VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cluster lights burned out and i thought i would modify the center LED cluster to display information such as my front fogs being on, and a second one for the future rear fogs and driving lights.
Has anyone out there got pics of cool cluster mods like this?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: Adding more LEDs to the MK2 cluster - Fogs - Driving Lights - Separate L and R t ... (VDub2625)

I recently had mine apart:

adding the extra LEDs would be easy to do, as there is room for them in the cluster.
...you would have to run wiring out through the back, and make some kind of little harness (6 pin molex) though.
You could take the signal for the L and R signals from the back of the relay panel probably..
it might take some experimentation.. but I dont think it would be too hard.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: Adding more LEDs to the MK2 cluster - Fogs - Driving Lights - S ... (fiorya)

yeah.. i felt bad the first time i read it and didnt respond.
I've thought about it a bit.. but decided it wasn't worth my trouble.
I think in the near future, I want to change my clock to red, then all the dash switches, as I've already put blue LEDs in to spotlight the cluster
bad pic from same photoset:

and another for fun:

oh.. then I had some weird Reese knockoff peanut butter cup, leftover from HALLOWEEN!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Re: Adding more LEDs to the MK2 cluster - Fogs - Driving Lights - S ... (lyledriver)

I've got a bunch of the lttle LED's if you wanna try this... It really wouldn't be that hard since the black plastic fillers pop right off and a real bulb could be installed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: Adding more LEDs to the MK2 cluster - Fogs - Driving Lights - S ... (Golf-RSi)

I agree that this shouldn't be hard. Just replace the black jobbies in the cluster with real LED's (color and brightness) of your choice.
Run a wire from the ground lead of each LED to common ground. Run the + lead of each LED to somethin that gets power when you want the LED to light up (say to the right turnsignl to indicate when your right turn signal's on). Make sure you use a resistor of the correct value inline (series) with the LED.
I know this is a crappy and vague writeup, but if you want more details IM, or email me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts