VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is an easy fit silencer that I could use on my straight through exhaust pipe for the mot test as it seems to be that the exhaust silencer or muffler can't be removed without removal of the rear axle or at least lowering it.

I'm hoping to get an easy fit silencer to go on the long straight part of the exhaust up near where the handbrake is. I would cut the pipe to suit the silencer length if it would work and be good enough to reduce noise for mot test. Does anyone know if this can work or if so where to get a quick fit silencer? All help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Cut the pipe anywhere you like and then slip in a muffler and use these kind of clamps which makes it very easy to swap out. http://www.gsfcarparts.com/280bm0060 I used to run a high flow cat all year round and then when I did emissions testing I would swap it out for the stock one and I used the above clamp to make the swap fast and easy. These don't crimp the pipe and they allow you to butt two similar pipes together easily. Measure the space you have and look at what kind of mufflers or resonators you can fit in there. On my Corrado I was only able to fit a Cherry Bomb resonator in there and it does not do a lot to quiet things down. http://www.jegs.com/i/Cherry-Bomb/545/87510CB/10002/-1 I have a cat which goes right into a Cherry bomb using the clamp linked above and then a straight pipe down the tunnel and over the axle where it goes into another resonator and out the back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot SpacedOutStar that's exactly what I am after only that cherry bomb resonator seems to be designed for a muscle car sound which I would like but can't see the boys in car test being too happy with it. I will have a look at what I can get to fit in that exhaust tunnel and hopefully find a resonator like yours only more silenced.

I was not sure if a resonator like the cherry bomb style or shape would be enough to pass the noise test in my location as that was a problem last test.

So do you know if there is a resonator like that which will work for diesel golf for the test? Also to save confusion for me can you tell me what the difference is between resonator, silencer, muffler and back box as I'm a little confused with that, forgive me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts