VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens only on road trips where the car gets driven for a few hours, turned off, and then you get gas, get back in the car and turn the key and nothing happens. I have to push start it when it happens. There's no starter noise or anything. Anyone have any ideas what's up with this problem?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (VR6FOOLS)

I had the exact same problem! The car would not start after driving for extended periods of time (over 20 min). I would have to try to start it maybe 5 to 10 times before the starter would turn the motor over. The MFA would also act funny.
I originally thought it was the ignition switch, but it still happened a few times after I replaced it.
Since the outside temperatures have decreased the problem has disappeared. I think the problem had something to do with the starter solenoid ... not sure though.
Gotta find some wood to knock on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (MarkF)

BUMP! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Anyone else??

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

i have a phone charger that I put into the lighter socket on the dash.
if i have this plugged in, i get what you describe - no contact when I turn the key.
I had this happen also the other week when my battery died - not enough power to throw the solenoid.
I guess if your battery is OK, and you have nothing plugged in, then you could have a bad earth maybe?
Cheers,
Jules

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (jcorallo)

Heat soaked starter/solinoid. Shouldn't be happening. Check all electrical connections. Think about replacing solinoid.
Marc

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (Norm95)

I recently had same problem, but had noise from starter trying to kick over. Found out that it was bad terminal on battery. If you can twist or turn connections to battery and they are as tight as possible then think about getting new ones. YOu shouldnt be able to turn the connection when tight as possible. U might not be recharging the battery enough. Also what Norm95 said sounds possible as well. Hope this helps,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (QuickBlackGTi)

i had this problem once after a hard run then when i turend the engine off and back on within a minute or so. my friend just told me to give it some gas as i turned the key and it worked. just make suer your in neutral
i think it has something to do with either the batter connection or over heating. i recently cleaned out my battery connections because my ABS light kept on coming on and it hasnt had the problem with restarting. so u might just want to connect your batter connections in conclusion. spray some WD 40 on it and mabye file it a little bit. thats all i can think of

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]This happens only on road trips where the car gets driven for a few hours, turned off, and then you get gas, get back in the car and turn the key and nothing happens. I have to push start it when it happens. There's no starter noise or anything. Anyone have any ideas what's up with this problem?
[HR][/HR]​
What you got there is a heat soaked solenoid.
What you can do:
1. Replace solenoid.
2. When it happens, smack the solenoid with a BFH.

3. Keep a screwdriver or some such long piece of metal and with the ignition on, arc across the solenoid and starter terminals, that'll get it.
4. Install a hot-start relay.
As an air cooled bus owner you have done #2 and #3 before you finally give up and do #4.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: After driving a while, stopping for gas, car won't start. HELP! (nub0w)

VORTEX RULES! You guys is smart.

·
Registered
18,545 Posts

I had a similar problem with my last VW. The Bendix on the starter was sticking, and killing the starter. Just something to check.

·
Registered
245 Posts

I AGREE THAT IT IS THE SOLENOID. WE HAVE CURED THAT PROBLEM BEFORE BY FABRICATING (MY 50 CENT WORD) A NICE HEAT SHIELD FOR IT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts