VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've bought a 1995 MK3 Golf GT, with this engine. It has a 276 Schrick cam, and Friedrich Motorsport inox exhaust from the cat. When the cam was installed by the previous owner, they replaced the hydraulic tappets, but he wasn't sure about the springs. Should I worry about them? I've read that OBDII engines (at least ABA) has wekaer springs compared to OBDI ones, but what about AFT (only came in OBDII)? The german forums are saying that it has a sharp cam from the factory, and its often used in older engines for tuning. The Schrick cam was installed several years ago, and the engine runs fine (idle is a high, but not a big deal for me. Low-end TQ is okay, and its really lively after 4k :D), he even used the car on track days.

And my other question: should I upgrade something else? I have OEM airbox, manifold and cat. Manifold should be okay, its from the 2.0 8v GTI (4-2-1), and I dont want K&N filters, because I'm using the car on the street most of time. Maybe a chip would be neccesary to match the cam (even though it works fine with the standard ecu, idle is around 950rpm, but really stable)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I don't see the purpose for running an engine to 7k+ but if you do, I would not think twice but to replace them. You do not want to experience what happens when something goes wrong at that RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not gonna use it over 7k, because of the rev limit. It goes perfectly well from 4k to 6.5k But thank you for the answer, I'm gonna check the springs when the next oil change comes!

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
So, you are going to change the oil, gut the top of the head so you can check the springs, then what? I would just replace the springs with what you want. Therefore you will know. I doubt if you have a spring tester in your tool box. Not many people do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, you are going to change the oil, gut the top of the head so you can check the springs, then what? I would just replace the springs with what you want. Therefore you will know. I doubt if you have a spring tester in your tool box. Not many people do.
I'm gonna replace them, with Scrick's spring kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.