VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i have a 2013 base golf without steering wheel controls as shown.

I have recently purchased a wheel and airbag in this style

am i able to install this without issues? i currently have mfi controls on my wiper blade that i am able to control the volume with along with other settings.

will i need a different clockspring or modules for this to work?

I also do have obdeleven so i can code if need be.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's States it fits my car, but since I don't have controls on my wheel now I'm wondering what all needs to be changed

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need a different clock spring /control module and new wiper stock to make a full multi function transition. You also have to have a VAG tool to turn it all on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info I do have obdeleven so coding isn't a problem. Are you referring to the smaller black box under the steering column for the control module? Have you done this before? I can't seem to find any write ups or videos online.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when searching for the clock spring on ebay some come with the wiper stalk with mf stalk so i assume since i have that already my clock spring should be fine i would just need to downgrade the wiper stalk? :banghead: so confused with these parts lol, currently i'm thinking i just need the mf wheel and downgraded wiper stalk and i should be good with the parts needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i'm looking at the coding needed to add the new controls and deactivate the wiper stalk controls. Can anyone help me translate what any of these parts are ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update: i wrapped up this project this weekend. the install was really easy, took about an hour. everything is working great the only issue i have is the wheel rubs the upper trim piece around the column. i guess i tightened the wheel down too much? i'm assuming the wheel and steering column is some type of compression fitting. because when i took it off and tried it again it is in the same spot.
Not a big deal i can just sand a little of the top lip off the trim and you will never see it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats great news. Good job, so what all did you end up having to install to make it work in case i choose to do this in the future. The more specific the better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what i researched it matters what year the build date is, anything above 2010.5.29 this will work.
I have a 2013 so it has the newer configuration, with trip and mfi controls on wiper stalk.

Parts needed is:
5K0 953 513 M - downgraded wiper stalk
5K0 953 549 B - clockspring
steering wheel of your choice with controls and new airbag if it is a different style. (make sure the airbag harness has the multi-function plug)

Coding was really simple i used OBDEleven and in steering module i just uninstalled mfi controls on wiper and installed mfsw 2.0LAN.

Job is really quite simple, like i said took about an hour maybe less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is a 2013 GTI so similar Im sure with regards to the wiper stock and clockspring. Thanks again
Yes then I'm sure it's the same, I think on gti wheels you can add the buttons to the wheel without buying a different wheel..... Could be wrong with that though. Then you would need the buttons and module inside the wheel, and different airbag harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts