VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 2008 Rabbit a few weeks ago after wrecking my old project truck. I didn't trust my daily driver without a backup so I traded it in. I also just received a fat direct deposit from the VA, so the bunny's gonna get some lovin'.

The list:
Euro blackout headlights from ECS (my stockers are scratched to hell)
Thule Traverse roof rack for my bikes
Integrated Engineering SRI kit (ordered)
Eurojet 2.5" cat-back (ordered)
WRD Coilovers (ordered)
Kenwood head unit and all new speakers (still deciding on what to get)
ECS stubby antenna

Eventually:
R32 brakes
18" O-Z Superturismos

Started with this:

Downsized my wheels and tires since the 18's that came on the car were warped. These also actually fit in the fenders so they shouldn't rub with the coilovers. MSW 17x8s and Hankook V12s.

Currently sits like this:

This weekend I'm doing general maintenance. I should have at least the IE kit by Thanksgiving weekend so I'll be doing that, replacing plugs and filters, and probably replacing knock sensors since I think mine are on the outs. We'll see what VCDS says when I get my cable.

Pardon the cruddy cell photos. I'll be using the Nikon for everything else.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah this has potential, a blank canvas for you to make it your own, and it will be fun to watch a build time line from the start. Welcome and good luck, and if you want headlights with black trim on the inside, get the ones from ECS that came on the TDI cup Jetta. Those are good factory halogen units, complete with the little VW symbol inside:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah this has potential, a blank canvas for you to make it your own, and it will be fun to watch a build time line from the start. Welcome and good luck, and if you want headlights with black trim on the inside, get the ones from ECS that came on the TDI cup Jetta. Those are good factory halogen units, complete with the little VW symbol inside:)
I ended up getting (these) from ECS to save a little money. I could blow a ton of money on this project if I wanted to, but I'm putting a lot of it aside so I can move back up north in the next year or two, and for now, move to a different apartment. The only thing I'm going high-dollar on is the engine because, well, it's the engine. :p That's why I went with the cheaper WRD coils too. This project should go pretty quick since I have most of the parts ordered. The only things I'm not doing right away are the brakes but when those get too worn I'll upgrade. Same with the wheels. I got a killer deal on the set and the tires are almost brand new, so it will be awhile before I need another set. I'm trying to get everything else done by the end of next month so I can take a test roadtrip before I go on vacation in January with the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We're having some uncharacteristically wintery weather in Texas this weekend, but I managed to change my oil, fuel, and cabin filters and get my new headlights put on. Also realized my bumper cover is all jacked up and even cracked by the driver's headlight so there's another project to the list. But I'm less of an aesthetic guy than a performance guy, so it'll be on the backburner.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had a productive holiday. Didn't get any ham or turkey but I did get plenty of cuts and bruises on my hands.

So far I'm really impressed with this setup. The sound is just ridiculous and the SRI and tune definitely gave this thing a huge kick in the pants, especially in the high revs. Sometime next week my Eurojet pipes will be here so I can't wait to hear that sound. Speaking of which, on my way home from dinner with a friend Sunday, some dude in a Civic SI pulled up next to me and decided to hammer on it when the light turned green. Even with my stock car I pretty much walked him even though he had a 30HP advantage. I thought that was funny.

I have a friend coming to help me with my stereo and speakers tomorrow, so I'll get him to take some video for me. The coilovers go on Saturday and the Yakima should be here tomorrow so it should go on Sunday. After the past week's weather the Dub seriously needs a bath so I may take it out to the park to take some good photos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I decided to go the ECU swap route rather than sending mine in. My backup pickup truck got totalled a couple of months ago and the Cummins I usually borrow is down with a bad clutch after just getting a new one put in a few months ago. Anyway, I got no new codes or lights and everything seems to work fine, except my windows won't roll down automatically anymore. Not sure what is up with that.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Want. So want.

When you bought the kit, how did you install the tune? Replaced the ECU, a "loaner tool", or went to a shop and got the UM tune?

Only reason I ask is there's not really a UM dealer near me, and I can't put $500 down on a loaner tool. And I've heard nothing about IE sending out ECUs with it, and sending old ones back

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want. So want.

When you bought the kit, how did you install the tune? Replaced the ECU, a "loaner tool", or went to a shop and got the UM tune?

Only reason I ask is there's not really a UM dealer near me, and I can't put $500 down on a loaner tool. And I've heard nothing about IE sending out ECUs with it, and sending old ones back
I went the replacement route. It's a $200 core charge but nothing extra once you send your original in. The biggest PIA is getting the cowl off and back on. I gave up on getting mine back on, especially since I'm doing my coilovers Saturday. Email their sales department and they'll hook you up with an ECU. I got not new codes or anything. Except for some reason the convenience feature on my windows won't work even though it's showing they're enabled in VagCom. I'll have to do some messing around with my coding.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I went the replacement route. It's a $200 core charge but nothing extra once you send your original in. The biggest PIA is getting the cowl off and back on. I gave up on getting mine back on, especially since I'm doing my coilovers Saturday. Email their sales department and they'll hook you up with an ECU. I got not new codes or anything. Except for some reason the convenience feature on my windows won't work even though it's showing they're enabled in VagCom. I'll have to do some messing around with my coding.
So they charge you $200 for the new ECU? Seems like a good deal if you ever want to revert back to stock. I'd probably send mine back anyways.

If I had $2000, I would so spend it on the IE SRI kit and a Eurojet exhaust. I'm so jealous of what you have

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So they charge you $200 for the new ECU? Seems like a good deal if you ever want to revert back to stock. I'd probably send mine back anyways.

If I had $2000, I would so spend it on the IE SRI kit and a Eurojet exhaust. I'm so jealous of what you have
Yeah, they add an extra $200 to the total and refund it when you send it back. I think my total came out to $1800 and a few bucks with shipping. I paid the extra $75 for the powdercoated manifold.

Yeah, the only reason I'm getting to do this project is because the VA owed me A LOT of money. On my last project I was spending $100 at a time at the end of the month, but parts were a lot cheaper. Hopefully once all this stuff is done I can calm down with the projects or next thing you know I'm going to be putting a turbo in.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
To make your windows automatic again you just roll them all the way down then all the way back up. :) its a memory thing in case you remove the battery with the window half down or so on...

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 41 Posts