VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I helped a friend clean out his garage over the weekend. By that, I mean i took 4 boxes of supercharger parts he had stored for a project that never came to be. It looks to be two basic setups, a M45 based BRP package and a MP62 based FFS coldside package. Most of the FFS parts are there, some key parts of the BRP kit are missing plus, I have a MP62, not a M45. Plan now is to see if I can get this kit working with minimal investment. The hard part is finding the energy to do all this.

For those that aren't familiar with FFS, they have a MP62 (now TVS900) kit that bolts in place of the intake manifold. The kit uses an extra injector (or two) to cool the charge down using "power cards". I'm going to forgo all that since I'm running Megasquirt, will need to use water / meth injection to cool the charge down since there's no intercooler. This could mean disaster for the motor, or it could mean lots of giggles. Time will tell.

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

·
Registered
37,212 Posts
I'm no supercharging expert, but for any given power level, the MP62 be more efficient than the M45, correct? In other words, like to make 180whp you might only need 6psi on the larger blower versus 7-8psi from the smaller blower due to their efficiency curves or something? It's been over a decade since I've owned a Miata now and I haven't had to read or think about superchargers since then. But anyway, if you're targeting a specific power level rather than a specific boost level, that helps lessen the load on your water/meth injection system, doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm no supercharging expert, but for any given power level, the MP62 be more efficient than the M45, correct? In other words, like to make 180whp you might only need 6psi on the larger blower versus 7-8psi from the smaller blower due to their efficiency curves or something? It's been over a decade since I've owned a Miata now and I haven't had to read or think about superchargers since then. But anyway, if you're targeting a specific power level rather than a specific boost level, that helps lessen the load on your water/meth injection system, doesn't it?
Yes and you're on to something. Running 7 PSI would be fine without the WI but i'd need to buy a different pulley. Might be worth going that direction first and if it works, upgrade to WI and the smaller pulley I already have.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
One of the reasons why I can't let go of this car is the open air driving. As a kid I used to beg my father to put the top down in the Olds. Even know the drive to school was less than a mile, it was so enjoyable to feel the fresh air, see the sky, it really made that drive more memorable. The Miata does that for me, too. Every time I try to convince myself I'd be better off in a BRZ, I can't get over not having a convertible. So, with the weather being a bit cooler today, it was time to stop delaying driving the ****box to work. I have a 42 mile one-way commute up a 3 lane, mostly 65 mph highway. Some mornings traffic can be heavy but on a random Friday in August, it's fairly light.

What a drive it was!

I forgot how much I loved this car. When it works, it just plain old works. Coolant and oil temps, oil pressure, AFRs were all right where they needed to be. There was no weird noises or rattles. It ate up 40 miles hovering around 4000 rpms all the way. We had a couple stints into triple digits "for tuning purposes" and I'm also happy to report the headlights no longer open at 100.

My last post was about supercharging the car. I will say, I do miss the power but, not all of it. Merging was a bit tough this morning, took more planning that I was used to, at highway speeds though, passing isn't much of an issue.

Some random pictures from this morning:

Wonderfully dirty windshield:

Did some auto-tune on the way in, the green and yellow cells show what cells were considered during tuning, the darker the green the more times the program processed that particular rpm vs. manifold pressure combo. The blue and red cells show the adjustments being made.

That "look back" moment, in the deli getting some pork roll while the car fills up with a whopping 7 gallons of gas:

And as it sits at work right now:

121 - 127 of 127 Posts