VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are black mirror caps standard in the us? In europe, the silver ones are standard afaik, and we can choose to have the black ones cost free

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm going to spend the next 12+ hours in a waiting room getting Opti-Coat done. Going to be a long day but I have food + WiFi

Northeast Detailing in Hookset NH

The new additions look great! I'm loving this build thread, the only downside is it's killing me while I wait for mine to come in.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Those are the tinted tails, right? They look good:thumbup: Just wish I could find one with cherry to see the difference.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Those are the tinted tails, right? They look good:thumbup: Just wish I could find one with cherry to see the difference.
Which "Cherry". The GTI OEM spec ones from Europe, or the cherry china knockoffs which don't have any slight tinting at all?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whoa, Philly guy all the way up in VT!!!! I hope you had a great time. I'm right on the VT border. It's basically where I spend all of my time. great state but I also don't mind our lack of Income or Sales tax on this side of the border.

Hill Farmstead rocks and this batch of Everett is really exceptional. First time Shaun has bottled any in nearly 18 months. If you ever wanna talk VT beer, send me a PM. I write a lot about beer on my blog - http://adamchandler.beer but it's usually very curated / edited. If you're passing through Hanover NH and want to crash and have some beers, just let me know! People drop in all of the time on their way up to VT.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::wave:

Oh PS, I'm in Instagram and Untappd and Flickr. We can connect there as well and share some toasts :)
Hell yea man! Thanks for the offer, I'll have to let you know. I just added you on Untappd so look out for my invite (from jhenning). :wave::beer:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm going to spend the next 12+ hours in a waiting room getting Opti-Coat done. Going to be a long day but I have food + WiFi

Northeast Detailing in Hookset NH

The car looks awesome, man. I wasn't sure if I would find time to put my springs on this weekend, but your pic has me ready to get dirty and do it!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Mod #18 - Opti-Coat

Mod #18, Opti-Coat Pro Plus at Northeast Detailing in Hookset NH

On 8/28, I went 90 minutes south to the nearest Opti-Coat location. Kris, the owner and magician transitioned my car to a thing of beauty. From 7AM to 6PM, he worked diligently to get everything perfect.

90 minutes on washing / drying
4 hours of priming and paint correction
The rest was spent on outside and inside Optimum products all around

Why so long on paint correction? The hood and doors while under a black light had perfectly square brillo pad marks all over. Swirls and straight lines and even a few deep scratches on the roof. Looked like a knife went across it. "It's not the worst looking new car I've gotten" said Kris. He wasn't surprised but he also said he should have charged slightly more for the almost double priming and paint correction he thought it would take.

Here's what I paid for Opti-Coat. These prices may change depending on when you take your car in or what kind of car it is and how old it is. So don't call Northeast asking them to match this pricing. That's not really fair. I'm actually kind of reluctant to post pricing here but if people are considering this, it'll give you ball-park of what you might pay:
  • OptiCoat Pro Plus - $845 (most of exterior Plastic + metal) - includes wash dry, paint correction, priming.
  • Opti-Glass - $150
  • Wheels + calipers + tires - $100
  • Door Jams - $50
  • Opti-Guard Interior - $400 (carpet, dash, doors, + leather)

BEFORE PHOTOS and Wash:

AFTER PHOTOS, 1-2 HOURS OF CURING:

More photos are on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/albums/72157657901893185

--------

While I was there, I bought some @ home products from Kris that he had shipped to my house which was nice and I got a little discount.
Leather Protectant
Sponges, Micro towels for drying
No-Rinse
Fabric cleaning & care

So all in all, I think I paid $1600 for everything. I'll go back to kris for a silver-level detailing in the spring. This place doesn't do gold detailing package on Opti-Coat vehicles because they don't need all of the wax work done. Silver is $200 but if you did Opti-Coat with them, they take $50 off so I'll start doing my spring and fall detailing jobs here.

http://www.northeastdetailing.com/detailing.html

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
What's next:

The only thing ordered is the Foam inserts for the hatch. I'll order a Muddy Buddy from Weather tech once it fits the 2016 Golf R.

After that, a Stage 1 tune from whoever I can do it @ home. Which basically means Eurodyne but I'll try to get setup with someone else. We'll see. Beyond that, Winter tires will be next on the list and then not much will happen over the Winter. Maybe I'll go ahead and order small things like the Oil Catch Can, Diverter Valve upgrade, dog-bone and Billet oil filter holder in black. I'd like to outfit the car with better pads next year. I'll be getting a Dashcam and Radar unit over the winter, maybe considering the 8" OEM screen upgrade once I'm sure it fits the 16 Golf R without issues.

So that's it for upgrades for the next 6 months.

This build thread is only 2 weeks and 3 days old. I've done a lot so far and now the car is where I want it and things will slow down considerably.

Thanks everyone for reading. Will update again once more progress is made.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your car looks great! Love your mods!
It looks like they did an awesome job on the Opti-Coat (from what I can tell)! Did they do the wheel barrels too?

'16 Golf R 6MT DCC

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I went to my very first Volkswagen show this weekend. Volksbahn in New Hampshire! I never was involved in this community in my MK6 R and now that I'm doing mods and more posts here, i thought I'd go to a show.

In the MK7 category, there's a best wild and best mild award. I got best mild for my car! So many great cars. I took a ton of photos but wanted to share these!

Thanks everyone

121 - 140 of 662 Posts