VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have a 2004 Passat 1.8t with 170k miles on it. It has a full service history and had the timing belt changed 3 years ago @ 150k miles.

I have an oppotunity of getting it chip tuned. I guess it will get about 200 hp.

The car is bone stock. It has no issues. No surging or stuttering. No visible exhaust gas. Mileage is good.

Is there anything i should be aware if, before chip tuning it? Anything i should definately get checked beforehand? Any other advice?

·
Banned
19 Posts
The generally accepted limit in upgrading horsepower for a front wheel drive car is around 200 hp. Beyond that, the OEM Passat suspension is not a good match and you would loose traction. Maybe with some suspension mods and wider sticky tires you could handle another 10-20 hp.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The generally accepted limit in upgrading horsepower for a front wheel drive car is around 200 hp. Beyond that, the OEM Passat suspension is not a good match and you would loose traction. Maybe with some suspension mods and wider sticky tires you could handle another 10-20 hp.
Based on what?? 🤔🤔

I would do a health check on the car. A compression test, leak down/boost leak test etc. Inspect for old worn hoses (especially in the PCV, N112, N249, SAI, EVAP system).
Scan for codes, make sure all maintenance is up to par, etc.

You don't know how much tuners love a car coming into the shop that is healthy and has next to no issues.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Based on what??

I would do a health check on the car. A compression test, leak down/boost leak test etc. Inspect for old worn hoses (especially in the PCV, N112, N249, SAI, EVAP system).
Scan for codes, make sure all maintenance is up to par, etc.

You don't know how much tuners love a car coming into the shop that is healthy and has next to no issues.
Agreed, and time on a belt and OE tensioner is 100k/3 years. That tensioner is a very known weak point.

I would personally upgrade the intercooler, get a high quality catted DP and drop in DRY air filter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Huh?

Reactions: MiltDoggie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wtf are you talking about? The Passat 1.8t is a 3500+ lb car, and based off the Audi C5 platform; even in fwd form, they laugh at 200 hp. Almost as much as I’m laughing at you rn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Wtf are you talking about? The Passat 1.8t is a 3500+ lb car, and based off the Audi C5 platform; even in fwd form, they laugh at 200 hp. Almost as much as I’m laughing at you rn

It's a B chassis car from inception to 2006, then it became a C chassis car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a B chassis car from inception to 2006, then it became a C chassis car.

It’s called a b chassis by Volkswagen, but it’s really a narrowbody C5 Audi chassis. The rear diff, driveshaft length, rear suspension and subframe, and all rear mounting points are 100% C5. B5 Audi stuff won’t fit. Up front, sure it’s the same as a B5 Audi, but so is a narrowbody C5, sooo. Example. If you were to 2.7t swap the car, you’d use an allroad as a donor, because NOTHING aft of the transmission will fit from a B5 S4, whereas literally everything from the allroad will bolt in, front to rear 100%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts