VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I have a 66 bug, with the original tracks and seats. I was wondering how I could add a headrest to the seats (front seats). Could I pick up a top (back) of a later model beetle and just change the top, and keep the old bottom? I do not wanna put in new tracks. Thanx. VS OUT.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Re: Adding Headrests (DIBRIDER)

you should be able to use the seats from a 68 or 69, i'm not sure when they switched the tracks but i know 72 seat tracks are different. switching the backs ou whould do it too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Adding Headrests (11secBug)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wait wait... those low back seats are PHAT! Don't lose those![HR][/HR]​
HAHA
...I want some more comfort when driving... VS OUT

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

The seat rails are the same up to late 1972, so you can put in later highbacks of you want to.
And the 73-up crew can put in Rabbit or maybe Golf seats.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: Adding Headrests (PerL)

Think about it.. with those lowback seats.. you get less blind spots.. and it's hellva easy to rest your arm on the passenger seat... or there may be a girl there, eh? For you to hold her....eh? Hey you guys.. get a lady friend, dammit

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Re: Adding Headrests (PerL)

quote:[HR][/HR]And the 73-up crew can put in Rabbit or maybe Golf seats.[HR][/HR]​
not directly, i'm trying to put golf seats in mine and the rear legs are too far apart. i'll be able to modify them to work though. unfortunately i need to put the original tracks back in. we put 72 style seats in it awhile back, i need to weld the front mounts in and find some rear tracks.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]and I still say.... LOWBACK SEATS ARE PHAT![HR][/HR]​
maybe since it's his car and he doesn't like them he'll be nice and let you have them once he removes them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Yea! I could always use an extra set of those low back seats... how much are you asking for them?[HR][/HR]​
I still have to find seats and the money to upholster them to match my present upholstery...I will be sure to inform you when I am selling them, if you give me your e-mail...At least I will know they are going to a good home.
VS OUT.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

you could always call scat up and see if they have any mismatched seats with some flaws such as rips and tears in them and buy them at a bargain price sicne you are getting them recovered anyway. they will fit nicer and give you a better bolster and lumbar support than stock high backs ever will.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Adding Headrests (pkagel)

quote:[HR][/HR]you could always call scat up and see if they have any mismatched seats with some flaws such as rips and tears in them and buy them at a bargain price sicne you are getting them recovered anyway. they will fit nicer and give you a better bolster and lumbar support than stock high backs ever will.[HR][/HR]​
Scat sell seats?....what kinda seats?...where do I see these seats? They are not stock?
Thanx. VS OUT.

·
Registered
224 Posts

DIB,
You don't wanna seperate your seat bottoms from your seat backs because you have a unique seat with a 2-year-only seat-back release.

Any model year Beetle seat up to '72 will swap in place as the floor pan rails are the same. It would be easier and less brutal to your original seats to just replace the whole thing, though, why you wanna do that is still baffling to me.

An alternative may be an old-school accessory - clip-on head rests which were kinda simple things that just slid-down over the seat back - no mechanical involvement.
I'd offer to help you with this swap, but shipping seats is costly and you appear to be on the left coast.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

scat has made seats for year, they are in any hot vw's mag and are quite comfortable. they have boltsters and lumbar on some and quite a few levels of trim.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

I have Scat seats in my bug right now. They're comfy and seats low. Mine's Pro Scat seats I think?? has headrests but they're too low to use the headrest IMO. I'm considering letting them go since they won't match my theme of the car when finished.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: Adding Headrests (VWUberAlles)

quote:[HR][/HR]And the 73-up crew can put in Rabbit or maybe Golf seats.
not directly, i'm trying to put golf seats in mine and the rear legs are too far apart. i'll be able to modify them to work though. unfortunately i need to put the original tracks back in. we put 72 style seats in it awhile back, i need to weld the front mounts in and find some rear tracks. [HR][/HR]​
Ok, I have 76 Golf seats in my 73 Square, and all I had to do was use a BFH to widen the rear legs about 1" further apart. When that was done, they slide in like they were meant to be there. I also got covers from TMI to match the original dark blue interior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I called scat, and they did not have any mismatched or ripped seats, that I can buy for a bargain price
Now I am thinking of going with aftermarket seats like procar or beard seats...we will see...Sorry wrenchmonkey, I am not ready to swap yet...I need to do some more research...VS OUT.

·
Registered
224 Posts

No problem DIB,
I'm happy to see you are looking into replacement seat alternatives instead of altering your original $eats if you know what I mean? They may help you fund some fancy aftermarket alternatives

1 - 20 of 20 Posts