VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fit a rollbar in a cabby. Was lookin at an autopower bar from a MK3 golf for my MK3 cabby. Mainly looking to put the bar in for a good mounting point for harnesses. Just wondering if any has mounted a pre-fabbed roll bar kit in their cabby.
Ohhh yeah and I know the factory bar is sound for a rollover.... from what I have been told, some places are asking for more than that when racing.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Re: Aftermarket roll bar (Oldskoolvwlover v9.0)

A few people have installed a cage, but can't find them for you right
now- sorry
Have you asked in the little orginized racing forum
here on the Tex?
If you just want to install harnesses, then a cross bar or upper rear
stress bar would be sufficant for that http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Aftermarket roll bar (VeeDubDriver1990)

Back seat is already out.... trying to deal with what I wanna do to the upper rear seat (part above the folding seat) and the armrests/factory rear spealer mounts. I still want the car to look clean, probably just gonna mount 4 point harnesses to the old rear seatbelt location and build a false floor for now. Deal with the option of a roll bar in the future... hopefully I will be able to get into some events with the factory roll bar but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
Re: Aftermarket roll bar (Oldskoolvwlover v9.0)

Quote, originally posted by Oldskoolvwlover v9.0 »
probably just gonna mount 4 point harnesses to the old rear seatbelt location and build a false floor for now.

Someone said this wasn't a good idea last week or so- if you bolt the
shoulder harness into the old belt location and you get into a wreck,
you could be seriously injured.
Unless you want to bolt them to the top shoulder strap location...that
may be high enough to prevent any harm.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Aftermarket roll bar (VeeDubDriver1990)

If you search you will find a **** load of threads saying things both ways. I have researched a lot...... This is why I would like to do the roll bar because for many reasons it would be safer. As far as the mount for the 4 point harness..... the compenys that build and sell the harnesses (with SCCA approval) say that it is okay to mount them there. I could try and do the 3 point mount to the rear shoulder mount, the problem is the way it is mounted in an 00 cabrio. The belt comes straight up from about midway in the back seat and goes thru a slot in the upper back seat (when I get some pics I can post). So if I were to bolt to that location it would give a chance of flexing forward in an accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.