VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 99 A4 1.8t quattro tomorrow with 84,000 miles its a 5 speed with sport package, and just had its timing belt replaced. The guy is asking about $12k. (which is right on blue book in my area)
MY question is what problem spots should i be looking for on a A4 with this many miles. I have a lot of experence buying and selling german cars but am not super comfortable with A4's yet.
Any special things I should check for? What are the problem spots with this year/ miles?? Any help would be great, Im looking for a reliable daily commuter (about 100mi's a day) I hope im looking at the right car!!!
Thanks
Brian

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (Flybry07)

If the guy just had the timing belt done, that's the major thing out of the way. Feel how the clutch is... had the car been modded at all?
Also, if you can get under the car, check the housing around the waterpump, make sure that it's not cracked or leaking at all. The waterpumps on the 1.8t's go sometimes. It starts out as a slow seepage.
Other than those, not too many major things.
-Tim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (SilverSLC)

Thanks Tim
NO the car is completely stock, that is as important to me as it being a 5 speed. I'll make sure to check the pump, what is the normal replacement interval for the water pump?
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (Flybry07)

bump

i'm reviving this topic. i'm a VW 2.0 driver and i'm about to move into 1.8T world. i was looking at a Jetta 1.8T, but then it occured to me that I've always like the A4 so mch more and now, after a few years, the 2000 and 2001's are in my price range and i'd much rather have those.
so, what about the water pump? regular change intervals? any other problems? also, what year did the A4's go from the red and yellow tails to the red and white tails?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (gravitymachine)

find out if he had the water pump and timing belt tensioner replaced when he did the timing belt. In many cases, with that many miles, the water pump bearings will give out after a new belt, with the proper tension is applied. It's best to just replace the water pump while in there. Also, the tensioner is in many cases more of the cause of tb failure than the belt it's self.

·
Banned
11,103 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (gstrouse)

the tailights and hood and headlights and side markers all changed in 1999.5

·
Banned
11,103 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (SilverSLC)

they removed the windshield wiper sprayers.

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (mikemcnair)

Really? Huh, I never noticed that one.
Where did they put them? Wiper arms? Below the hood at the base of the windshield?
-Tim

·
Banned
11,103 Posts

they attached them to the underside of the hood, it really smoothes out the hood if you notice it. some folks don't really see it though.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (mikemcnair)

was there ever a power upgrade to the engine over the years? the VW 1.8 went from 150hp to 180hp.
what did they change on the engine from year to year. different turbo?

·
Banned
11,103 Posts
Re: Advice for Looking at a 99 A4 1.8t tomorrow Any help would be great!!! (gravitymachine)

late in the 2001 model year the 1.8t was upped from 150 hp to 170 hp. the only difference was the addition of variable valve timing. thay all had the same turbos until the 337 gti, or tt.

·
Banned
11,103 Posts

p.s. the up in power was only on the audi, the vw engine in the jetta and golf went right to 180 hp, unless you were looking at a passat, which is also 170 hp

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

no, the VW 1.8T started at 150hp until mid 2002. they upgraded the turbo and the programming for 180hp.
so the A4 1.8T had similar change though? 150hp to 170hp? but only because of vvt? is that correct?

·
Banned
11,103 Posts

actually the 1.8t is still available in the 150 hp trim, and the turbo is only different on the cars with 180 hp, not the ones with the 170hp... (k03/04 hybrid, aka "sport turbo") it has the same housing, but a different impeller. the cars with 170 hp still have the k03. and yes, the variable valve timing was the major change that gave more power. i'm not sure why they wouldn't have just put the same turbos on all of the cars. but what the heck do i know...

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

yeah, that's right. the 150hp is still available in the US on the Beetle Turbo and it's used elsewhere in the world on other VAG vehicles.
As for the power upgrades . . . thanks for clearing that up. I'm so used to reading about what's going with the VW side of the fence that I never really read on what was happening with the Audi version of the engine. And you're right, why not upgrade the Audi turbo, too? It seems like the A4 could use that extra 10hp out of the box.
Again, thanks for putting up with my persistance questioning.

·
Banned
11,103 Posts

no problem, on the other side of the pond there is supposedly a 2.0t that will hit our shores soon, this is said to be a 200 hp motor, it would be cool to see if it makes it's way over here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts