VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
991.2 GTS
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 16 years, finally got my fun car (warning: cubic inches) (1969 Camaro SS 396)

I have been on a car forum since 2000. I have had motor trends open, circled. A constant list on Autotrader, just waiting for my moment. When I was young, practicality ruled. Wait till you're older and have a job. You cant handle horsepower. College, Medical School, Residency, Marriage, a kid, and all of a sudden I had my drivers license for half my life and still hadn't tasted the forbidden fruits of a high horsepower RWD car.

I was close. In high school coming back from a baseball game, we passed a GTO and my mom asked my dad if we wanted to redo it together. He wasn't really a car guy. We went and looked at a '68 Camaro (red, white stripes, 350 auto) and was THIS close to pulling the trigger, but he said I needed modern early 2000's safety and creature comforts

Dont get me wrong, my life was not horrendous. Started with a V6/Auto Camaro, plenty for a high schooler. Passed on a Legacy GT 5m in favor of the more sensible Accord V6 Auto Sedan. Traded that for a 335 - but xi and Auto. Fun, but not quite there. Traded the 335 on a Jeep for kid friendliness. But I still had my list. Time progressed, student loans regressed and bank accounts increased. It was time to make my move. Should I trade the Jeep on a fun car? Should I add a 2nd? Does it need to fit the family? S4, C43, Boxster, Mustang all considered and passed by the wayside.

I had a deal cut on a great E46 M3 6 speed convertible. So I sent it to my wife, who I had been annoying almost daily for 3 months. She was over it. But unbeknownst to me, she had been talking with him in secret. Her original goal was for him (the financial planner) to say hold off. But he was now becoming a car guy (with the addition of a 31 Model A) and with 2 of my friends parents passing in the last 2 months, he wanted to do a father son project. Ignore the E46, lets look for some big blocks.

I'm probably the only person who has cross shopped a E46 and a 1st generation camaro on the first day.

But we ended up with a 1969 Camaro SS 396. Not numbers matching, so I dont feel guilty if I do anything non stock to it.

Still waiting for delivery (shipping companies can be annoying). Bought sight unseen.

[video]https://youtu.be/qTOGUuj5QY4?t=433[/video]

·
Registered
22,296 Posts
How can it be a fun car when that coupe body has 0.5% less tortilla rigidity than a sedan?

Jokes aside congrats that looks niccceeee :thumbup:

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,720 Posts
Stunner. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Quality Sunday post. Your mom sounds like a good one for suggesting a family build like that. Love the hounds tooth :cool:

Post some more pics up when it arrives :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I'm praying for you. The fresh black overspray on the exhaust is making me queasy.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Dont get me wrong, my life was not horrendous. Started with a V6/Auto Camaro...
How is that not horrible? :p Your current project, OTOH is far from horrible. Congrats! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Gorgeous car, best of luck with it. I hope it gives you many happy years. :beer:

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,605 Posts
Congrats, car looks like it will be a lot of fun. From the pics it looks pretty close to perfect, but mentioned not worrying about messing it up since it's not numbers matching. So. What's the plan?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 177 Posts