VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only did the fronts today before it got to cold and dark. I'll do the rears on the next go around. I got the complete set from Bold-Sport.com but if you miss the deal, here are the part numbers for what you'll need.

1K0 947 411 A - Warning Light (One Per Door)
1J0 971 972 - Connector Housing for Warning Light (One Per Door)
000 979 131 E - Repair Wire (One per light / Two for the Rear Doors Controllers)
000 979 009 E - Repair Wire (Two for the Front Door Controllers)

Start by pulling the door panel. Unplug the connector from the control module.

_MG_0960 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Cut off the zip tie and slide the housing off the connector. To wire the lights, connect the hot wire to pin 18 on the door and pin 2 on the puddle light; the ground is pin 19 on the controller and pin 1 on the light.

_MG_0961 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Reassemble, run on bit 6 on the last byte on the door controller with VCDS, and test.

_MG_0962 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Added to the DIY/FAQ thread.

If only we had an AFS retrofit DIY in there as well... :p

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As promised, rear doors. Take apart the doors, and pop the connector off the control module using a flat head screwdriver.

_MG_0967 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Use a flat head screwdriver to pull the locking tab out.

_MG_0968 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Pin 14 is the hot connection, and goes to pin 2 on the light connector. Pin 4 is the ground, and goes to pin 1 on the light connector.

_MG_0969 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Don't forget to push the locking tab back in. Reassemble the door. Coding is done in the module for the front doors. Use the drop down to change the module to be coded before opening the long coding helper. Turn on bit 6 of the last byte. That's all.

_MG_0972 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Since there was some controversy as to how much they illuminate, here's a shot with the front and rear doors open on one side.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Since there was some controversy as to how much they illuminate, here's a shot with the front and rear doors open on one side.
Controversy, really??? Man, these things really help out......

Mine:

Rear door (inside garage this evening, garage light on):

Front door, in the dark:

Rear door, in the dark:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Added these lights to my car, but am having difficulty getting them to turn on in the rear.

I tried the drop down like toeBall suggested,and activated byte 6 in the LCH, but still no go. It seems like sometime VCDS wants to show a controller for the individual rear doors, but when I select it it says "no response from controller"

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure this is a coding issue as Im not getting 12v on the pins.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's in the drop down that you used for the font doors. I can't remember what it is with out looking at the program.

It's a second coding section you open up. I went through this for a couple hours when I did mine. You can try and fiddle around wi it this way. Or maybe some one with a better memory then mine can remember.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On the driver side control module, there was an additional selection on the drop down. Tried that... No dice (left it enabled).

I looked on the passenger side module, but there is no drop down that I could find. Double checked the wiring, and it looks good. So it's got to be something simple in VCDS that I'm missing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bumping for the Monday crowd.

Fiddled around with VCDS all day Saturday and a little bit yesterday and could not see where to enable this for the rear doors.

Just to recap:

On the Driver Door electrics, I enabled bit 6 via the LCH. Front door lights up. There is also a drop-down you can select before entering the LCH (not sure what it really does), so I enabled bit 6 here too via the LCH which I believe is what ToeBall was referring to.

On the Passenger side, I enabled bit 6 via the LCH. Front passenger door lights up. There is no drop down for the passenger side control module.

I did check to make sure the lights are not burned out - they all work when I try them in the front doors.

Silly question, maybe... ToeBall has a 2010. Mine's a 2011. Would that affect things, maybe? I didn't think there were any appreciable differences between the two years. Any other thoughts?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts