VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some instructions on how to add the passenger side fog. We are luck that the B5 is already wired and there is no rewiring required.

Fold back the inside cover and disconnect the wiring connector. Remove the bulb housing/bracket by unclipping it from the far side of the bracket (nearest the outside of the car). Remove four 8mm nuts to remove the rear lense (careful not to drop any).

This is what the bulb housing looks like. Notice the top socket is empty. That is where the P21W (7506) bulb for the fog light will go.

This is what the back of the lense looks like. Notice the top hole has parts on the top and bottom to keep a bulb from fitting in.

Use a Dremel tool or round file to remove the obstructions. This is what it looks like afterwards.
From here, replace the lense in the car and add the bulb to the top socket. Place the bulb housing back into the lense and reconnect the connector. Test and make sure everything works.

Modified by JettaRed at 8:07 PM 5-7-2006

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (JettaRed)

Added to DIY&FAQ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (HarvVAG)

that doesnt work on mine...the bulb housing is missing the metal that touches the bottom of the bulb. tried it...

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (threethirteen)

Quote, originally posted by threethirteen »
that doesnt work on mine...the bulb housing is missing the metal that touches the bottom of the bulb. tried it...

Are you using the right bulb. I updated the write-up to specify the bulb to be a 7506 (P21W). It has a single tip instead of a double tip on the bottom of the bulb.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (JettaRed)

serious question, why do people do this? now it looks like you have brake lights that are stuck on.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (vedubya)

Quote, originally posted by vedubya »
serious question, why do people do this? now it looks like you have brake lights that are stuck on.

You mean instead of looking like you have a burned out brake light?
I have found it to be very effective in keeping people out of my butt in heavy rain.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Looks better then only 1 foglight... and so what if people think your brake lights are on, they will stay further back from you (the whole point) and will see you have 3 functioning brake lights when you actually use them... It's win win.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (Live-Wire)

rear fogs are excellent for getting people off of your *ahem*

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (hover)

I love it, they flash the brights and expect a brake check, but get a nice laser strong light in their eye! aha!

·
Registered
882 Posts

'Cause I'm tired of getting pulled over for having a light out when I'm driving with the rear fogs on.

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (magicka)

Quote, originally posted by magicka »

'Cause I'm tired of getting pulled over for having a light out when I'm driving with the rear fogs on.

What do you tell the police?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

Quote »

no... that's only the American misconception (not ment to be an insult, in case someone got offended)

·
17,317 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (magicka)

Quote, originally posted by magicka »

Do they not have a lot of european cars in UT? There are Audis and SAABs and stuff cruising all over boston and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (robbyb413)

Here in the tri-state there are huge amounts of european cars and I still hear of plenty getting hassled with either you having a brake light out or brake lights stuck on (like the Land Rovers and Jags), so I went and met half way by putting a park lamp bulb in the passenger rear fog socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (s216v)

quick question: I had no idea that the passenger side didn't have the fog light, and of course a friend followed me home the other day to tell me that my "brake light was out" I have spent the last few days struggling to get my passenger tail light assembly to work...
does the metal on the top of the assembly complete a circuit or something??? i can't seem to get my parking light/running light to operate under normal conditions...
did i actually need to mess with my light, or will it work if i just leave the top hole empty and replace the assembly back to its original position???

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (wheelax2)

wow i didnt even know i had a rear fog. lol my car didnt have front fogs when i got it so i never bothered even touching the buttons, but i was always wondering why there was 2. well thanks guys im a knob http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Re: Adding a Passenger Side Rear Fog (ymracinginc)

Quote, originally posted by wheelax2 »

did i actually need to mess with my light, or will it work if i just leave the top hole empty and replace the assembly back to its original position???

You dont need to put in a bulb, its a European thing. I was told they put them on whatever side the driver is on so if you came up on someone fast you could tell exactly where the car was. If there is another answer then please, speak up.
Quote, originally posted by ymracinginc »
knob http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

noob?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts