VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using an aftermarket DVD based Navigation system in a Touareg? I am considering the Alpine system (300 or 900). Has anyone used these or the Pioneer or Kenwood DVD Navs in the Touareg.
Also wondering about surround sound processors and center channel speakers in the Touareg. Anyone seen this? Pictures? Thanks...

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (aks2023)

I am running the Kenwood, and its amazing. I am using the 8 inch touchscreen.

·
Registered
47,335 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (Leweyb)

Lewey, Did you get a bigger screen since your first install?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (Leweyb)

Quote, originally posted by Leweyb »
I am running the Kenwood, and its amazing. I am using the 8 inch touchscreen.

Any way you could provide a picture of your system? Is it integrated into the dash or is it external to the dash like the one spockcat has shown? Also is it hte Excelon version of the Kenwood NAV and are you using the Kenwood or the stock stereo system?
Thanks.

·
Registered
47,335 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (watson007)

Watson, the above photos are from Lewey's system several months ago. But I thought his screen was 6.5". That's why I asked him if he got a new screen. I can't tell by the photos the size.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (spockcat)

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
Watson, the above photos are from Lewey's system several months ago. But I thought his screen was 6.5". That's why I asked him if he got a new screen. I can't tell by the photos the size.

Spock you can do it! You've got the 1/8" headphone jack as reference...

·
Registered
47,335 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (rinaic)

Measured the top picture versus the radio. Could be 8".

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have always respected whatever Kenwood does in the car stereo department... does the system read/recognize the original Navtech CD's supplied with the car?? would any aftermarket player be able to read the stock NAV CD's??? if not, what kind of NAV CDs were u using when u shot those pix?? and last but not least, can you watch DVDs while the car is moving?? or does it shut the video feed down like in the stock unit?? cheers

Modified by Treggonist at 12:08 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
47,335 Posts
Re: (Treggonist)

Might be better to IM LeweyB these questions directly or at least a link to this thread so he sees the questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (spockcat)

The Kenwood looks nice. I had envisioned replacing the Touareg's factory stereo with a complete Nav/DVD system in the dash where the factory stereo once was. Also considering surround sound, but not sure where a front center speaker would fit.
Has anyone replaced their factory stereo with a DVD/Nav system. Is it a standard opening? Thanks agian for all hte helpful responses.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (aks2023)

Quote, originally posted by aks2023 »
Also considering surround sound, but not sure where a front center speaker would fit.

Probably where the front center speaker already is in the Touareg 11 speaker set up. Center of the dash, just in front of the storage bin. That's what the grill is for up there.
Or were you considering something bigger or more directional?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (4x4s)

I think this might have been discussed in lewey's original post, but if not, wouldn't deployment of the passenger air bag destroy that screen and possibly sending it flying like a missile through the cabin?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (mdjak)

One of the Kenwood Excelon options is a dual DIN in dash, touch screen unit. This would avoid any air bag conflicts.
That is what I am interested in. Tons of hook ups. Can handle NAV, Satellite radio, DVD, Playstation all from one unit. The NAV uses a single DVD. And yes, you can use the screen for DVD viewing while driving.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Wouldn´t the position of the screen be dangerous in the (rare) event of a collision?... it seems to be just in the way of the passenger airbag... and you know, no one would like a 8" screen "embedded" in one's face

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (12johnny)

Ok, whew, you guys can go with or without any outside help...
1. It is the larger 8 inch touchscreen
2. It uses 1 Kenwood DVD which covers the entire usa and Canadadada
3. It was installed originally as you see it using a panavise bracket from another vehicle application, just temporary. It has since been reinstalled properly. The new bracket holds the unit lower, and a passenger no longer is required to wear a HANS and helmit.
4. Having used touchscreen LCD's in cars I found them difficult to read safely when installed in dash due to the angle and glare. My company entertainment vehicle limoish Navigator Ultimate has the indash version of the smller kenwood touchscreen in it. Its a real pain to see if the sun is out. But maybe its just my very old tired 42 year old eyes.
5. I will post a new pic for you'se guys (and gals)
6. The kenwood has a three components to comprise its system:
a-the touchscreen itself, available in two sizes
b-the dvd reader, which will only read the nav disc, which I have installed in the right rear compartment.
c- a sort of "junction box" where everything plugs in, is under the pass dash and has a myriad (no how often do you get to say myriad????) of input and output jacks for backup camera's, kiddie cams, tv/vcr inputs, audio outs etc
d- The unit uses two speakers in its regular config, one tiny one in the back of the screen, almost useless. ANother small round voice speaker that sits on my dash left. In my navigator I added 7500 watts of audio, and the nav is wired into the system. This causes partial deafness when betty speaks up, even with the nav volume all the way down. For this reason I ran with the OEM speaker for the nav as I plan on, but havent gotten to having a system built for the treg by my stereo guru in Neveda.
e- There is no reason to use the tregs cd navs, they wouldn work and the data is not as complete. The dvd even has parking lots, millions of POI's etc. Everything but VW dealerships lol
f- Have a nice day.
g- the unit was modified by my installer, all functions work with the car moving. It does have the notification screen first, as the tregs do, but every function is usable. The gala wired was not affected and is in place as original. I do hook up a dvd player to it and it operates while driving, when betty has a instruction she pops in until her dialog box minimizes and the movie resumes. The unit has an optional remote but I never got it. Due tot he location of the unit, my kids can watch tv on long trips from the back left and center locations.

Modified by Leweyb at 7:50 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

Lewey, you posted a half hour ago. I want a plethora of pictures (now how often do you get to use the word plethora) now. Not later, but now. Drop everything, work, kids, wife, girlfriend, whatever the heck you are doing, get your camera and take pictures. Then, come over my house and install one for me.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (mdjak)

Ok, a day later and a dollar shorter I will succumb (now how often do you get to say succumb) to your request for updated pics...I'll give the girlfrined a few bucks, tell the wife to chilll and tie up the kids.
j/k....i'll give the kids a diazepam milkshake.low dose of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I installed a DVD based Pioneer system. The Pioneer has a touchscreen display and works perfect in the Touareg. Most of the connections are made behind the radio and the DVD player is in the back.
Pedro

·
Registered
47,335 Posts
Re: After market DVD based Navigation and after market surround sound?? (Pedro1)

I think in Texas this mounting would be illegal. Somewhere I read that they don't allow anything on the dash. Frankly, I wouldn't settle for anything but an indash solution.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

That is tne nicest wood steering wheel I've ever seen. That wood trim is also bery nice. I think, however, that I like tha manual stick even better.
Lewey, old pictures are floccinaucinihilipilification (now how often does one get to use one of the longest words in the English language).

But quick, you need spock's retrofitted pedals down there in the well. Those rubber ones got to go. And get the dead pedal too.

Modified by mdjak at 9:19 AM 5-22-2004

1 - 20 of 23 Posts