VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I came across a 81 VW Caddy on Craigslist is was a decent price so going to take a look at it. My question to vast knowledge of vortex is there anything specific that I should look at when when I go kick the tires on this on it. The ad said that it needs a brakes but it is in good shape also the transmission linkage is sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
I myself just picked up a caddy too. The usual rust spots to check, shock tower near firewall, floor pans, windshield cowl. Being a pickup, bed and under carriage. From the pics the caddy looks pretty good. Interior looks great with the dash looking to have no cracks. If its not too much $$, buy it. Caddy's are only going up as is all MK1's.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Transmission linkage is pretty easy to fix, parts place for VW has the whole kit to redo the linkage. I just did that on a caddy. I have two caddys they are a lot of fun! Mine are both diesel, looks like that one is the gasser. Yeah, strut towers, floor pans, those are some of the rust spots. Check for halfway repairs.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,788 Posts
So I went ahead and bought the Caddy. Picking it up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats!

You're going to need strut mounts.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
yeah looks pretty solid

clearly the engine photo the engine is running which is a huge bonus
CIS fuel system is easy to work on if you learn how it works
a careful eye will notice the Fuel Distributor is CIS-Basic, that means you probally have a 1.6L engine

focus on cleaning it up a bit and replace the "wear items" like struts, shocks, brakes, hoses, belts. and you should be golden!

also note the rear bumper might not seem legit, but a ton of aftermarket and dealer installed parts were pretty common for the bumper on these beasts.
personal taste but i prefer the original than these aftermarket/dealer options

love to see an original unmolested vehicle in the wild
remember its only original once, so enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.