charm. There aren't enough lightning cables in my life anyway so it wasn't a wasted purchase.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I meant to follow up with you. 6" arrived, WAY too short (well like 2" too short) so I'm going to keep it but now I need to order a longer one. Feeling stupid but 2nd time's the charm. There aren't enough lightning cables in my life anyway so it wasn't a wasted purchase.
It was cheap as hell too, but i completely agree that i'll find a use for it!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Mod #16

Mod #16 - OEM MK7 Euro Mirror Caps (Brushed Aluminum Look) - $239 from DAP. These came in an authentic VW/Audi box with German. I trust they are OEM. Installation took 5 minutes with a flat head screw driver.

I followed this video for the install:

Installation:
I carefully removed the mirrors, used a flat head screw driver to unhook and push the cap off the two clips holding it down. I didn't disconnect the heated cables into the mirrors. I just let them hang down..probably not a good idea. Popping the new caps in was simple but a guy still helped me who has done this a few times. Then I pushed the mirrors back on and DONE!

Aside from the price of the OEM brushed mirror caps, this mod is incredibly simple and you'll have a really nice Euro MK7 R look in under 5 minutes.

Thoughts:????

If you have the money, this is a great modification. It looks fantastic. My GF and one other girl both remarked that it looks great. They started with, "hope you're not bothered by this, but to a girl, those look great! very sexy" I like this more than carbon fiber because these look more like the Promo R we had in Euro-Spec photos.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Mod #17

Mod #17 - ECS StanceEnhance Kit (VWR Springs + Spacers) ES#: 2951394. These were $549 at the time of ordering (8/6). Now they are listed for $617 USD on 8/27. It's quite an increase and I don't think I'd pay that much but I'll leave that up to you.

Install of this was at a VW shop with 3 employees and the owner who has been working on VAG cars for 30 years (Porsche, VW, Audi) said it took him 3.5 hours to install Springs + Spacers and give it a test drive. I paid $280 for the install and an additional $89 for an alignment. Wish I was there for the install but I had work. It would have been good to photograph it. Thanks Redline Motorsport in Hartland, VT for doing such a great job!

The DAP video on install is well made though if you want to see the process:

Initial thoughts:
The car sat for a full 24 hours before I drove it off so plenty of time to settle. I drove it 50 miles tonight. At first, I was a bit uncomfortable. It drives like a completely different car. My Golf has 1100 miles on it and it felt like I was in a new vehicle completely for the first while. Then, I realized that I can push this thing a bit and I did

WHOA

I don't think Spacers are doing much here but the VWR Springs put in some work! The car is way more easy to manage when I floor it from dead stop. it takes the power so much easier without any gripes. In corners, I did a full 180 degree off-ramp at 50 MPH. I usually take on the ramp at 40 and my body is being pulled into the door frame. Nope. 50MPH, almost no body roll of the vehicle and the g-force feels cut in half. My GF who knew there were springs but doesn't know anything about cars said "you can go faster. You usually go around this turn really fast"

She had no idea i was going 10 MPH faster than normal. She didn't grab hold of the coat-hanger handle like she usually does. WIN!!!!

The car's center of gravity is lower, body roll is reduced and the power is basically absorbed nice and easy. I LOVE this mod. Easily the biggest change short of Stage 1 Tune

Before Photos of Stance & Wheel Gap (taken last week) - This is OEM:

After Photos of ECS Tuning Stance Enhance Kit, VWR Sport Springs + 17.5mm & 10.5mm Spacers:

And here is the last photo of my car with all first stage External modifications completed. Tomorrow, I take my car in for a 12-15 hour Opti-Coat Pro treatment inside and out!!!! You bet there will be some photos :) Thanks everyone for the help so far.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just want to chime in and say awesome car and awesome taste in beer! I just had the pleasure of taking a beer trip to VT this weekend and came home with some truly great beers. Made it to Hill Farmstead last Friday and maxed out on three growlers and bottles of Everett plus others. I'm drinking a Sip of Sunshine as I type.

Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
Just want to chime in and say awesome car and awesome taste in beer! I just had the pleasure of taking a beer trip to VT this weekend and came home with some truly great beers. Made it to Hill Farmstead last Friday and maxed out on three growlers and bottles of Everett plus others. I'm drinking a Sip of Sunshine as I type.

Cheers! :beer:
Whoa, Philly guy all the way up in VT!!!! I hope you had a great time. I'm right on the VT border. It's basically where I spend all of my time. great state but I also don't mind our lack of Income or Sales tax on this side of the border.

Hill Farmstead rocks and this batch of Everett is really exceptional. First time Shaun has bottled any in nearly 18 months. If you ever wanna talk VT beer, send me a PM. I write a lot about beer on my blog - http://adamchandler.beer but it's usually very curated / edited. If you're passing through Hanover NH and want to crash and have some beers, just let me know! People drop in all of the time on their way up to VT.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::wave:

Oh PS, I'm in Instagram and Untappd and Flickr. We can connect there as well and share some toasts :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
How's the comfort difference after the stance kit? Does your gf have any complaints about ride quality?
I immediately noticed in race mode that the ride is stiffer and you feel even more bumps than before. Once I picked up the GF, I put the car in Comfort mode. These springs have the advantage of working with the DCC no problem where other springs do not.

She didn't say anything about the ride until we hit the corners and then she acted very impressed. Every time we cornered, "wow, I'm not being thrown around!" so it's a win in her book. She loves when I go fast but some days "can we go slow today please?" so maybe this will alleviate this.

I've never had aftermarket springs before but I'm really impressed!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I immediately noticed in race mode that the ride is stiffer and you feel even more bumps than before. Once I picked up the GF, I put the car in Comfort mode. These springs have the advantage of working with the DCC no problem where other springs do not.

She didn't say anything about the ride until we hit the corners and then she acted very impressed. Every time we cornered, "wow, I'm not being thrown around!" so it's a win in her book. She loves when I go fast but some days "can we go slow today please?" so maybe this will alleviate this.

I've never had aftermarket springs before but I'm really impressed!
So no complaints about ride?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Looks good... at first I thought the fronts looked like too much of a pain in the DAP video... but after watching the whole thing it seems like less of a hassle than my S4, which the rears were a major pain to install (way harder than the fronts!)

I think I'll do springs after the winter and once some of you have had a chance to see if the springs negatively affect the ride quality long term. I know the springs in my S4 did.

101 - 120 of 662 Posts