VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Well then have I got a treat for you.
Walmart.com and others have rear wings you can put on ANY car!
Turn the grocery getter into a race car in minutes!

View attachment 185059
damn, maybe it's just me because it didn't work on the 250hp/320 lb-ft Mazda3 that has a wing on top of the standard spoiler and all I got was a car detailers nightmare. Water that was almost impossible to get out of there after every wash.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Premium Member
997.1 | ND2 Miata | X350 XJR
5,974 Posts
Congrats OP! A year and a half later and still really enjoying mine, especially after some suspension mods. Which reminds me I still need to finish editing that video...

The color (unsurprising) gets the most attention. I've had multiple people ask me who painted it.

Ummm...the Mazda factory?. 😂

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Congrats OP! A year and a half later and still really enjoying mine, especially after some suspension mods. Which reminds me I still need to finish editing that video...

The color (unsurprising) gets the most attention. I've had multiple people ask me who painted it.

Ummm...the Mazda factory?. 😂
I just checked out your Flickr, very nice work.
Progress by Kian, on Flickr

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,542 Posts
I'm always surprised at how "not particularly fun" people report the Mazda3 Turbo to be with as much power and torque as it has.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm always surprised at how "not particularly fun" people report the Mazda3 Turbo to be with as much power and torque as it has.
Why? Aren't basically all the reviews aligned with the idea that it's more Audi A4 than Civic Type R? Every review I've ever watched or read on the 3 Turbo says it's a wonderful car, and has lots of pull, but there is nothing really fun about it.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Disappointing report on the 3 turbo. My wife was thinking about getting that to replace her cx5. Doesn't really matter what I think though. If she likes it I'm fine with it.
Welcome to the red BBR Club club. I believe you will be the 4th on here. Absolutely brilliant car.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
All I have to add to this is

-IMO the best designed interiors in the last few years are Mazda and then Honda
-Soul Red Metallic or whatever iteration they’re on now is top 3 best factory red ever produced. I wanted our Explorer in Ruby Red Metallic but my wife said it’s not Soul Red, therefore she does not want. (Her CX5 was soul red)

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It's crazy. It's almost like the easier you drive it, the better it is. But with that logic, why not just get the NA 2.5 with a manual? Yeah, I had no idea what I was in for. The best way I can explain it, it drives like a tuned VW TDI but without the MPG bonus. So you get a car with mountains of power down low, but it's not fun to rev out. In manual mode, the fuel cut starts right after 5k. But it's not ALL the time. It sucks. It's really a shame too, as it's really a good looking car, no matter what you think about the C pillar.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
It's too bad we lost the Mazda2 in the US market.
The base 3 is now 3000 lbs.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Disappointing report on the 3 turbo. My wife was thinking about getting that to replace her cx5. Doesn't really matter what I think though. If she likes it I'm fine with it.
Welcome to the red BBR Club club. I believe you will be the 4th on here. Absolutely brilliant car.
View attachment 185638
Maybe have her drive the CX-30? I just think the 5 is the gold standard, and the Mazda3 and CX-30 might just be too small. Those backseats definitely are. And definitely drive both engines...I actually prefer the higher revving of the non-turbo in our 2016 CX5, even if it seems much less refined.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
All I have to add to this is

-IMO the best designed interiors in the last few years are Mazda and then Honda
-Soul Red Metallic or whatever iteration they’re on now is top 3 best factory red ever produced. I wanted our Explorer in Ruby Red Metallic but my wife said it’s not Soul Red, therefore she does not want. (Her CX5 was soul red)
There are 2 Soul Reds. The earlier SR from 2016 to 2018 was just Soul Red. As of 2019, they added another coating to it and it became Soul Red Crystal, and the best way I can describe it is it is an Iridescent Candy Apple Red. SR looks darker in this pic, but SRC has MUCH more depth and color change.

Red Font Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber Electric blue

Automotive lighting Rectangle Office supplies Office equipment Font

Soul Red:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Soul Red Crystal:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Side by side:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
There are 2 Soul Reds. The earlier SR from 2016 to 2018 was just Soul Red. As of 2019, they added another coating to it and it became Soul Red Crystal, and the best way I can describe it is it is an Iridescent Candy Apple Red. SR looks darker in this pic, but SRC has MUCH more depth and color change.

View attachment 186071
In the Carmudgeon video Sporin posted in the You Need a Miata thread, Jason Cammisa calls it Soul Red Crystal George Mica and I can't see it in my brain any other way now.

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
That is what the Miata is for I guess. But I understand what you're getting at.
I'm just dreaming of a time when affordable cars were lighter and "nimble" even if they lacked powa.
Even a base Corolla is pushing 3000 lbs now.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So in late 2018, Mazda USA partnered with the local NorCal Miata groups to unveil the updated NB2. It was the first time I got to sit in a 4th generation Miata. I remember saying out loud, but to no one in particular, 'I'm definitely getting one of these some day' as I sat in the white Miata Club, although I was never interested in the RF, no matter how good it looks in person. That's not why you get a Miata. At least it's not why I would.

The reviews that all say the ND is a return to the original NA, but with modern safety standards and (sadly) no pop up headlights. I loved every minute of my time in the NA, but I got to a certain point of my ownership where I just wish it was a little faster, a little more refined. I wished the AC didn't sap all the fun out of the engine. I was originally going to wait 3 more years for my kid to graduate high school, but priorities changed for me last year after I was nearly killed by a DUI driver. It took me 5 months of the Mazda3 to realize there's no time like the present to drive the car you have always wanted.

Like they say, 'life is too short to drive boring cars'. Boy howdy.

Sky Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

(on the way to Treasure Island for the NB2 event)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

(this color in person is just cheating. Once I saw this color I had no chance. I had to have one.)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

(drool)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

(If there was no such thing as Soul Red Crystal George Mica, this and Polymetal Grey aren't bad alternatives)

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering part

(this is where I was sitting when I knew I had to have one)

Sky Tire Wheel Water Car

(I'm never one to pass up a photo opportunity)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

(this was earlier at Radwood NorCal-the coolest car show/group on Earth)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

(I must admit, on 14" all seasons, you could drift around like an idiot, but I usually preferred the stickier summer tires)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

(I even drove from SF to Vegas just for a Radwood show)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

(and this, right here was the last photo I took before it was sold to a friend in December 2020.)

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The reason I bought that Mazda3 in the first place was that I was in a position to get out of my lease about 9 months early of my previous car, a 2019 Volkswagen GLI. The main reason for wanting to get out of the lease was that 3 payments were deferred at the beginning of the pandemic. My wife, a hairdresser, was forced out of work when everything shut down and deferring really helped us out. However, at the end of a lease you don't get to extend you payments 3 months extra, it all had to be paid up at lease turn in. Thanks to the ridiculous market, I was able to trade it in, pay off the car and use the equity as a down for the Mazda.

Honestly if there new GLIs or GTIs available when I was car shopping I might have bought those but I'm really not in love with the mk8 GTI and it's less than stellar infotainment. I still think the Miata is going to be amazing, it's just going to be a long wait. I'm extremely impatient, which is one of the reasons I traded in the GLI when I did.

Looks aside, this was a pretty great car. Mods included lowering springs, muffler delete, Euro short shifter (that might have been the best mod if not for...) and IE stage 1 tune. Some could say if I had done all this (besides the transmission mods because the Mazda3 is a torque converter style automatic. Well, no tunes were available in California, I wasn't going to lower that car, which looked much better at stock height than the GLI and well, the exhaust might have helped.

Regardless, I'm glad I did what I did when I did because going on the MazdaUSA website MX-5 builder, the car is now SOLD OUT for the 2022 model year.

Here's some photos of that GLI.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

(this was the last 'stock' image I took of the car, was lowered shortly after)

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Trip computer

(while the interior was not much of a looker, it was the first from VW to have the digital cockpit and the colored ambient lighting. It is all much better implemented in the mk8 GTI)

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

(I got these wheels from one of the Radwood founders, these Momo Heritage 6 wheels were intended to go on a van they were touring the country in. Luckily for me, they were made in the incorrect bolt pattern. This picture and several others were used on Momo's IG page. Also, peep that sweet vwvortex plate frame)

Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light

(definitely a better looking car from the rear corner)
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

(new plate frame -RIP The Buster-and added tint to smoke the amber turns)

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

(the ugly chrome headlight markers also got blacked out along with the emblem, which really improved the look)

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

(an opportunity to make my own 'black edition' came when I found a very cheap and EXTREMELY curbed set of mk6 Watkins Glen wheels. I had them repaired and powdercoated and I believe this is how the car should have appeared from the factory)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

(I do still miss this car from time to time - it really was a good FWD drivers car.)

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
22,196 Posts
I really enjoyed my time with that GLI. I took it Golfing, and I never go golfing.

I also did see Kian's ND this weekend, and I'm excited for you. You're gonna love it.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I really enjoyed my time with that GLI. I took it Golfing, and I never go golfing.

I also did see Kian's ND this weekend, and I'm excited for you. You're gonna love it.
I almost can't wait. But thankfully, the Cabrio has been really good. I topped off the AC and should be good for the hot temps coming up.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts