VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 98 Jetta GL for my work commute and I love it! But one thing it lacks is cruise control, i was wondering what would I all need to acquire to add that option, because my foot tends to be on the heavy side and I'd rather spend the money on making the car better than paying speeding tickets and such...
Thanks,
Willie

· Registered
3,438 Posts
pretty sure you'll need obviously the cruise unit, then you'll need a different blinker stalk, then the vaccum line for the pedal to the throttle body. check the classified's oberl_fl was selling some of the parts awhile ago. good luck i just use a brick for mine :D

· Registered
843 Posts
no, you don't need an ecu. all these cars have cruise control built in; they don't work but they do have them. the cruise control module usually dies and you have to replace it. there is one website that sells rebuilt ones and you give them yours in trade. costs about $100 i think.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Mk3's that don't have cruise do not have the subcomponents for it. Only the mk4 cars have it inherently built in.

I added it on my car. I lifted an the cruise control subsystem from a junkyard car. It exists as a subsystem and it is pretty much plug and play. You will need to rip apart the entire dash to remove it and to install it into your car. I was doing an evaporator core so I had the dash removed and it was the perfect time to add it on. :p I would not do it if you are not determined or mechanically inclined. I had to deal with a dead control module, vacuum testing all the vacuum lines and sourcing troublesome and missing parts.

You can also add this.....
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Ultracruise-250-1316-Electronic-Control/dp/B001UT0CXA

It is not as clean, but a lot easier to install.

· Registered
13,748 Posts
I don't think that adding the factory cruise control is that big a deal.

Yeah, it's a lot easier if you have a car with cruise installed to use as an example, and it's best if you try to get all of the parts from a single donor car. But it's easily doable, even if you don't

The cruise control components are a separate system that can easily be isolated and removed from a donor car.

Start under the hood by removing the windshield washer tank. The vacuum pump for the cruise control is bolted to a bracket behind the washer tank. Mkae sure that you take the vacuum pump mounting bracket when you take the pump. You may need to separate the pump from the bracket temporarily to get the pump and the bracket off and out from the inner fender.

From there, follow the hoses and wires back to the firewall and into the passenger compartment taking the parts attached to the cruise control as you go along. There are switches, hoses, and wires connected to all three pedals (clutch, brake, and accellerator), as well as a servo motor and mounting bracket attached to the accellerator pedal. As already noted you will need to remove the steering column shroud to remove the turnsignal stalk (which has the controls for the cruise control), and the cruise control box which is attached to the same mounting bracket as the alarm module up behind the headlight switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.