VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
Those engineers must have had so much.
saké?
I actually catch myself thinking about my 80's s*tboxes with excellent steering, hard narrow tires, insanely light and easy shifters, and 75 peak hp with maybe half that torque at anything below 4k rpm.
Fun with a capital slow. Lol.
On that note.. what could a person do with a cheap manuel tripot Mirage?
A proper used cheap 5 speed Mazda2 never came up locally for me.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
40,605 Posts
And this is why good classic Japanese cars are selling for alarming amounts now.
People want to relive that time when cars felt analog and direct and you were in total control of them.
The Japanese cars actually held up well enough to enjoy again.
OP- I totally understand.
While the (auto only) 2.5T Mazdas seem like nice cars, they just don't make me want to drive them like a good old slow but felt fast Mazda Protege5 did.
I test drove a manual Mazda3s 2.3 hatch when they first came out.
My first reaction was- this is a nice comfortable quick car, but it also feels less visceral than a slower Protege5.
What's more important: speed or feel?
Our Protege5 remains to this day one of our favorite cars that we ever owned. I should have kept it longer but was seduced by an ultimately disappointing Mazda6 Wagon (V6, manual).

I've been commuting all week in my '94 Miata and it really is a delight. Just simple, handles well, reliable (so far), and while the ride-in is chilly, the drive home after work is sublime.

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
Our Protege5 remains to this day one of our favorite cars that we ever owned. I should have kept it longer but was seduced by an ultimately disappointing Mazda6 Wagon (V6, manual).

I've been commuting all week in my '94 Miata and it really is a delight. Just simple, handles well, reliable (so far), and while the ride-in is chilly, the drive home after work is sublime.
You used to be able to commute in a subcompact and still see around other vehicles in traffic.
-
It too bad Mazda wasn't able to make the Kabura (a tweener between the RX8 and MX5 but with MX5 drivetrain) - I assume due to costs and the late 2000's recession.
A slightly bigger fixed roof Miata would be fine with me.
FWIW- I don't think Protege5s have jumped up in price like other fondly remembered Japanese cars yet.
Might be the time to get one again if a good one can be found.
On that note- how is the steering feel on the BRZ/FRS/86 siblings?

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, the 1st post should be fixed, but there was a limit of 10 photos, and apparently this website and sharing google photos from image address don't play nice so I'll post a few more pics of all the cars we discussed in separate posts.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
saké?
I actually catch myself thinking about my 80's s*tboxes with excellent steering, hard narrow tires, insanely light and easy shifters, and 75 peak hp with maybe half that torque at anything below 4k rpm.
Fun with a capital slow. Lol.
On that note.. what could a person do with a cheap manuel tripot Mirage?
A proper used cheap 5 speed Mazda2 never came up locally for me.
If you want to go down that path, I would recommend the Fiesta with the 1.0 turbo I3. You can easily swap in a cheap FiST suspension, it was available in a manual. I have wanted one (with cold weather package) but the manuals are very rare. Would give you at least some OEM upgrade stuff from the FiST.

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
If you want to go down that path, I would recommend the Fiesta with the 1.0 turbo I3. You can easily swap in a cheap FiST suspension, it was available in a manual. I have wanted one (with cold weather package) but the manuals are very rare. Would give you at least some OEM upgrade stuff from the FiST.
You needing proper FiSTing knuckles.
Steering knuckles that is.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
8,292 Posts
oh my god that NA miata...
what a beautiful car...

and yeah the Mazda3 is not really the same as it used to be. I think you'd be happier in a Civic Si which does get a stick. Kinda get your gripes.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
oh my god that NA miata...
what a beautiful car...

and yeah the Mazda3 is not really the same as it used to be. I think you'd be happier in a Civic Si which does get a stick. Kinda get your gripes.

The Si was on my short list but the rev hang from that car, the GLI were ultimately non-starters. I want the closest experience to my 1994 Miata, and I think in a new (or newish) car, a Miata with an LSD and a 6 speed is the closest you can get. And since you asked nicely, here's more pics of my old Miata:

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Hood Light Blue
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Car Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Gear shift Car Satellite radio Radio Steering part
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
The Si was on my short list but the rev hang from that car,

Oh gawd- good call on rev hang.
That absolutely kills the joy of driving a manual.
I test drove a new 99 Mustang (V6) and the rev hang just made me not even consider even though the car drive quote well otherwise (for the price/class).
What a terribly offensive way to deal with off throttle emissions.
1st gen carb'd RX7s got a flap added at one point that would completely close off the intake when off throttle- but that was done to help fuel economy as the engine would still suck back some intake charge with no throttle when revving hard..

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
The Si was on my short list but the rev hang from that car, the GLI were ultimately non-starters. I want the closest experience to my 1994 Miata, and I think in a new (or newish) car, a Miata with an LSD and a 6 speed is the closest you can get. And since you asked nicely, here's more pics of my old Miata:

View attachment 185022 View attachment 185023 View attachment 185024 View attachment 185025 View attachment 185026 View attachment 185027 View attachment 185028
oh...good....GOD.
yeah that's my kinda car. I would have bought that from you in a heartbeat.

I have a Mazda3 as a daily and an NB2 for fun. The Miata experience is second to none. My Mazda3 is less refined and pretty fun to drive, but if you're looking for maximum smiles, an ND2 has you covered bumper to bumper.

Best car I've ever driven was a black ND2 at a Mazda event on a closed course. What a car...

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Oh gawd- good call on rev hang.
That absolutely kills the joy of driving a manual.
I test drove a new 99 Mustang (V6) and the rev hang just made me not even consider even though the car drive quote well otherwise (for the price/class).
What a terribly offensive way to deal with off throttle emissions.
1st gen carb'd RX7s got a flap as one point that would completely close off the intake when off throttle- but that was done to help fuel economy as the engine would still suck back some intake charge with no throttle when revving hard..
you can kinda solve that with a tune; downside is more emissions, which is what Honda was trying to do in the first place. Too bad there isn't a more driver-friendly way of dealing with that; hate rev hang.

My colleague has a 2019 Civic Si with 270-ish hp and no rev hang. Very nice and fun daily machine.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
you can kinda solve that with a tune; downside is more emissions, which is what Honda was trying to do in the first place. Too bad there isn't a more driver-friendly way of dealing with that; hate rev hang.

My colleague has a 2019 Civic Si with 270-ish hp and no rev hang. Very nice and fun daily machine.

My 2019 GLI had rev hang, and I'm not aware of any actual solutions, especially in CA, tunes are becoming more rare than a clean, cheap NA Miata.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
Amazing how fast the R package aero bits take an NA Miata from "meh" to "HELL YEAH" for me:

Well then have I got a treat for you.
Walmart.com and others have rear wings you can put on ANY car!
Turn the grocery getter into a race car in minutes!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

21 - 40 of 69 Posts