VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i finally finished the 10.1" swap and somewhere in the process shattered the already failing CV joints, resulting in a complete axle replacement. Now nearly $400 later the suspension seems to be out of whack.

When i make left hand turns at higher speeds (20mph+) The driver's side wheel squeals. The air pressure is right, so it's not that. It seems to skitter on the road, and has me very worried because it feels unsafe (like it's not in full contact with the road). Any idea's what this could mean? Did i also damage the strut in the swap? is it the swap itself? help!

[Modified by ginsingVW, 11:08 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Re: After Brake swap, new Axles and CVs, the suspension is NOW messed up! (ginsingVW)

GET AN ALIGNMENT ASAP!! Your Camber and Toe are certainly screwed up. After doing anything with suspension, you need to get an alignment. Hurry, so your tires dont get screwed up too!!

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: After Brake swap, new Axles and CVs, the suspension is NOW messed up! (only8v)

Yes, you need an alignment. rather than being parallel, your wheels are angled toward each other. You will chew your tires up rather rapidly if this is severe enough. When mine was doing this, they were off by 4.5 degrees which chewed up the out side of a new tire in less than 5000 miles

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: After Brake swap, new Axles and CVs, the suspension is NOW messed up! (maxxam)

Sweet. I will get right on that! thanks guys! hopefully my friend at the dealer can hook me up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts