VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week I test drove two S4's that i'm looking to buy.
First one,.. 2000 6 speed, silver w/ white leather,.. all options..50k miles..$22,550.
2nd 2001 6 speed, blue w/ blue alcantra, 30k miles,...$24,000
the 2000 felt slower than the 2001 though. i heard the turbos spooling up in the 01, but didnt in the 00. They are both from dealers. It makes me wonder if there are problems with the turbos or something else in the 00.
Any way i could check? Whats everyone's recommendations??
staz

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: advice on new s4 (marcstaz)

Not sure what you mean when you say you could only hear the turbos in the '01 spooling up; you should have heard both. If the turbos are bad, you'd hear a lot of whining coming from the turbos - and it would feel like an A4!!
Best way to check on the turbos is to get a boost gauge, have it installed and see for yourself. Since you don't have that luxury, the next best way is to find someone with a VAG and run a boost check while test driving each car.
Having said that, go with the 01. It is a rare and coveted color combo - and the price is super for the miles. If it's an Audi dealer, get the Audi Assured warranty; you'll be covered for another 20K miles.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: advice on new s4 (marcstaz)

First.....it's a light grey that Audi calls "Silver". Sorry, I'm just a stickler on the terms..cause if you see white interiors....then you will see the huge difference.

Anyway, back to the subject. I always say get the lowest mileage, best condition car you can find. Because you hear the turbos does not mean somethign is wrong with the one you didn't........sometimes loud turbos could be you have a leak and they are spining faster to produce the request boost by the ECU or the signs of a turbo that's in less than ideal condition. People will tell you if you hear a certain sound that the turbos are on their way out.....while that can be true, many have been 30, 40, 50k miles or more with that same sound. Only way to know is to log it with a VAG or have a boost guage to determine if the car is making the boost it is supposed to.
You say the 00 felt slower.....you need to hook up a VAG COM to the car and check for codes. Then check certain hoses for tears/leaks. Is the blue car Nogaro or Santorin? If it's Santorin with the blue alcantara, that's kind of a rare combo...if it's nogaro with it...I've seen many of those running around.
Either way, get the dealer to hook the VAG 1552 to both cars and check for DTCs and have them pull up a vehicle service history on the cars....that way you can see what it's been to the dealer for under warranty.....give you some insight on how they were treated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts