VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "Puma" style adjustable front beam on my 64 Bug. I was wondering if it would be possible to make some sort of adjustment to the settings of the two adjusters to make the front end stiffer?
Right now the car is pretty low, and has very little suspension travel before it hits the stock bump stop rubbers. I want to make it stiffer so it wont hit the bump stops that quickly. I actually also want to drop the front end another inch or so, making stiffer spring rate even more beneficial. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (PerL)

The lower you go, the stiffer it'll get. You can run stiffer shocks too.

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (nicnaor)

Will it really get stiffer? You just change the initial setting at the center of the beam. I was thinking of moving the adjusters opposite of eachother, to make it stiffer than it is. The shocks are gas shocks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (PerL)

I hear from a few (volksrod) people that if you go low enough, it's stiff enough that you don't need shocks anymore. Kind of like taking a rubber band, the more you wind it up, the stiffer it'll get.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (nicnaor)

if you wanna go lower go with opel kaddet shocks and droped spindles , very stiff ,

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (61sktnbug)

with any lowered link-pin front end, you should cut off the bump stops from the beam. they ain't necessary anymore. if you cant bare to cut the metal arm off that the bump stops are installed on, then you can at least slide off the rubber bumper intself. but on all adjustable link-pin beam i have installed, i have cut off the metal arm that holds the rubber bumpers, from the beam.
that being said, you can easily lower another inch, and you can add drop spindles later to regain a little bit of suspension geometry.
whenever you install adjusters, if you dont have the spring packs at the same angles as one another, they you have changed the spring rate, or at least the spring rates are the same for each spring, but one spring is doing more work than the other. this is why drop spindles with stock beam rides so much better than an adjustable beam set to lower 2.5 inchs.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nicnaor »
I hear from a few (volksrod) people that if you go low enough, it's stiff enough that you don't need shocks anymore. Kind of like taking a rubber band, the more you wind it up, the stiffer it'll get.

Right, my 58 is running a 4" narrowed beam with no shocks and it rides pretty good!

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Re: Adjusting the spring rate on an adjustable front beam, is it possible? (oldskool industries)

If you have a single adjuster, then the lower you go, the stiffer it gets.
If you have two adjusters, then you have to turn them against each other to make the rate stiffer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts