VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all. I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back, baby!
** EDIT, PICS SHOULD BE FIXED **
I truly believe this was the right car for me at the wrong time. I've had cars with manual transmissions my whole life but right now all the cars at our house (my wife's 2016 CX-5, my 2002 VW Cabrio and the the 2021 Mazda3 Turbo) are lacking in the 3rd pedal department. That may be a big part of the issue.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

There is so much to like about this car. First, have you seen the interior on these things? This was easily the highest quality interior I've have with any car. That red two tone motif was a great place to be. The Bose audio was the best setup I've had in a car from the factory. Zooming across intersections was effortless. The ride ate up crappy roads better than any other car I've owned as well. So what's the deal?

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Well, for starters, it's not exactly the Mazdaspeed reincarnated. While it's the quickest Mazda not called a Miata currently for sale, for me, it's just not fun. I prefer cars that reward being wrung out to redline, and this isn't one of them. Maybe I'm spoiled because my last two cars were a mk7 VW GLI and 1994 Mazda Miata, and both were far more fun to drive, if not as refined or as quiet.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

(not bad for a Maaco paint job)

Car Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle

(this interior was pretty love it or hate it-I loved it until I hated it)

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

(I think these repurposed MK6 wheels look good powder-coated black on here)

Speedometer Gear shift Car Vehicle Steering part

My wife's CX-5, also an automatic, is somehow more fun to rev out, even though it's 70hp down. The steering feels better in the older CUV and besides being slower, it's basically better at everything than the 3. It has more room and gas mileage is considerably better. And it's almost paid off! Sure, the infotainment isn't great, but that's exactly what the new car will have (plus Apple Car Play/Android auto).

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

My weekend car is a 2002 Cabrio and has just been called into active duty. It still has a tape player. And it's about as slow as a Prius. But you can't drop the top in a Prius. What it lacks in speed and tech it makes up for in gobs of nostalgia because of the old gauges, indigo/red lights. If it only was a manual...

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

(still a good looking car after 20 years - and a mild suspension correction)

This is why I sold my Mazda3. So I could save up for this car that is being factory ordered and will be in my hands in a few short months (The car pictured is not mine, just optioned exactly like mine).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

2022 Miata Club with the Brembo BBS Recaro package. The Recaro seats might be what I'm most excited about. Well, that and this color-Soul Red Crystal. If you have ever seen a new CX-5 in red, this is that color. It's absolutely stunning in person and I can't wait to detail it.

This has been a car I've been wanting ever since I started hanging out with Miata groups like Bay Area Miata Association and specifically in August of 2018, when Mazda had an invitation-only event for the ND2. The ND2 Miata was a mid-cycle update for the 4th generation Miata that added a higher redline (7,500rpm) and more hp. The redline thing was one thing I hated about the outgoing white hatchback. After 5,000rpm, the car just had no oomph. It had so much torque, it didn't need the revs, but it also wasn't fun to drive spiritedly. It's hard to explain but it really bothered me.

As you all know, I was rather fond of my little blue jelly bean, but it was 25+ years old and just wasn't quite nice enough to drive every day.
This new one aims to change that.
Anyways, now you know. I'm so damn excited. After the year I had I can't wait to have another bucket list car.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're car brothers with @kiznarsh! I drove his car before he bought it, and it's a ton of fun. Well done.
The crazy thing is I've only driven one ND, that was a 2019 RF, on my lunch break, 3 years ago. But local inventories are awful so I'm buying blind. I did sit in one when I sold the Mazda3, the salesperson who helped me actually has a Sport. I can confirm I still fit.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure don't fit, but I still had a blast. You'll fit fine, and have a great time. Can't wait to see it. Best choice on color too. **** slaps in the sun.
no lie, a couple of days ago, I was out for a drive at lunch, had my polarized aviators on (I believe I was excited about buying Top Gun tickets) and a red club with BBS' rolled next to me and my jaw literally dropped. It's so gorgeous.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So jealous of the folks that can fit in ND Miatas. I've tried multiple times at dealers to sit in NDs (hard and soft top) and the Abarth 124 to no avail.... I'm 2-3" too tall for them. Mazda has been killing it lately, glad to see you're sticking with those cars :)
There's always the BRZ/GR86, but I needed the convertible. For my sanity.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So jealous of the folks who can pull off dailying a Miata! My hobbies preclude it, but they are absolutely one of the most fun cars available at any price. It makes perfect sense why some of the "best" cars on the market are also winding up soulless to the point of boring. I've owned a few vehicles like that and while they do everything well, they also all feel interchangeable and forgettable in this wild ride of life and the heyday of ICE...

Super stoked for ya!
My hobbies are video games, car detailing and photography. I love going on drives to clear my head and it just wasn't fun at all in the Mazda3. The Cabrio will probably be sold soon, as well as it's not exactly a barn burner. But it IS fun to tool around in. I just refuse to park it outside so it'll have to go.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
None of the pics except the Miata (wait, it seriously had a Maaco paint job???) are showing up.
Congrats. I also have a 2022 Miata Club RF B/B/R on order, also in Soul Red Crystal. Would have preferred the soft top, but here in the midwest, I need winter-ability.

Looking at delivery in August, and it will look exactly like this:

View attachment 184630

View attachment 184639

I freaking LOVE Soul Red Crystal. It's possibly my all time favorite color of any car, at any price, period.

View attachment 184641

I was able to test drive a used one, and it's a carnival ride on wheels, so I threw caution to the wind and ordered one.
Heck yeah!!! The RF is easily the sexier of the two, so honestly, you can't go wrong with these. I will be amazed if I see this car before August.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, the 1st post should be fixed, but there was a limit of 10 photos, and apparently this website and sharing google photos from image address don't play nice so I'll post a few more pics of all the cars we discussed in separate posts.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
oh my god that NA miata...
what a beautiful car...

and yeah the Mazda3 is not really the same as it used to be. I think you'd be happier in a Civic Si which does get a stick. Kinda get your gripes.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Si was on my short list but the rev hang from that car, the GLI were ultimately non-starters. I want the closest experience to my 1994 Miata, and I think in a new (or newish) car, a Miata with an LSD and a 6 speed is the closest you can get. And since you asked nicely, here's more pics of my old Miata:

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Hood Light Blue
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Gear shift Car Satellite radio Radio Steering part
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
you can kinda solve that with a tune; downside is more emissions, which is what Honda was trying to do in the first place. Too bad there isn't a more driver-friendly way of dealing with that; hate rev hang.

My colleague has a 2019 Civic Si with 270-ish hp and no rev hang. Very nice and fun daily machine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My 2019 GLI had rev hang, and I'm not aware of any actual solutions, especially in CA, tunes are becoming more rare than a clean, cheap NA Miata.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Well then have I got a treat for you.
Walmart.com and others have rear wings you can put on ANY car!
Turn the grocery getter into a race car in minutes!

View attachment 185059
damn, maybe it's just me because it didn't work on the 250hp/320 lb-ft Mazda3 that has a wing on top of the standard spoiler and all I got was a car detailers nightmare. Water that was almost impossible to get out of there after every wash.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Congrats OP! A year and a half later and still really enjoying mine, especially after some suspension mods. Which reminds me I still need to finish editing that video...

The color (unsurprising) gets the most attention. I've had multiple people ask me who painted it.

Ummm...the Mazda factory?. 😂
I just checked out your Flickr, very nice work.
Progress by Kian, on Flickr

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm always surprised at how "not particularly fun" people report the Mazda3 Turbo to be with as much power and torque as it has.
It's crazy. It's almost like the easier you drive it, the better it is. But with that logic, why not just get the NA 2.5 with a manual? Yeah, I had no idea what I was in for. The best way I can explain it, it drives like a tuned VW TDI but without the MPG bonus. So you get a car with mountains of power down low, but it's not fun to rev out. In manual mode, the fuel cut starts right after 5k. But it's not ALL the time. It sucks. It's really a shame too, as it's really a good looking car, no matter what you think about the C pillar.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Disappointing report on the 3 turbo. My wife was thinking about getting that to replace her cx5. Doesn't really matter what I think though. If she likes it I'm fine with it.
Welcome to the red BBR Club club. I believe you will be the 4th on here. Absolutely brilliant car.
View attachment 185638
Maybe have her drive the CX-30? I just think the 5 is the gold standard, and the Mazda3 and CX-30 might just be too small. Those backseats definitely are. And definitely drive both engines...I actually prefer the higher revving of the non-turbo in our 2016 CX5, even if it seems much less refined.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
There are 2 Soul Reds. The earlier SR from 2016 to 2018 was just Soul Red. As of 2019, they added another coating to it and it became Soul Red Crystal, and the best way I can describe it is it is an Iridescent Candy Apple Red. SR looks darker in this pic, but SRC has MUCH more depth and color change.

View attachment 186071
In the Carmudgeon video Sporin posted in the You Need a Miata thread, Jason Cammisa calls it Soul Red Crystal George Mica and I can't see it in my brain any other way now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts