VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an aftermarket CD player installed today. I drove around for about 50 miles afterwards and after those 50 miles, noticed a CEL as I was pulling into my driveway. Car seems to be running fine. Any ideas?
1998 1.8T Passat

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (Kellum)

There's a wire that connects to the stock radio called a "K-wire" which is linked together with the car's computer. When you install an aftermarket radio you need to disconnect this wire (just leave it open). I'm not sure what color it is, though. Who did the install?

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (Triumph)

Quote, originally posted by Triumph »
There's a wire that connects to the stock radio called a "K-wire" which is linked together with the car's computer. When you install an aftermarket radio you need to disconnect this wire (just leave it open). I'm not sure what color it is, though. Who did the install?
circuit city.

·
Registered
192 Posts

I've had an after-market radio in for over a year with no problems. I used a wire harness adapter from Crutchfield so it most likely disconnects the K wire since the after-market radio has no use for it.
Anyway, you need to have the codes pulled so you will know why your CEL came on, it could be something unrelated to the radio. Go to autozone or any other auto parts store and they can pull them for you.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (harthouse)

P1336 is the code.
The guy at Auto Zone said he had no idea what that meant!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Kellum »
P1336 is the code.
The guy at Auto Zone said he had no idea what that meant!

17744 P1336 Engine Torque Monitoring Adaptation at limit
Have you been doing burnouts? J/k, I have no idea what that means but that is the code description.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (Spd33)

Hopefully someone with a Bentley book can help you out. You may want to post that code at clubb5 for further help.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (Spd33)

Quote, originally posted by Spd33 »

17744 P1336 Engine Torque Monitoring Adaptation at limit
Have you been doing burnouts? J/k, I have no idea what that means but that is the code description.
thats sooo weird. I have an appointment at the dealer to get it checked out, good thing the car is still under warranty!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (harthouse)

According to my Bentley:
P1336 17744
Engine torque monitoring control limit exceeded
- Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor Page 24-30
- Check Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor Page 24-42
- Check Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor Page 24-50
- Check hose setup: Repair Manual, Engine Mechanical, Repair Group 21; charge pressure system with exhaust turbocharger, overview of turbocharging system

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (ctobio)

Quote, originally posted by ctobio »
According to my Bentley:
P1336 17744
Engine torque monitoring control limit exceeded
- Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor Page 24-30
- Check Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor Page 24-42
- Check Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor Page 24-50
- Check hose setup: Repair Manual, Engine Mechanical, Repair Group 21; charge pressure system with exhaust turbocharger, overview of turbocharging system
i dont understand this so i hope the dealer does

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

I have never, i say never got any code on my car! I have driven 58,000 km but none so far.
Am I been lucky without any problem, or dealers can program the car not to show any code???? Are they comming on the center display like other messagges come ("please refuel" or "Fasten seat belt")
I have a EU spec car though.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Aftermarket radio = CEL?! (Highline)

the CEL is in the tachometer.
Car is at the dealer right now getting a few things done. It's all covered by the warranty. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts