VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, some of you may or may not have heard of the SEAT Drivers Club.
As a Committee member, and prspective Skoda owner I have asked the rest of the commitee if inclusion of Skodas into the club (and hence a name change) would be possible.
At present we have put a poll out to club members to ask if they would mind Skodas to be included in the club, but we also need to know if Skoda owners would like it too.
SDC organise about 3 track days a year, the first one this year being at Bruntingthorpe last month. We also attent shows such as GTi International and TRAX, as well as friendly local meets etc.
So, what do you think??

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (TDi150)

Hmmm........
I think we should definately keep strong links between the two, combined meets etc, but not sure if we should *join* as such. This group here on VWvortex have discussed joining forces with the Skoda club also, but personally, I think we should let it grow and try to keep independent, then when large enough perhaps decide to form a seperate club.
We all seem to be Octavia owners, but don't want to exclude any poss fabia owners joining up, maybe an "enthusiastic skoda drivers club" name or similar.
Guys (and Lou, yes you are still the lone female) what are your thoughts on this, we seem to be growing ranks by the day, should we wait and set up our own or join forces with another club?
C'mon, contribute

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (Tavia4x4)

I agree pretty much wholeheartedly with what Ian has said and, as such, don't have much else to add.
My personal view is that strong links be maintained if possible, but in an ideal world, I would like to see a club germinate and sprout up from what we have going on here.
Just by looking at the Silverstone participation ( myself sadly not included
) , it can only give one strong grounds to think we would be able to set up on our own, eventually.
Just my tuppence worth...........anyone else?

[Modified by Huck_B, 12:15 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (Huck_B)

Yep,
I'd agree with everything Ian says. While links are nice, I think a combined group might lose it's way. (Satnav, anyone?) A separate sporting group might be good later. It could always be called "The Rapid Octavians"! I thought about "the VAG club", but it sounds sort of gynaecological!)

·
Registered
175 Posts

The Devil's Advocate argument, however, could be:
"Why not join an already established club in which you will have a say and , I assume, will have a name change if Skoda are incorporated into it. It has established events and meets and be able to do things on a bigger scale than what the owners here can do at present. Could you Skoda lot here on Vortex be accused of being a little bit cosy here and just a little bit cliquey?"

(The views expressed above are not necessarily the author's etc etc! In fact, they're categorically not the author's ! )

[Modified by Huck_B, 12:37 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (Philc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I thought about "the VAG club", but it sounds sort of gynaecological!)
[HR][/HR]​
ROFLMAO Philc!! Very funny!
Appeals very much to my schoolboy humour!

·
Registered
588 Posts

Damn, I can only post short replies! So I'll keep editing it!
Firstly, I agree with Ian, well sort of. It would be nice to have our own little club, but when I write it like that it fits nicely with the devils advocate position! Confused? Yep so am I!

I am all for stronger ties with clubs, but in a way I want to find one that fits with me, not the other way around. Some examples, if I may:
1. I go to social meets with the Subaru guys off scoobynet, like the one this Sunday (blatant plug
) and I go to their driving meets, because they are fun.
2. I am going to Silverstone this year with you lot, 'cos it sounds like fun.
3. I will go on as many of the SEAT trackdays as I can (and if they'll let me!) because the people are OK (for SEAT drivers!
) and the events are good value for money.
4. I go to the Nurburgring every 6-8 weeks to blat it round a track to get all the pent up speed out of my system.
Basically I love driving and cars and will get my fix where I can. IMO "we" are not yet ready for a club of our own and don't forget that there is already a Skoda club of GB which does have lots of events of varying descriptions.

[Modified by TaviaRS, 5:38 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
588 Posts

to continue from above 'cos I can't post long replies (damn technology)...
Maybe they need either an Octavia chapter or a Drivers section for those who are mainly inetersted in either trackdays or cross country drives.
As to the name, VAG club sound OK
, just as well we aren't In North America tho'

So what am I trying to say? Basically I will continue to do my own thing and take my pleasures(fnar fnar) where and when I can get them. If that means going out to play with Skoda, SEAT, Audi, Scooby people, who cares - I get what I want.

[Modified by TaviaRS, 5:50 PM 4-4-2002]

[Modified by TaviaRS, 5:51 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (impact)

I can see your points in terms of wanting a seperate club, but as was also said you would be joining an asablished club. If we welcomed Skodas (whether it be Octavias, Fabias or even Rapids) we would have a name change to the club, and Skoda owners would have the same rights....i.e, become one big family. It has been suggested by SEAT owners that SDC (Seat drivers club) could be kept, and depending on weather you have a SEAT or Skoda you can change the first word....i.e, Seat Drivers Club / Skoda Drivers Club.
This was a thought that we (as the SEAT Drivers Club) had, and decided to put the feelers out to both current SDC members and Skoda owners.
My reason for thinking was that apart from the SKoda Owners club there doesn't seem to be much for Skoda owners, especially when it comes to track days and performance car shows.
Starting a club isn't that easy, there are guide lines and laws, and if I get an RS (and keep the Leon) I'd rather stay in one club as I am already a member of 6 car clubs

As I say, we were only putting the feelers out, which has brought back quite a surprise.
Out of 29 votes on SEATcupra.net, 62% said YES, good idea / 20% NO, not good idea & 18% said don't know.....
So, is the general opinion that you would probably not join a joint club??

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (TaviaRS)

Jon, going to whoever makes you happy - you are indeed a car club tart

I'll start a new poll and we can all vote (once
) and see how we feel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Addition of Skoda's in SEAT Drivers Club?? (TaviaRS)

Diesel..??? thats my strongest weppon....I smoke people out so they can't keep up...

Std Leon Cupras are no quicker between 30 - 110mph.....I loose out top end..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.