VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in a few forums, but has anyone installed an aftermarket panel filter for their Passat/Golf? Up to date has their been any improvement, problems with MAF sensor etc...
Or would it be better to simply stick to the OEM Paper filter
Your thoughts would be great

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Panel Filters (vwpassatTurbo)

Aftermarket filters should not cause any issues with the MAF, although I have heard more than a few problems with K&N, don't why. There are minimal gains from an aftermarket filter, the only advantage is that they perform better over a longer period than oem filters. Having said that you can replace your oem filter more frequently and probably maintain peak airflow just as well. I wouldn't expect anymore than 1-2hp improvement with an aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats what i heard Wal. I've just got the opportunity to buy a used K & N for only $25 bucks. Do u reckon i should get it?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: (vwpassatTurbo)

I think you'll be fine with it. Find out how many km it has if its done more than 40k i would get the service kit to clean and re oil it.

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Panel Filters (vwpassatTurbo)

I'm running a K&N panel filter in the GTI and to be honest I don't really see a reason to do so. Induction sound is improved marginally and not really much else IMO.
If you over oil the filter when cleaning that can screw with the MAF sensor. Personally I have had no problems at all. Frankly for the $100 odd it cost me I've had more enjoyment out of the alloy pedals I bought for around the same price.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Cheers Liam

·
Registered
870 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Panel Filters (minigolf)

I've had K&N for about 1.5 yrs without issues - but I cant say I really noticed any difference with the butt-o-meter when I installed it.
The MAF issues was more related to incorrect service procedure by over oiling which made its way into MAF - so you gotta take some of those posts into context. There are many more posts of people having them for thousands of km without issues.
As Wal said if it hasnt done too many km then $25 is a good price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. The filter has been used for about 5 months and looks in good shape in the pics. The guy has cleaned it, but not lubed as it will leak during postage. I'll just buy a new cleaner and recharge kit and lube it myself. I reckon its a steal for $25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts