VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just a few dollars short of getting my last few pieces for my turbo when wouldn't you know it, my drivers side CV joint is broken on my 97 2.0 Jetta and needs to be replaced. I couldn't believe it left after 103K miles, with no major mods to the engine. I'm going to do it myself. The boots look OK, theres just the god-awful clacking from the CV joint when I turn. Has anybody replaced one of these on a MKIII that can give me some advice? I've heard from a few MI and MII guys... Do I need to do the inner and outer at the same time, or just the broken one? Is there a high performance replacement? If a stock one broke at just over 100K, who knows how long they'll last on a boosted motor. Would a Quaffe help? I don't know if spinning the tire that has the least traction as a result of the crummy open factory diff shortens their lifespan or not.
The replacement job looks really messy in the Bentley, it's enough to make me trade for a RWD car.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (Me109)

the best and cheapest thing is to buy rebuilt cv axles... and they are easy to install i did both of mine in about 1 1/2 hours... the hard part is to get the outer nut off.. i used a 2' pry bar with a 6' steel pole and jumped on it to break this 30mm nut loose... but the inter triple square nuts are much easier if you get the tool... you can get it at almost any auto parts store and you just put a 1/2" socket on the end of it..

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (MiCrO)

VW used to reccomend repacking CV joints at about 30-50K miles, now to look good on the Consumer Reports maintenance cost reports or maybe to make things crap out so we'll think we need new cars, they dropped the CV joint packing requirements from the maintenance schedules! If they had developed a new CV joint grease that would stand up to 100K miles of service that would be OK, but they still use the same moly grease as before. Take a look at your CV joints after 50K miles, does the grease look like new?....Not it turns to a thin oil and looses its lubrication capabilities. You're lucky to get 100K miles out of a set of joints with no maintenance! I'd repack the other axle joints too or if you've got $200-300 just opt for rebuilt drive axle set, that way you get new boots too. Just make sure you crack the axle nuts loose B4 jacking up car! Use either impact gun or a long pipe on a good ol Craftsman breaker bar. Use new locking nuts and retorque to Bentley specs!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (spitpilot)

$200 - $300??? thats really high!!!! i paid $100 for a set and they have a lifetime warranty... same price for whatever cv axle a1, a2, a3... they just need a core..

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (MiCrO)

$50 for each axle...that's cheaper than buying boot kits!!! Where did you get em?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (spitpilot)

Sounds like changing the whole axle is the way to go. I'm still concerned about long term durability with regards to the boosted motor, so does anyone know of a tougher (aftermarket)? CV/axle?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: Advice changing CV joints? OR "WHY I H8 FWD!!!!!!!!" (Me109)

i got them from a local import parts store.. it is common arround where i am to see them even cheaper than that... these ones just happened to be convient...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.