VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
search is your friend
Quote, originally posted by tadr_94jetta »
i just did mine as well... the refrigerant was so low that the pressure switch didn't even trigger the compressor.
Soo... I forced the compressor on (there is a harness hooked to the receiver dryer in front of the passenger side wheel under the car, short pins 1 and 2). Then I pumped 134A into the low side line on the passenger side near the firewall. All you need to do is get a couple of cans form the auto parts store and the valve/hose. Stay away from the aerosol quick cool cans, they leak something terrible.
A big note of caution however. Doing it this way does NOT ensure that you get the exact correct pressure. Maybe buying a gauge would solve this.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Re: (vsynchronisieren)

since your fittings are the same, you are probably running r12 not r134a(the new fittings with different sizes) You cannot buy r12 anymore without paying an arm and a leg so everyone is updating their r12 systems to r134a, which is not a big deal. There are a few problems however:
-r134a runs at a higher pressure and the molecules/atoms are smaller, meaning it leaks out easier. You should replace your o-rings to prevent this.
-you don't know which side is your low side, g'luck with that. I'd have to look at your car to be able to tell and then I still wouldn't even be sure. Point is, it's different on every model, and most mk3s are already running 134a.
-you need to replace your fittings (you can buy a kit for about $20, includes o-rings)
Once you do this, you do as the quoted poster above says.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Re: (MerryBerry)

Quote, originally posted by MerryBerry »
He's got a 97 Jetta, not an 88.
R-134a is what he has

He could have had a '93, which may possibly still have the fittings for r12. '97 certainly has r134a, but in that case, his fittings are NOT the same size. Point your rant elsewhere

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like they said above, if you have r-134, then the 2 fittings would be different sizes. if they are, it shouldnt be too hard to hook it up. If they are not, then i dunno, cause my '97 is r-134 lol. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.