VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really do with some advice please - not quite sure what to do...
Situation is I have a mk2 1.3 golf which has developed some serious engine problems - poor running, poor idling, constantly threatening to stall etc etc. At first I thought this was the carb (as did others), so I had the carb stripped and cleaned. small improvement.
next I had all the valves replaced at the cost of several hundred pounds. No improvement. Now I was feeling a little pissed off.
Anyway, I complained to the place that did the valves that it was still running crap and they said the pistons/piston rings were going.
Took it to VW dealership to get their opinion today. Guy in the VW garage said compression on no.1 cylinder was down to 100 (all other cylinders about 200) so this seems very clearly (to me at least) to be where the problem lies. However, place I took it to denies it is a valve problem, as I say and reckons it is piston problem (which obviously they want me to give them more money to fix). VW says that if it was piston problem, the car would be smoking badly. The car doesn't smoke at all.
Can anyone tell me how I could find out for sure whether the valves definitely are to blame? I have had them done once and VW want to charge me 250quid to do it themselves - obviously I don't want to spend this money unless the valves definitely are the problem - i've already thrown good money at it only to have nothing improve.
Does the lack of smoke from exhaust indicate it is definitely a valve problem? Does it indicate it definitely isn't a piston problem?
Is it worth spending 250 on the valves at VW or better to get a new engine?
please please please please help!
Cheers
Dan
[email protected]

[Modified by pilchard, 6:33 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: advice needed - please help (pilchard)

Get a compression gauge. Get the engine good and hot. Check the compression in cylinder #1 (10 compression strokes), take note of pressure. Add one Teaspoon of engine oil to the cylinder #1. Check compression again. If the reading is higher than the first , you need rings and usually a rebuild. If the readings stay the same, you need valve work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: advice needed - please help (gearhead455)

it was 100 dry, 125 wet. that mean it is the pistons/rings after all, even though there is no smoke???

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

If it's the compression ring you would have excess crankcase compression and it would be blowing oil into the air filter.
You need a cylinder leakdown test carrying out, that will tell you where the pressure is being lost.
Whoever did the valve job must be crap if they did that and it's no better, did the same place do the carb?
Find yourself a better garage, one that doesn't charge for diagnosis.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts

A Leakdown Test will give more information than a straight compression test.
fat biker

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Re: advice needed - please help (Vdubs)

quote:[HR][/HR]If it's the compression ring you would have excess crankcase compression and it would be blowing oil into the air filter.
.[HR][/HR]​
eek
My car's intake is full of oil. The tube to the air box is all mucky,
New engine time

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: advice needed - please help (citat3962)

quote:[HR][/HR]If it's the compression ring you would have excess crankcase compression and it would be blowing oil into the air filter.
eek
My car's intake is full of oil. The tube to the air box is all mucky,
New engine time[HR][/HR]​
You might just have a blocked breather, you would have more symptoms than just oil in the air filter ie low compression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts