VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alpine deck i would like to install in my 06 passat. I was wondering exactly what i need to make this all go smoothly and work correctly. I know i need the dash kit since im going to a single din. Do i need a special wiring harness and antenna adapter also?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depending on the options on your car you may have some challenges. Your best bet would be to run your own wires and by-pass any OEM connections all together. That would require you replacing speakers, amps etc. Going the other route can be done, but would be the domain of a shop, or an experienced installer.

As an example, my car had OEM Dynaudio with factory Navigation. I wanted to add a subwoofer; in order to get a signal to the subwoofer amp I had to splice into the signal wire at the factory amplifier under the drivers seat. It was pretty simple for me, but I have been installing car stereos for 15 years.... depending on your level of experience it might be a little overwhelming.

I'd start with seeing if American International makes a dash kit, and check companies like Metra and PAC for wiring harnesses.

You will loose any MFD functionality with an aftermarket unit and if you have steering wheel controls you will need something like the PAC SWS adapter........

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not the dynaaudio and doesnt have the steering wheel controls. It's just the basic stereo so i thought it wouldnt be too involved. American international does have the dash kit too. Im just unsure of what else i might need to get.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is probably a wiring harness that would make things easier, but basically to connected a stereo you just need the power connections (12v Constant +, 12v Switched + and a Ground -), then if you are using the head-unit to power your speakers you'd run wire to the speaker locations.

The easiest and most straight forward thing to do would be to splice into wires in the dash and get your power and speaker there, but that can be scary if you have never done it....

Go to Crutchfield's web page and use there online "outfit my car". You can select the aftermarket stereo option and they will show you what you need. They sell a PAC Volkswagen Radio Replacement Interface, it is $120 but has what looks like a direct connection and will give you the best sound. Although I don't think you would need it if you were willing to pull new wire yourself.

If I were you, I would goto a professional or take a long Saturday: run a 12v wire from the battery, get a switched 12v signal from the fuse box, and ground it behind the dash, then run new speaker wire to each door and connect up your speakers there. You will need to take off the door panels, etc.. but your car will be as new if you sell it, or need to go back to stock; the next owner will appreciate that you didn't cut any wires.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
I have an Alpine deck i would like to install in my 06 passat. I was wondering exactly what i need to make this all go smoothly and work correctly. I know i need the dash kit since im going to a single din. Do i need a special wiring harness and antenna adapter also?
There are 2 dash kits you can use. There is the OEM one. And there is a Connects2 one. The Connects2 one is the closest match to the OEM finish, next to the OEM dash kit for single Din.

Next, is the wiring harness. Get the PAC CR2-VW harness. It will come with the ACC & Illum wires you will need for the install. The CAN-BUS system does not have this separately.

You will need an antenna adapter. It will have a blue wire on it. Connect that to the ACC wire. The blue wire is to power the antenna amplifier.

you can get all this from www.enfigcarstereo.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts