VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we got the engine swapped and tried to crank it and the lower radiator hose blew off and coolant came pissing out. We connected the hose and tried cranking again and the coolant tank cover blew off. This engine is supposed to be good and the last thing I want to do is take it apart and change the head gasket. I am hoping it is something silly with did during reassembly. What would cause this preassure? We replaced the water pump, thermostat, coolant tube and new gaskets. Any help on what to look for or test would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Modified by mnikes at 9:39 AM 3-21-2010

· Registered
511 Posts
Re: After 2001 Jetta VR6 Engine Swap (mnikes)

It doesn't sound good, it seems like you did everything correctly. Remove the coolant cap and try it again, if coolant comes it out it sounds like a cracked block/head or a head gasket. Pull the plugs and look for coolant and then do a compression test with the coolant cap off and on to see if there is a difference.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: After 2001 Jetta VR6 Engine Swap (LuvToHate)

Confirmed bad head gasket. Did a compression test and 1 cylinder is dead with two others very low. This is a lesson to be learned not to buy a motor without a warrantee or hearing it first. Now I have to chase the guy for my money back. He is ducking me. I have an engine coming on Monday with 66000 miles on it that I paid 1500 for. A year warranty and 6 month labor warrantee. Hopefully this one works out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.