VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have an issue with a MK1 golf and would like to install stiffer springs and try to keep as much height as possible (low sump).
Does anyone out there sell adjustabble top mounts with a spacer of some sort (like rally cars use) to keep the car at a decent height and yet provide a little more stiffness in the springs.
I'd like to see if many people have done this. I don't really want to cut the strut towers and lower them as my towers are in perfect condition and I have enough welding and filling to do already.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Shawn B)

OK
let me explain this a little better.
1. I want adjustable top mounts so I can adjust camber.
2. Ideally I'd like coilovers but as you all know they lower the car even at their highest setting.
3. I need as much height as possible due to a very low sump.
4. I need the stiffness of the coilovers/Spring-shock combo to stop the sump banging of the ground on bad roads.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Re: (Bazmcc)

Quote, originally posted by Bazmcc »
OK
let me explain this a little better.
1. I want adjustable top mounts so I can adjust camber.

That means camber plates, which most if not all require at least drilling some holes in the strut tower to install. The exception that I know of were the OPM autosports ones, but they're no longer made. Ground Control has a camber kit that I believe requires 4 bolts. My kit came from Shine Racing, and required 7 bolts per side. I would not recommend the Shine bolt-in kit personally, and where I to do it again I'd go for either weld in or some other kit, perhaps the Ground Control.

2. Ideally I'd like coilovers but as you all know they lower the car even at their highest setting.

Only if you buy complete coilover kits, but those are IMO generally more for show than go. If you buy a sleeve/spring combo you can set the ride height where ever you want, including at or above stock height.

3. I need as much height as possible due to a very low sump.

Don't use lowering coilover kits and you'll have plenty of clearance.

4. I need the stiffness of the coilovers/Spring-shock combo to stop the sump banging of the ground on bad roads.

Make sure you ge shocks matched or capable of handling the springs you plan on running. The nice thing with coilovers is you can pick what stiffness spring you want.
- Fab

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (ftillier)

Thanks
Gives me a better idea of what I need. I just noticed every time I tried to find the adjustable plates that they were pretty hard to find. There is however a pretty good engineering place nearby. Maybe it'd be a good idea to design my own and have them made from stainless steel. Probably work out cheaper as well.
Do you have any pics of the shine kit?
I'd like to get an idea of the way it fits and the shape of it.
Drilling holes to bolt them on doesn't bother me but I'm trying to stay away from the idea of having to do more welding and it would also be a pain to get lined up correctly as well.
Cheers
Baz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts