VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission is being rebuilt, the bands and clutches have been replaced, the valve body has just been found to be defective, some of the solenoids are not functioning. It will be sent off for a rebuild shortly.
My experience with auto trans rebuilds is limited to picking up the tab. This is the first VW trans of this type the trans shop has repaired. Any "constructive" suggestions before it is fully repaired and reinstalled into the car?
One used VW (recycler)said the valve bodies all go on these cars. Can you enlighten me on the merits of these trans, good and bad points?
Car will be sold when repair is completed.
Thank you in advance.
The mechanic said the model is a AG4-095/O1M

Modified by Brit101 at 11:09 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Re: Advice Before Rebuild is Complete of a O1M for a '95 Jetta 2.0L (Brit101)

in general, the VW automatics are moderate-duty performers... meaning they're built to cruise around, not to beat on 24/7...
i just found this link just now, about the Torque Converter Boost Vavle in the valve body, thought you might be interested in checking it out...
http://www.transmissionspecial...K.htm
also, when they get your tranny installed in your car, you must reset the TCM and the ECU with the VAG-COM or else it will shift irregulary and most likely make it run under "Home-Limp" Mode...
also, there are issues about the 01M transmission of not having a dipstick, but known as a sealed transmission... there is a way of checking the fluid by clicking here
good luck!

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Re: Advice Before Rebuild is Complete of a O1M for a '95 Jetta 2.0L (Brit101)

if you were keeping the car and looking for better performance you could look into changing the thrust washers to thrust bearings.
i haven’t contacted them but i was checking out that sonnax site before, looks like they have several replacement parts for the 01m. shift cups, solenoids, wiring looms governor.
http://www.transmissionspecial...n.htm

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Advice Before Rebuild is Complete of a O1M for a '95 Jetta 2.0L (DaFabolous2.0)

DaFabolous, great info, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Advice Before Rebuild is Complete of a O1M for a '95 Jetta 2.0L (baomo)

baomo, great information, have been in touch with Sommax, they have the solenoids, which my transmission is in need of, many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts