VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Adieu or Au Revoir? Stellantis officially says Peugeot is not coming to US...'

• I have another way this could work out for Peugeot...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adieu is used when you are leaving someone for a LONG time and if you are unsure when you might see that person again. But Au revoir is used when you leave someone that you might probably see again and soon.

What does TCL think? Are we ever gonna see sexy Peugeot cars on American streets?

Stellantis confirmed that Peugeot's return to America is off the table with the appointment of Larry Dominique to the role of senior vice president of Alfa Romeo brand for North America. Dominique was heading up PSA's efforts to revive the Peugeot brand stateside, and this new assignment signals Stellantis' intent to focus on growing Alfa's presence here.

While this is the first official confirmation that Peugeot's American return was off the table, the announcement was almost universally expected. It was confirmed early Monday by Automotive News after the announcement of Dominique's new role; how he intends to steer Alfa's U.S. arm remains to be seen.

What was already good news for Chrysler is now buoying Alfa Romeo's future prospects here. While Alfas have been on sale in the U.S. since 2008, then-FCA didn't put its full weight behind a volume effort until 2017, ahead of the launch of the Giulia sedan, which was well-received by critics (ourselves included) but fell flat. The subsequent launch of the Stelvio indicated that even America's appetite for crossovers may not be enough to keep the Italian brand afloat.

This is good news for Alfa fans at a time where such tidings are few and far between. Despite the brand's relatively flat performance in a roller coaster 2020, prospects for the brand's future here have appeared bleak. Dominique's appointment means that Stellantis is committed to Alfa in the the short term, if nothing else — at least more so than it is committed to Peugeot's revival — and for now, that will have to be enough.
Autoblog

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
I disagreed with Stellantis cancelling Dakota (they will regret it) but cancelling Peugeot for North America is an easy decision. Much better to sell rebadged Opel or Peugeot as Chrysler here.

Things are going pretty much as we thought... former PSA brands are not coming to the US and Fiat will continue to shrink in favor of Jeep and Opel in Europe.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
8,412 Posts
that's too bad; i'd like to see more diversity in the low- to mid-range compact hatch and midsize sedan offerings. I like Peugeot styling.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,951 Posts
How many low volume brands can Stellantis sell over here? If Fiat didn't work out, I don't see it working for Peugeot. Alfa has what, 2 vehicles they sell in the US? Adding Peugeot would just be another problem child in the US, IMO. Not a surprise and a seemingly solid business move.

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
The real enthusiasts will shriek from being deprived of the "opportunity" to buy a manual diesel 5008

But the sun will come up tomorrow

Reactions: definium 8k

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I am totally okay with this. Peugeot would have been a total build-from-scratch and has no brand identity here in the US. Aside from being French, what would Peugeot bring, exactly?

Alfa has much more value as an enthusiast brand, a rich history, and appealing cars. That they are doubling down at a critical point in Alfa's history is encouraging because Alfa is starting to grow stale again. They need another product - the Tonale and perhaps another small coupe/sedan based that architecture (or a scaled down Giorgio architecture). And they also need a specialty product - not a sports car, but some sort of halo model that can spawn numerous variants.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
We're going to see Peugeot vehicles here but they'll be CUV's wearing the Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep brand. A Jeep CUV based on the Peugeot 208 is rumored to be coming to slot under the Renegade.

I'd love a 508 wagon but that ain't happening.

·
Registered
48,543 Posts
We're going to see Peugeot vehicles here but they'll be CUV's wearing the Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep brand. A Jeep CUV based on the Peugeot 208 is rumored to be coming to slot under the Renegade.

I'd love a 508 wagon but that ain't happening.
I'd say that's the most likely scenario, but a sedan just miiiiight squeak in, too. Probably not, but it could. I'd like to see at least one mid-sized American sedan keep the torch lit. Well, "American" might have to be in quotation marks, but you get the idea.

Those are some handsome designs and if they're electric then federalization would be pretty simple, as they'd only need DOT compliant lights (which is mostly a software change nowadays) and some crash testing.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,476 Posts
It's a little bit of a bummer. I had a nice Peugeot 2008 (yes, manual diesel) little crossover runabout as my rental in Germany a couple years ago. It was good looking, had a smart and attractive interior, and well...it was manual and diesel.

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
It was going to be a waste of time anyways, there was no need for them here and now even less so with the newly formed Stellantis. Hopefully this means better product for the underutilized American brands over time.

I disagreed with Stellantis cancelling Dakota (they will regret it) but cancelling Peugeot for North America is an easy decision. Much better to sell rebadged Opel or Peugeot as Chrysler here.

Things are going pretty much as we thought... former PSA brands are not coming to the US and Fiat will continue to shrink in favor of Jeep and Opel in Europe.
The Dakota in it's "based on the Gladiator" form was canceled, not a global mid size pickup for Stellantis. This is one project I think we'll see a get a second wind later.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.